LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 218 users in the forums

So this is what $5.4 million in garaunteed money looks like...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
"The 49ers will stick with Brandon Jones as the team’s primary punt returner. Jones has returned five punts, with no fair catches, for a grand total of 3 yards in returns...."
He never was good. I'm not sure why we signed him. I'm especially not sure why we gave him so much.
  • B650
  • Veteran
Yeah, you're right. Let's just cut him. He's had like 5 punt returns and hasn't broken one for a TD yet.

Sorry for the sarcasm, but come on. He hasn't even had a chance to return any punts for decent yardage yet. Some of you people are ridiculously impatient.
Originally posted by B650:
Yeah, you're right. Let's just cut him. He's had like 5 punt returns and hasn't broken one for a TD yet.

Sorry for the sarcasm, but come on. He hasn't even had a chance to return any punts for decent yardage yet. Some of you people are ridiculously impatient.

lol, i just finished a post on this in the pump fake thread.
no buddy... my point is that he is even our return man... that is starting WR money...
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
He never was good. I'm not sure why we signed him. I'm especially not sure why we gave him so much.

Potential. He most likely would have started if we didn't get Crabtree and he didn't get injured in training camp.
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by zozell:
no buddy... my point is that he is even our return man... that is starting WR money...

If that's the point, then I agree with you. Cutting Rossum and Spurlock were both dumb ideas which probably cost us the Texans game and definitely cost us our best CB. Sometimes one bad move is all it takes. The difference between 3-5 and 4-4 in this league is a dropped punt by Arnaz Battle.
Originally posted by GEEK:

Potential. He most likely would have started if we didn't get Crabtree and he didn't get injured in training camp.

I don't like signing FA's with "potential" and not production to that much money.

I don't like signing FA's with "potential" and not production to that much money.

agree
Originally posted by King49er:

agree

It's one thing if you do it in the draft. You are just forced to do it in the draft. You don't know what any of those guys are like. But look at the production and this kid didn't have much before he became a 49er.

99 out of 100....

Low production = low production.

Low production does not equal instant super star with new team because he has potential.

• GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by King49er:

agree

I agree as well. McCloughan has done this before. Parys Haralson, Michael Robinson, and now Tarrell Brown.

He's hoping these guys can blossom with modest contracts in order for the 49ers to be good salary cap standing.
What REALLY doesn't make sense is not giving this guy a chance as a receiver! He was tearing it up in camp and preseason and was the most impressive of our receivers until he got hurt. He's big, fast and apaprently runs good routes and caught virtually evrything thrown his way. He's been healthy for weeks now and what's more is, Morgan has been doing his best Taylor Jacobs impression and has gone from camp stud to the invisible man, at least until he drops or tips a ball, yet Jones languished in street clothes until recently.
Well, Bruce is now benched and it's time to do the same with Morgan and see what Jones brings to the table, not as a punt returner, but as a wideout.
Crabtree, Jones and Hill, and more 2 TE sets with Davis and Walker.
Originally posted by B650:
Originally posted by zozell:

If that's the point, then I agree with you. Cutting Rossum and Spurlock were both dumb ideas which probably cost us the Texans game and definitely cost us our best CB. Sometimes one bad move is all it takes. The difference between 3-5 and 4-4 in this league is a dropped punt by Arnaz Battle.

And one halfback pass from Indy and one Perfect pass from Favre from 5-3. Every win is so hard to get in this league for sure.

Back on topic, it is hard to see him returning punts but that isn't exactly why he was signed in the first place. Dropping Rossum however was a bonehead move since our special teams return dept. is weakm sauce.

Go Niners!!
  • Pogity
  • Info N/A
I don't care how much money he makes. We have cap space so it's not like his salary is preventing us from getting someone else better.

The York's should care - since they write the paychecks and he is pretty much a wasted investment. I'm sure they discuss things like this with McCloughan on a regular basis.
  • Dino
  • Veteran
Share 49ersWebzone