LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 236 users in the forums

If we beat The Bucs on 1/12/03, is it a 49er Raider Superbowl?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

If we beat The Bucs on 1/12/03, is it a 49er Raider Superbowl?

Just saw a thread about the last time we played on a Thursday night... and it got me thinking about history. Then I remembered the only playoff game I ever been to, which was the 2002 NFC Wildcard comeback game against the New York Football Giants. Hell of a game to be at. The stick was dead for 2 and 1/2 quarters. Anyways i started thinking about that season, and how good we really were. If we don't get our asses handed to us by the Bucs... what would have happened that season?

The Bucs obviously were far superior that year, and if we were going to get knocked out of the playoffs, who better than the team that went all the way...

Found this write up... man I was so pissed that day...

"Tampa Bay 31, San Francisco 6

Sunday, Jan. 12, 1:00 PM ET
At: Raymond James Stadium

Sunday, the San Francisco 49ers found out why the Tampa Bay Buccaneers have the top-ranked defense in the NFL. Amidst heavy pressure, the 49ers fumbled and stumbled their way to four turnovers and picked up just 227 total net yards on offense, including a mere 62 yards on the ground. Jeff Garcia was harassed all afternoon by the Bucs pass rush, and was sacked four times.

Despite a promising start, fueled by a Rashad Holman interception of quarterback Brad Johnson on the sixth play of the game, the 49ers failed to get the ball into the endzone and were completely shut down on the ground.

Johnson responded to his early mistake by throwing two touchdown passes and leading the Buccaneers on three long scoring drives in the first half before NFL Defensive Player of the Year Derrick Brooks intercepted a Jeff Garcia pass, setting up the second of Mike Alstott's two touchdowns, which opened up a 28-6 halftime lead. Brooks also recovered a Garcia fumble caused by Simeon Rice late in the third quarter.

Tampa Bay tacked on a 19-yard Martin Gramatica field goal early in the second half to close out the scoring as their defense shut out the 49ers in the final two quarters.

San Francisco staged the second-largest comeback in NFL playoff history when they rallied from a 24-point deficit to beat the New York Giants in their wild-card contest. But even their no-huddle offense, which was very instrumental in their first-round win, didn't slow down the Bucs defense.

Wide receiver Terrell Owens was held to just four catches for 35 yards.

The Buccaneers will travel to Philadelphia to face the Eagles for the NFC Championship at Veterans Stadium on Sunday."
Are you in a time machine?
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
Are you in a time machine?

Things have gotten so bad, people are starting to completely forget the past 6 years of the franchise.
U must be bored to bring this up

• boast
  • Hella Fame
all i remember is Mooch quit on that game with about two minutes left in the 1st half.
lol my bad... is it kickoff yet?
Originally posted by boast:
all i remember is Mooch quit on that game with about two minutes left in the 1st half.

he sure did
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Man why you bring that up? that was the worst. I was in South Texas meeting my girlfriend at the time's parents. We were really serious and the weekend had gone OK up to that point. Now she was Mexican and we were at her grnadmothers house on a traditional sunday family gathering, cousins, aunts, the whole nine. People liked me, then that game happened. I got so pissed and visibly angry all of the sudden I didn't seem like such a nice little white boy anymore. After we got back, a few weeks of her whol;e family in her ear about what a dick I was and we broke it off. I really liked her. God damn bucs. Who knew that would be the end of the line for the team, not to mention my relationship.
Originally posted by TX9R:
Man why you bring that up? that was the worst. I was in South Texas meeting my girlfriend at the time's parents. We were really serious and the weekend had gone OK up to that point. Now she was Mexican and we were at her grnadmothers house on a traditional sunday family gathering, cousins, aunts, the whole nine. People liked me, then that game happened. I got so pissed and visibly angry all of the sudden I didn't seem like such a nice little white boy anymore. After we got back, a few weeks of her whol;e family in her ear about what a dick I was and we broke it off. I really liked her. God damn bucs. Who knew that would be the end of the line for the team, not to mention my relationship.

lmao the Bucs ruined your life. She coulda been wifey... hilarious story but in your position I would have been equally as visibly angry as you, if not more...
  • ZRF80
Just goes to show how good we had it with Mooch. The guy revived a team that lost the likes of Steve Young and Jerry Rice; he made us competitive in year 3 after the dynasty had fallen, yet front management tossed him out.

Its a shame. This team had it so good once upon a time. We took everything for granted, and now look at us........we're satisfied with being able to "keep up" with teams like the Colts before they beat us....

• flow
  • Veteran

Sorry, man. The next time we face those b**tards, I'll be rooting extra hard for a blowout win.
Hmm, I dont know if we would have beat up with the Raiders to be honest. I dont think our defense was as good as the Bucs (obviously). Would have been a shoot out for sure.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Crazy4Niners:

Sorry, man. The next time we face those b**tards, I'll be rooting extra hard for a blowout win.

Even worse, I got a job at a bar not long after since my DJ gigs pretty much dried up, developed a pretty good coke problem and drank like a fish. It took a few years and a move to the desert before I got back on track. That game f**ked my life. I lost a good 5 years.
  • flow
  • Veteran

Even worse, I got a job at a bar not long after since my DJ gigs pretty much dried up, developed a pretty good coke problem and drank like a fish. It took a few years and a move to the desert before I got back on track. That game f**ked my life. I lost a good 5 years.

TAAAAMMPPPPAAAAA!!!

[ Edited by Crazy4Niners on Nov 12, 2009 at 14:28:34 ]

TAAAAMMPPPPAAAAA!!!

lol
Share 49ersWebzone