There are 202 users in the forums

Walt Harris or Dre Bly for 2010

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Walt Harris or Dre Bly for 2010

Neither please. Both are too old, one's going to be 36 coming off of a torn acl and the other is going to be a 33 year old 5'9'' corner who is getting slower. Give me Brian Jackson from Oklahoma or Javier Arenas from Alabama(can return kicks/punts), or Haden or Patrick Robinson in the first round.
I say both. The depth would be amazing, but I'm not sure if either is going to want to play that far out of the starting lineup. Walt might not have the chance anywhere else, but Bly could be somebody's nickel back. He might want to explore other options. For all the BS that comes with him, he's a helluva baller. Even at this stage of his career.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Sign them both . . . given their age it's possible that one of the two wouldn't survive camp.

This.
Starter or not, money talks and well you know what BS does. Dre Bly of course. Sometimes you need a little more risk for a little more reward, just wait until he fully understands the system. This defense is youg and waiting to wreak havoc all over the league. All we are missing is a playmaker on defense, we'll see what goldson does the rest of the season.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
I think Bly could be the next Walt, a guy thought to be over the hill who contributes far over expectations for 2-3 years. It's very similar. I think we have enough depth to let Walt go at this stage.
Originally posted by cools:
Bly will get a juicy offer from some team that needs a starter, I'd like to keep him but
I doubt Niners pay him starter $

Harris will be cheap, and easy to sign, and good to have around as a #4 or 5 CB,
and also being able to play S if needed

Hudson and K.Smith gone

Brown is going to be good, I think he takes that #3 spot (unless we draft Haden)

LCB Nate
RCB Spence
NB Brown
Depth Harris and Rookie (C.Butler, Clemson)

Nobody is paying Bly starting CB money come on homie
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by cools:
Bly will get a juicy offer from some team that needs a starter, I'd like to keep him but
I doubt Niners pay him starter $

Harris will be cheap, and easy to sign, and good to have around as a #4 or 5 CB,
and also being able to play S if needed

Hudson and K.Smith gone

Brown is going to be good, I think he takes that #3 spot (unless we draft Haden)

LCB Nate
RCB Spence
NB Brown
Depth Harris and Rookie (C.Butler, Clemson)

Nobody is paying Bly starting CB money come on homie

You beat me to this post. Bly was unsigned prior to us picking him up due to Walt. Not sure how all of a sudden someone is going to pay him starting CB money.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
I say both. The depth would be amazing, but I'm not sure if either is going to want to play that far out of the starting lineup. Walt might not have the chance anywhere else, but Bly could be somebody's nickel back. He might want to explore other options. For all the BS that comes with him, he's a helluva baller. Even at this stage of his career.

What BS?? I haven't heard a thing about him while on our team?
Originally posted by King49er:
Originally posted by goldthumb68:
Walt Harris and Dre Bly are free agents at the end of the year but who would you rather have on the team next year if the niners choose to resign one? or niether? or both? I say we should go after Bly but i know he wants to be a starter and might sign somewhere else. I think Dre has played very solid this year and Walt got burned a little too much last year and more than likely wont be fully recovered from his injury but would make a good back up.What do you guys think?

neither

Looks like McCloughan will have to look at the draft for depth.
I think we need to keep one of these! Pref Dre Bly, cause walt wont be 100% for another year!! I think Dre is a solid vet who brings a lot of emotion to the table!

keep them both!

they still got years left on them, nate is coming back. brown is starting to look good.

we're looking good at CB. a lot of the top teams in the NFC are deep at WR, so we need to be deep at CB.
Share 49ersWebzone