LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 252 users in the forums

Where's the running game?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Converting downs in the fourth quarter this week with a lead. Praise the lord.
  • WestCoastNut
  • Info N/A
I don't think tle spread takes away forom the run at alll. In fact, Urban Meyer's Florida team is a dominant run team.

The offensive line just isn't there yet.

Also, I don't think our run game is designed with the spread in mind. During the off season, Jimmy Raye needs to visit Urban Meyer and photocopy his play book.

Originally posted by qnnhan7:
A whopping 52 yards all game. This has been worrisome. It had slowly disappeared the last few games. I understand they are going spread more and the shotgun is not Gore's forte, but they need to get that going especially when teams start gaming for our emerging passing game.

Maybe it's unstoppable

Our Guards are playing really bad this year. We need better play form our Guards.
our run game will be stronger this weekend, because now they have to respect our passing game and keep the 8th man out of the box and help with pass coverage, I'm sure we will run the rock a lot more, were gonna need it
Bad line yes, but yesterday they played really well.... i just think Gore is a basic running back when coming out of the I. I think he excels when catching passes out of the back field and is a good blocker. He is just not the type of back that can make the first wave miss... once he gets past the first line of defense he is outstanding......
Gore will break one here and there to put him over 100 yards rushing if we keep running the same offense. He was one broken tackle away from breaking a long one yesterday. It'll happen.
Originally posted by Yetiman:
This offense is the definition of a work in progress. I think that once the passing game is sorted out, the running game will start to work.

I'd like to see a backfield with both Gore and Coffee in it rather than Gore and Norris, too. That would present some challenges to an opposing DC.

Very true. The oline did well with pass protection but barely. There were times when Smith would throw and get hit. The shotgun bailed the oline out cause it takes the defense a bit longer to get to Smith. I really hope Smith doesn't go down cause Hill and a rookie QB aren't a winning formula.
  • Twister68
  • Info N/A
It must be somehow Alex Smith's fault. Maybe he hands the ball off awkwardly?
news flash guys, we're NOT a running team.
Originally posted by excelsior:
It would be nice if someone like Ceaderman could break down each run play, and evaluate each lineman's performance. In other words, what is causing virtually all of our runs to go no more than a yard or two?

The biggest thing I am seeing is the inability from our OT's and OG's to block down on their man when they attack the middle of the line. These DE's and DT's are hitting the holes hard and the guys are struggling to engage and keep them from penetrating into the backfield.

I'm not sure if it is a lack of athleticism, or bad technique, or a combination of both. Simply too much penetration at the LOS. I saw numerous times yesterday where Baas was angry with himself, after being beat on a run play.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Nov 30, 2009 at 12:06 PM ]

Coffee????
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by excelsior:
It would be nice if someone like Ceaderman could break down each run play, and evaluate each lineman's performance. In other words, what is causing virtually all of our runs to go no more than a yard or two?

The biggest thing I am seeing is the inability from our OT's and OG's to block down on their man when they attack the middle of the line. These DE's and DT's are hitting the holes hard and the guys are struggling to engage and keep them from penetrating into the backfield.

I'm not sure if it is a lack of athleticism, or bad technique, or a combination of both. Simply too much penetration at the LOS. I saw numerous times yesterday where Baas was angry with himself, after being beat on a run play.

You also can't dicredit JAC stout line. When we HAVE played teams with an average to below average line, Gore has had a strong average per carry or he has broken big runs. Against TEN, Gore averaged more than Chris Johnson did.

It's no different than when a good back plays our DL. Most of the time, we keep their OL with little or no push.
Originally posted by smileyman:
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Gore's not the best RB from the spread formation...but, it's relatively new to him. He'll adjust. But it does call into play the need for a shifty RB and also a power RB. We've lacked that big back for a long time and this off-season's a great time to fix it. Unga, Clay, Gerhart and Dixon are all excellent big RB candidates. We may've let the shift RB go in Sheets, but there are always guys available like that every off-season.

Gore's the very definition of a power back.

There's a kid named Noel Devine who would be available in round 4 or 5. Runs a 4.31 and reminds me of Sproles. He'd be a great addition to the team and would be a nice change of pace back.

Coffee's not that guy--he has the same style as Gore. Not sure if M-Rob is that guy either.

MRob needs... no HAS to be converted to a FB. That guy is ALWAYS lookin to hit somebody. The very definition of a FB.

Is that so hard to understand? I been sayin that since his 2nd season when Norris was let go.

If he's not made a FB then Scott ain't doin his yob. Cause I believe that the man could be a stalwart in that position for years to come.

~Ceadder
It'll come....bc our passing game is only going to get better and now teams are now going to have to respect it.
we don't have one. That is pretty simple to see! I was glad to see that they didn't try to keep up with the crappy run game even though it wasn't working, as they had done in previous games.
Share 49ersWebzone