LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 468 users in the forums

Niners still uncertain about Smith

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by cyber9er:
Put up or shut up. If Alex Smith wants to be the quarterback of this team next year, he needs to win this game. Now before I get yelled at let me explain. Football is indeed the ultimate team sport, but in big games (such as this Sunday), really good or great quarterbacks shine. I don't care who is on the oppossing d and what they do, Alex has to find a way to complete his passes and make plays when a good qb should make them. This game will tell us if he is our guy or not.

So ur suggesting if we lose then he should not be our qb I would argue but it seems pointless all I can say I am so happy u r not our coach or gm hopefully the cards r intrested in u tho

[ Edited by 49ersalldaway126 on Dec 17, 2009 at 06:47:56 ]
  • cyber9er
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Put up or shut up. If Alex Smith wants to be the quarterback of this team next year, he needs to win this game. Now before I get yelled at let me explain. Football is indeed the ultimate team sport, but in big games (such as this Sunday), really good or great quarterbacks shine. I don't care who is on the oppossing d and what they do, Alex has to find a way to complete his passes and make plays when a good qb should make them. This game will tell us if he is our guy or not.

So ur suggesting if hw losses hebahould not be our qb I would argue but it seems pointless all I can say I am so happy u r not our coach or gm hopefully the cards r intrested in u tho

Wow. I just got dumber reading this post...
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Alex will be judged on these last 3 games not just the Philly game.
  • cyber9er
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by mayo63:

I'm sorry. St. Louis and detroit don't count. They have 3 wins combined! Philidephia has 3 times that win total and a real playoff-caliber defense.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

I'm sorry. St. Louis and detroit don't count. They have 3 wins combined! Philidephia has 3 times that win total and a real playoff-caliber defense.

He can't have a good game against the Eagles then throw 12 picks against the Lions and Rams. He has to show consistancy in all 3 games. The Philly game being the most challenging.
  • cyber9er
  • Info N/A

He can't have a good game against the Eagles then throw 12 picks against the Lions and Rams. He has to show consistancy in all 3 games. The Philly game being the most challenging.

I hear ya Mayo. I just think philly is going to tell us the most we need to know. I don't see alex playing bad against detroit and st louis after he threw for 300 against seattle.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

I hear ya Mayo. I just think philly is going to tell us the most we need to know. I don't see alex playing bad against detroit and st louis after he threw for 300 against seattle.

Gotcha.

[ Edited by mayo63 on Dec 17, 2009 at 05:44:03 ]

Gotcha.
  • RomeoJunior
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Give Alex an entire off-season to work w/Crabtree, Vernon, Morgan, et al and we'll see a lot of the incompletes this year be completions next season. Pretty clear his timing/chemistry isn't quite there yet w/Crabtree, but when they get it together, watch out.

Give him an entire offseason? Sure.

He can have the offseason and be the #1 guy, but we're drafting a 1st rd. QB either way unless he proves he can consistently be accurate with his intermediate throws.

Wow.

Even if we do draft a QB, in the 1st round or thereafter, Smith is still going to be our starting QB next year.

Shaun Hill has no trade value, and hopefully will not be retained by the 49ers. Jeff Garcia is a similar, and better Quarterback, who is still waiting for a phone call.

Ideally, Nate Davis is our 2nd string QB next year, with a rookie to groom. That rookie doesn't have to be a 1st round pick. Colt McCoy could still be sitting there in the 2nd or 3rd round. There are no stud QB's in this draft, so i'm all for filling other needs (OT, CB, S, G).
  • dmax
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Super5:
Originally posted by Antix:
I agree with Scot. If there's a QB they want they gotta take him. I like Smith and think he can start for us next year, but he's not good enough for me to say "nah, QB is set". He would have to throw 12 tds and 3 picks the rest of the season for me to believe that (won't happen).

We got Davis as a development and Smith looks like he can lead us as long as he can continue to get better. He's got three games left and he's auditioning just like Singletary last year. We'll see

Draft another QB???Are you serious???
If Scott DOES NOT upgrade the OL then he should be fired.Draft all the QB's you want and it won't mean shyt unless the OL is fixed.

And who says Alex has 3 games left and is auditioning???
Are some of you guys watching 49ers football at all?
Alex has already showed he could be the QB and will be THE STARTER IN 2010,PERIOD

On offense: keep Raye,fix OL,Alex,Gore,Crabtree,Davis,etc working together from day 1 in tc next year and they will no doubt be good and only get better.

100% truth in this post
  • dmax
  • Veteran

omg are you serious...I mean really?
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by taney71:
Originally posted by DertyDonahue:
Originally posted by miked1978:
I support Smith 100% but I'm not sold on him as a franchise QB. I honestly think he's an average QB at best.

I'd dispute that. At best, I would say that he will be an elite QB. At worst, a lousy QB (which he is not - great? no, lousy? no). If he does not continue developing, he will remain average (IMO where he is at this point in his career).

If you average out his numbers for an entire season Smith is right now a top tier QB.

you can't really say that. If you can then I can say if you average out the wins with smith at qb for an entire season...

You could, but it wouldn't make any sense... (As has already been explained to you by numerous people many times)

Which makes my point about trying to expand his stats to games that have not been played. It doesn't make any sense as the Cardinals game and TEN game have proven.
I think the fans of most other teams would be willing (or close) to accept Alex as a legitimate starter. I think our great history of QB play is what makes it hard to accept Alex. I believe that most QBs are not great enough to be good alone, but many can be great with a good supporting cast. Once the offense is established is when the grading should begin. That begins with the offensive line and continuity of an offensive system imo.

[ Edited by SFBlue on Dec 17, 2009 at 10:06:57 ]
Share 49ersWebzone