LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 159 users in the forums

Do Our WR & TE Fight for the ball

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Do Our WR & TE Fight for the ball

f**k no
Originally posted by susweel:
No, they are pussies who are afraid to get hit.

All the speed in the world don't mean s**t if you have no heart. Tell VD to watch some old footage of Brent Jones that dude was fearless.

Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Sounds like excuses for Smith's inability to throw accurately. Now it's our TE's and WR's who don't attack the ball. Amazing.

Well you see, Alex is a great QB, IF he has an all pro o-line, future Hall of fame Wide outs, a great Pro-bowl tight end, a running back that can block, rush for 100 yards and receive for anther 1000, oh and toss in a beast of a fullback who can pick up every blitz, and act as a safety valve to check down. Oh and did I mention this all has to happen from the shotgun, in an offense designed around him!

I mean come on Alex fan boys you aren't asking for much are you!

Exactly camper. I posted that yesterday. No Qb ever has the perfect setting to succeed. They just do and in turn they make everyone else better.

QB has got to make lemonade from lemons all day and twice on Sunday!

so you are saying that QB's never throw a ball that a receiver has to make a play on? Look at the Carolina vs Minn game. Moore was throwing passes that were off target all game and yet his receivers made plays on the ball.

Some people have no clue wtf they are talking about.

This!
Why has this thread become 5 pages of Alex Smith talk?

On topic again:
Yes, Crabtree fights for the ball, and sometimes loses. But the rookie is strong and wins some battles.
Gore fights for the ball most of the time, VD doesn't, but he has done a good job of getting open.
Morgan is a good WR, but he doesn't fight for the ball at all that I've noticed.
Many of you condemn Alex for indecision, but I suspect it comes more from an uncertainty about what his receivers are going to do.

Davis still runs the screwed up route. Crabtree is green as grass and messes his routes up often. When a play breaks down, Alex has no idea where these receivers will go. When they give up on the play and do nothing, Alex has to throw it out of bounds.

Compare that to the play where Alex ran toward the sidelines, hesitated, then fired to Gore who made a sideline play in the endzone. It was fantastic. Alex has the ability. But the TV camera tends to only show Alex, and not what he is seeing the receivers do or not do downfield.
  • dj43
Sounds like excuses for Smith's inability to throw accurately. Now it's our TE's and WR's who don't attack the ball. Amazing.

there isn't a single QB in the history of the game that can throw accurately 100% of the time. That is why great receivers make great plays by adjusting to the ball. Even receivers for the Saints, Patriots and Colts have to adjust to the ball. And why is that? because the ball is off target

Have you ever heard the term "throwing a wide receiver open"?

actually no I haven't because I speak english. If you are attempting to say throw to a receiver that is open then yes I have. Davis was open, the ball was where it needed to be. Davis just didn't adjust to make the catch. The elite receivers in the league have to adjust to passes all the time. If Davis wants to be an elite TE then he needs to start adjusting to the ball and actually making an effort to catch the ball.

Speaking english has nothing to do with the term. You hear many analyst and broadcasters say it all the time (i.e. Brian Billick, Jon Gruden). It means your QB throws the ball in an area where a covered receiver can break on it to free himself from coverage. Smith is not able to do that. His timing and accuracy are not up to par.

wow thanks for bringing up timing. Timing takes a lot longer than 8 games to develop between a WR and a QB. This is why Peyton Manning and his WR's work on time all year around!

In the meanwhile we will ask our TE's and WR's to attack the ball no matter where it is thrown.
Yes, receivers should make every effort possible to catch every pass they can, and if the can't catch, they are supposed to immediately turn into a defensive back to knock the ball down.

That is what they are SUPPOSED to be coached to do. Assuming Jerry Sullivan has taught that basic to all the receivers, anyone that feels the 49er receivers are on par with other receivers around the league in fighting for the ball, needs to watch more football.

I watched four TEs this past weekend that I would FAR rather have than Vernon Davis. They read the defense, they adjusted routes correctly, they utilized the umpire's position to get separation, they caught passes that were thrown low, behind them, over their head, and right at their numbers...and they blocked well.

HOT TIP: The best young TE in the game right now is Jermichael Finley at Green Bay. Tall, rangy, agile, great hands, fast, only 22 he is already a solid blocker. At his current pace he will be a Pro Bowl player for years to come.
They don't seem to fight for the ball, but at the same time it's hard to fight for the ball when its consistently thrown way too high or way too off to the side, Alex is going to get someone killed one of these games.
  • Slippy509
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by 4JusticeNow:
They don't seem to fight for the ball, but at the same time it's hard to fight for the ball when its consistently thrown way too high or way too off to the side, Alex is going to get someone killed one of these games.

Your darn right he (ALEX) will, but about the WR core. Crabtree good all others number 3 at best. I thought Jones could help but I was wrong. VD has a hard time making adjustments to the ball, but Ill trade that for his ability. Plus, he will be gone after next year anyway.
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
No..Remembers the last play vs the Seahawks when Crabtree DUCKED??
The last game when Vernon just looked at FS Mikell pick off Alex Smith..
I dont even have to give any reasoning for Morgan but he did play well vs the Eagles..
No they let it get intercepted. If they are going to get hit they duck for cover.

All the speed in the world don't mean s**t if you have no heart. Tell VD to watch some old footage of Brent Jones that dude was fearless.

Originally posted by excelsior:
Many of you condemn Alex for indecision, but I suspect it comes more from an uncertainty about what his receivers are going to do.

Davis still runs the screwed up route. Crabtree is green as grass and messes his routes up often. When a play breaks down, Alex has no idea where these receivers will go. When they give up on the play and do nothing, Alex has to throw it out of bounds.

Compare that to the play where Alex ran toward the sidelines, hesitated, then fired to Gore who made a sideline play in the endzone. It was fantastic. Alex has the ability. But the TV camera tends to only show Alex, and not what he is seeing the receivers do or not do downfield.

Excellent coments! Trust between recievers and the QB is really the missing key for the 9ers and that is what Singletary is trying to get across to Smith. Take charge and tell the recievers what to do...be more assertive. That's difficult when you have recievers who don't trust Smith and know that his carreer depends on them over the next few games. It doesn't help that VD might just kick his a** if Smith gets in his face. Morgan fought for the ball last year but doesn't have the same intensity this year. Crabtree is the real deal when it comes to owning the ball in the air and he doesn't even know the playbook yet! Hill and Jones haven't played enough for anyone to judge them.

So, the answer is no, the WRs/TEs do not all fight for the ball and Smith hasn't taken charge...chicken/egg thing.
Originally posted by Niners99:

Yeah, I remember it that brent jones was so great a football and dude was fearless. I already saw it.. he was very good.. Vd should must a fearless when he should be learning from him how fearless to play a football!
Originally posted by BuZzB28:

Yeah, I remember it that brent jones was so great a football and dude was fearless. I already saw it.. he was very good.. Vd should must a fearless when he should be learning from him how fearless to play a football!

Stole the words right out of my mouth!
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by marshniners24:
Originally posted by BuZzB28:

Stole the words right out of my mouth!

Share 49ersWebzone