LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 254 users in the forums

This years draft picks aren't doing much...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Bear Pascoe is currently on the New York Giants roster - not the practice squad - on the active roster.
1) Why do you expect rookies to contribute right away?

2) We traded 09 picks to have an extra 1st rounder in 2010. 2010 draft > 2009 draft. That was always the plan.

Shouldn't we be more concerned with last year's picks lack of production?
Originally posted by AKfanster:

True that.
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
Originally posted by AKfanster:

True that.

Balmer, Rachal, R. Smith, Morgan............ can't think of the others off the top of my head. Although, just having Morgan as a stater isn't bad considering he was a 6th round pick..............I think?
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Originally posted by jesserdumas2:
Coffee and McKillop have both played significant time due to injuries. Most teams don't want 2nd rounders or lower starting games unless they have to. Lets not write off the class yet.

Coffee has stunk up the joint and McKillop has not played at LBer. Didn't we go and get another LBer when Spikes was injured?

this OL sucks! so bad that Gore has had some tough games this year. give Coffee a chance he looked awesome in PS and had us all believing a rookie is going to have some tough games. The others are developing give them time.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Crabtree signed 5 weeks in and he is still the only draft pick contributing. Now I know he was a first round pick but you can't keep missing in rounds 3-7 and hope to compete.

Rd 1, Pick 10 (10) Crabtree, Michael WR
Rd 3, Pick 10 (74) Coffee, Glen RB
Rd 5, Pick 10 (146) McKillop, Scott ILB
Rd 5, Pick 35 (171) Davis, Nate QB
Rd 6, Pick 11 (184) Pascoe, Bear TE
Rd 7, Pick 10 (219) Taylor, Curtis FS
Rd 7, Pick 35 (244) Jean-Francois, Ricky DT

Really? We're concerned about lack of contribution from this years day two picks?

Good god . . . . . . just how many starters should be mined from the later rounds?

2008 6th Round: Josh Morgan (Starter)
2007 4th Round: Dashon Goldson (Starter - career game last night)
2007 5th Round: Tarell Brown (Nickel DB - Pick last night)
2006 5th Round: Parys Haralson (Starter-contributor)
2006 5th Round: Delanie Walker (Starter-contributor)

Amen, sometimes I wonder if some of these guys really understand football and how it works.

Agree, let's give these guys some time here.
Originally posted by excelsior:
Bear Pascoe is currently on the New York Giants roster - not the practice squad - on the active roster.

I thought the Giants were crazy for letting Shockey go but I also thought he was washed up too. Boss helped them to a SB.

Bear could still develop for another team ala Joselio Hanson
Originally posted by Gelder:

Jason Hill contributed more towards the end of his third year if im not mistaken.

This is Jason Hill's third year...

but you are correct, whenever the guy gets a few balls thrown his way, he often makes the most of it..
That's actually a good sign...it means the guys ahead of them are doing enough to keep them off the field. Few rookies really make an impact in their first year, Crabtree being an exception. I thought Coffee looked pretty good on Monday night...he's coming along. McKillop's a good ST guy and will be worked into the ILB rotation when Spikes is closer to being done. We all knew Nate Davis wasn't going to get snaps unless both Hill and Alex got hurt. Curtis Taylor's on IR...he's shown signs he'll be a player. RJF has had little opportunity to do anything on the field. So, it's premature to say they haven't done much...most haven't had the chance to yet.

they all made the team except pascoe..the only one i expect anything from this year was crabtree since all of america had crabs nutsack
Crabtree signed 5 weeks in and he is still the only draft pick contributing. Now I know he was a first round pick but you can't keep missing in rounds 3-7 and hope to compete.

Crabtree has been the best rookie WR this year

Glen Coffee hasnt had too much work, but hes looked ok for a rookie

McKillop has been good on ST, and looks like one of those fill in playmakers

Davis is a promising future QB possibility

Pascoe sucked, got cut

Taylor is too far back on the depth chart to see much time, and is now on IR

Ricky Jean-Francois, like Taylor, hasnt seen many snaps due to depth

i think our draft class was pretty good so far.
  • brandonjg
  • Info N/A

I think it's pretty far fetched to expect draft picks round 3 and up are ready to do much in the first couple of years. If they were, they would be 1st and 2nd round picks.. there are exceptions of course.

But look @ the players we have now, they are starting to play well even though we drafted them a few years ago.

Dashon Goldson
Tarrell Brown
Ray MacDonald
Parys Haralson

just to name a few. All turning into quality players. We still have a lot of players yet to develop.

curtis taylor
reggie smith (FS or SS anyone?)
RJF
Scott McKillop (will be a starter for a long time after spikes)
Cody Wallace (hopefully can step up @ RG next year)

I think thats pretty damn good percentage of players after rounds 1 and 2 to have being quality players on your team. Considering how many busts there are. GOOD JOB MCCLOUGHAN
THE CLOWN HAS NO PENIS
Originally posted by RonMexico:
THE CLOWN HAS NO PENIS

lol
Share 49ersWebzone