Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
If he reaches 1000+ and 14 TDs, setting the NFL and franchise records.. well.. Krizay, who I'm sure already realizes by now how worth it it was to make the Vernon pick over any other player at that spot, will be able to fully accept that fact.

"It's not about the numbers"

Were you the guy in the other thread that said accuracy can't be taught?

I stand by the accuracy comment.

Your prerogative, but it is a totally ignorant position to try and defend. Too many examples of guys getting better at it for it to hold water. If there is something I am missing about your point of view, please explain.

I support krizay to an extent. It has a ceiling similar to top speed. Alex will NEVER be as accurate as Breese or Montana no different than Elway was never able to completely be accurate. A QB would need to change his throwing motion in order to get that elite level of accuracy and we all know that's the last thing you want to do at this stage.

The facts say otherwise.

What you see is players making better decisions or having a better connection with the receivers. You don't see improved accuracy per se. You see better decision making.

If you make better decisions and throw it to a more open receiver or just take the safe throw. Your inaccuracies look minor compared to trying to fit a ball in to a tightly covered Receiver while still throwing inaccurate.

If accuracy could be taught there wouldn't be so much bad QB play in the NFL.

So how do really know if 'said qb' was ever 'inaccurate' then? One could just chalk it up to bad decisions and poor connections with recievers.

Point is it's a neverending debate. Fans can never really know without knowledge of specific plays if the QB is inaccurate or the reciever f'd up his route, unless it's blatently obvious ala Brady Quinn throwing a 'go' route 10 yards out of bounds.

If a reciever made his break a half step early and the QB's release timing is perfect, the ball would end up behind the reciever and every armchair QB is saying that the QB has no accuracy. It can also work both ways. Without intimate knowledge of the QB timing and reciever breaks on any particular play one cannot objectively assess whether the ball has been thrown accurately.

Now if you're talking about broken plays, or short yardage pass plays, then that's a different story, but even still it's hard from our standpoint to judge accuracy then either. That's for a QB coach with knowledge of a playbook to judge, not fans watching on TV or in stands during games.

Originally posted by stevenking57:
"The 49ers leading receiver, tight end Vernon Davis needs three touchdowns in the final three games to have the most single-season touchdowns by a tight end in NFL history. He also needs just 11 yards to have the best single-season yardage total by a tight end in franchise history, passing the 825 yards Eric Johnson totaled in 2004."
I knew he was having a great season, but I didn't know that he could set an NFL record. I guess he's finally able to live up to his potential. It's hard to believe that one game two years ago he was held in to block all but one time and last year Martz really didn't like to use tight ends. I know that Raye has critics, BUT he knows how to use Davis and I think he's done a good job using Smith and Gore too. Given freedom from Sing, Raye may be a better O.C. than I ever thought.

And you would have thought Brent Jones might have gotten close to 1000 yards too. Good for Vernon. Hopefully he can help us win Sunday.
How did you NOT know this stuff? People only been goin on about it once he got 8 by midseason.

The yards go hand in hand with that Seam Route.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by teeohh:
I didn't know about the single season yardage, I thought Johnson had a 1000 yard season?

I thought it was just 100 catchs. Man that guy was a stud remember him breaking his color bone and got up and went to huddle up. lol

[ Edited by TheGoldDiggerrrr on Dec 18, 2009 at 23:00:20 ]
Originally posted by Kauaiguy:
"The 49ers leading receiver, tight end Vernon Davis needs three touchdowns in the final three games to have the most single-season touchdowns by a tight end in NFL history. He also needs just 11 yards to have the best single-season yardage total by a tight end in franchise history, passing the 825 yards Eric Johnson totaled in 2004."
I knew he was having a great season, but I didn't know that he could set an NFL record. I guess he's finally able to live up to his potential. It's hard to believe that one game two years ago he was held in to block all but one time and last year Martz really didn't like to use tight ends. I know that Raye has critics, BUT he knows how to use Davis and I think he's done a good job using Smith and Gore too. Given freedom from Sing, Raye may be a better O.C. than I ever thought.

Let's dump him ... He drops too many balls!

haha yeah im sure some fans said that during rice's rookie year ha...
Originally posted by JBatta49erfansince81:

And you would have thought Brent Jones might have gotten close to 1000 yards too. Good for Vernon. Hopefully he can help us win Sunday.

Brent Jones will forever be my favorite Lawn Dart. But he's an entirely different beast than Duke.

You only have to go back to what they all say about him in Philly.

"The first thing that everyone says about him is speed..."

"He's got Linebacker and Defensive Line size, combined with Cornerback speed..."(paraphrased sorry)

Jones wasn't nearly as fast and he was used differently because of it. But in the end he should be in the Hall for the body of work that he put on the field.

Duke isn't even in Jones category until he puts a few more years like this or at least just as solid. Gotta stop the drops though.

~Ceadder

[ Edited by Ceadderman on Dec 18, 2009 at 23:02:50 ]
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Ceadderman:

Brent Jones will forever be my favorite Lawn Dart. But he's an entirely different beast than Duke.

You only have to go back to what they all say about him in Philly.

"The first thing that everyone says about him is speed..."

"He's got Linebacker and Defensive Line size, combined with Cornerback speed..."(paraphrased sorry)

Jones wasn't nearly as fast and he was used differently because of it. But in the end he should be in the Hall for the body of work that he put on the field.

Duke isn't even in Jones category until he puts a few more years like this or at least just as solid. Gotta stop the drops though.

~Ceadder
Brent Jones is my favorite TE ever. Love everything about him and what he did for the Niners.

VD can be an elite player too if he can learn to catch everything that's thrown his way. Right now his completion percentage is only 61%. Dallas Clark's percentage is 77%. That's a huuge difference.
If he reaches 1000+ and 14 TDs, setting the NFL and franchise records.. well.. Krizay, who I'm sure already realizes by now how worth it it was to make the Vernon pick over any other player at that spot, will be able to fully accept that fact.

Your prerogative, but it is a totally ignorant position to try and defend. Too many examples of guys getting better at it for it to hold water. If there is something I am missing about your point of view, please explain.

I support krizay to an extent. It has a ceiling similar to top speed. Alex will NEVER be as accurate as Breese or Montana no different than Elway was never able to completely be accurate. A QB would need to change his throwing motion in order to get that elite level of accuracy and we all know that's the last thing you want to do at this stage.

FYI people, when Joecool supports you, you're in trouble.
Originally posted by 49er4life:
To think he would be long past 825 yards had he not dropped so many passes. He would even have a couple more TD's!

an unabated hater!

try being a fan that actually likes the team he/she roots for!!!!!!!
  • Twister68
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by StOnEy333:

We all remember Joecool giving a kiss of death to JTO.

well expect that to be broken after eagles we play the lambs
Yes.....it's true. You're adopted.
49ers are about to have the highest paid inside linebacker and highest paid tight end in NFL history.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:

Very true.
Aren't we moving Davis to RT?

Cheers.

[ Edited by MadDog49er on Dec 19, 2009 at 07:24:09 ]
Share 49ersWebzone