LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 314 users in the forums

WTF? Is This True?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
"The 49ers leading receiver, tight end Vernon Davis needs three touchdowns in the final three games to have the most single-season touchdowns by a tight end in NFL history. He also needs just 11 yards to have the best single-season yardage total by a tight end in franchise history, passing the 825 yards Eric Johnson totaled in 2004."
I knew he was having a great season, but I didn't know that he could set an NFL record. I guess he's finally able to live up to his potential. It's hard to believe that one game two years ago he was held in to block all but one time and last year Martz really didn't like to use tight ends. I know that Raye has critics, BUT he knows how to use Davis and I think he's done a good job using Smith and Gore too. Given freedom from Sing, Raye may be a better O.C. than I ever thought.
All true!
yes
I didn't know about the single season yardage, I thought Johnson had a 1000 yard season?
Originally posted by teeohh:
I didn't know about the single season yardage, I thought Johnson had a 1000 yard season?

No he had 800+ yrds
Originally posted by KALI-KING:
Originally posted by teeohh:

No he had 800+ yrds

yep
To think he would be long past 825 yards had he not dropped so many passes. He would even have a couple more TD's!
Originally posted by stevenking57:
"The 49ers leading receiver, tight end Vernon Davis needs three touchdowns in the final three games to have the most single-season touchdowns by a tight end in NFL history. He also needs just 11 yards to have the best single-season yardage total by a tight end in franchise history, passing the 825 yards Eric Johnson totaled in 2004."
I knew he was having a great season, but I didn't know that he could set an NFL record. I guess he's finally able to live up to his potential. It's hard to believe that one game two years ago he was held in to block all but one time and last year Martz really didn't like to use tight ends. I know that Raye has critics, BUT he knows how to use Davis and I think he's done a good job using Smith and Gore too. Given freedom from Sing, Raye may be a better O.C. than I ever thought.

Let's dump him ... He drops too many balls!
Davis is in beast mode. I know I am looking ahead, and I know this eagles game is the MOST important of the final 3, but you can't help but imagine VD going off for 100+ yards against the Lions or Rams. He will most likely hit 1000 and definitely can break the TD record Gates holds. Can you imagine that? Davis and Gore get 1000 a piece and Smith throws for 20+ TD's!?! Folks, believers in Smith or not, lovers and haters of the guy, you all need to understand this hasn't happened in a long long time.

That alone gets me excited about our 9ers.
davis is unstoppable. too fast for a LB and too big for a defensive back. not to mention he's one of the (if not the) best blocking TE in the league !

WE SHOULD HAVE DRAFTED MICHAEL HUFF!!!!

If he reaches 1000+ and 14 TDs, setting the NFL and franchise records.. well.. Krizay, who I'm sure already realizes by now how worth it it was to make the Vernon pick over any other player at that spot, will be able to fully accept that fact.

[ Edited by OnTheClock on Dec 17, 2009 at 21:31:05 ]
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
If he reaches 1000+ and 14 TDs, setting the NFL and franchise records.. well.. Krizay, who I'm sure already realizes by now how worth it it was to make the Vernon pick over any other player at that spot, will be able to fully accept that fact.

"It's not about the numbers"
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

you should create a thread awaiting his reply
And what rips me up inside is that the local media outlets aren't even mentioning this (specially to fans for pro-bowl consideration). -And believe it or not, the same thing is happening to Dallas Clark on the Colts right now, and his team might have a perfect season!

[ Edited by SnakePlissken on Dec 17, 2009 at 21:41:09 ]
Share 49ersWebzone