LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 271 users in the forums

Could someone explain this Singletary quote to me?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
The question referred to our standings in the division, but the reality is we're just trying to win a game right now. And the inference is we may be losing it. Not like he's going to say 'yeah, we sucked right now and it doesn't look good for us to win the division' cause he's trying to keep his 53 guys positive and not give up on the season like some on the Zone right.
its just about the standings. Actually there is no reason for any professional player or coach to care about the standings. True pro's have blinders on when it comes to that kind of stuff
Originally posted by danimal:
its just about the standings. Actually there is no reason for any professional player or coach to care about the standings. True pro's have blinders on when it comes to that kind of stuff

"There is no reason for any professional player or coach to care about the standings?"

Wow, I thought Singletary's quote showed ignorance, this takes the cake.
I understand what Sing is saying. If we can't win a damn game, it doesn't matter what AZ does. We just have to worry about winning games. Nothing else.
Originally posted by 9erred:

"There is no reason for any professional player or coach to care about the standings?"

explain why? BTW, you are talking to a guy whose every single prediction about the season is coming true.

Again, being called ignorant on this board is the biggest compliment one can receive.

The concept is, lets see if you can grasp it; Your goal is to win every football game you play. Whatever methods you employ to achieve that goal should not be swayed to your opponents record; nor your own. Since all you can control is your preparation, effort and ultimate execution, the standings have no affect at all.

Can't wait to hear how the knowledge of standings helps win football games

explain why? BTW, you are talking to a guy whose every single prediction about the season is coming true.

Again, being called ignorant on this board is the biggest compliment one can receive.

The concept is, lets see if you can grasp it; Your goal is to win every football game you play. Whatever methods you employ to achieve that goal should not be swayed to your opponents record; nor your own. Since all you can control is your preparation, effort and ultimate execution, the standings have no affect at all.

Example 1:

Tampa Bay knows they are mathematically eliminated from the play offs, by know the standings, they choose to build for the future and start the rookie quarterback last week. This in theory will not make them win more football games in the immediate future, but it might help them win more games in the future.

Example 2:

New Orleans and Baltimore clinch their respective divisions and win home field. They have two games left in the season. If Reggie Wayne, Jeff Saturday, Reggie Bush, Colston are nursing minor injuries the team might choose to rest them, as their health for the play offs is more important than having them play to win two more games that have no impact on play off rankings.

Example 3

The Cardinals win last SAtuday, they are now 2 games up on the niners if the niners lose, 1 game up if the niners beat the Titans. The niners are down by two scores with just under 3 minutes left. As the HC and OC are you going to go for a long dink and dunk drive, or are you going to drive down the field quickly having the players go out of bounds, preserviing time and time outs, in case you get the onside kick? Knowing that you have to win, I would have hoped for a bigger sense of urgency from the coaching staff, and the qb.
The niners play in the NFC West, they need to win the division to make it to the play offs or hope for a wild card spot. The niners should be aware of every team in their division. Not being aware is ignorance. Rex Ryan for the Jets openly admitted that they have dug themselves in a hole. What is so wrong with being honest, the Niners controlled the NFC West, and now they don't. Well who controls it noww Coach Singletary, "I don't know I don't care about who is in first place in the NFC west or the whole NFL. Wow, I thought HC's should think Macro.
I thought we were concerned about winning the NFC west? Well take a look and see who we're behind....

Example 1:

Tampa Bay knows they are mathematically eliminated from the play offs, by know the standings, they choose to build for the future and start the rookie quarterback last week. This in theory will not make them win more football games in the immediate future, but it might help them win more games in the future.

Example 2:

New Orleans and Baltimore clinch their respective divisions and win home field. They have two games left in the season. If Reggie Wayne, Jeff Saturday, Reggie Bush, Colston are nursing minor injuries the team might choose to rest them, as their health for the play offs is more important than having them play to win two more games that have no impact on play off rankings.

Example 3

The Cardinals win last SAtuday, they are now 2 games up on the niners if the niners lose, 1 game up if the niners beat the Titans. The niners are down by two scores with just under 3 minutes left. As the HC and OC are you going to go for a long dink and dunk drive, or are you going to drive down the field quickly having the players go out of bounds, preserviing time and time outs, in case you get the onside kick? Knowing that you have to win, I would have hoped for a bigger sense of urgency from the coaching staff, and the qb.
The niners play in the NFC West, they need to win the division to make it to the play offs or hope for a wild card spot. The niners should be aware of every team in their division. Not being aware is ignorance. Rex Ryan for the Jets openly admitted that they have dug themselves in a hole. What is so wrong with being honest, the Niners controlled the NFC West, and now they don't. Well who controls it noww Coach Singletary, "I don't know I don't care about who is in first place in the NFC west or the whole NFL. Wow, I thought HC's should think Macro.

Great Examples. I see your point and do agree. But now I think you were being purposefully dense about Sing's remarks. I am sure you understood the spirit of his statement.

I interpret the message as Sing is neither currently writing off the division; so he is not going to entertain roster changes for 2010, nor are we in a position to rest anyone because obviously we have not clinched anything.

I think Sing meant at this point in time only the Niners and Bears exist for him.

Example 1:

Example 2:

Example 3

Great Examples. I see your point and do agree. But now I think you were being purposefully dense about Sing's remarks. I am sure you understood the spirit of his statement.

I interpret the message as Sing is neither currently writing off the division; so he is not going to entertain roster changes for 2010, nor are we in a position to rest anyone because obviously we have not clinched anything.

I think Sing meant at this point in time only the Niners and Bears exist for him.

I think I am just frustrated with the team, and I apologize for the direct quote remark.
You are reading way too much into it if you don't think he cares about who is leading the division.

But right now, he certainly does not want to talk about the Cardinals. I think his statement put an end to that line of questioning real quick.

Explanation: He doesn't care about the Cardinals right now and he also doesn't care about anything else in the NFL right now.

Example 1:

Example 2:

Example 3

I think I am just frustrated with the team, and I apologize for the direct quote remark.

I am sorry too, lets hug it out b
You only worry about the things you can control and not about the things you can't. How's that
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
Originally posted by ninerfan818:
He is only focused on the 49ers and their job at hand. He can't worry about the Cardinals. He has enough problems worrying about his own 52 players.

he NEEDS to be aware of what the teams in our division are doing espically the Cards. I bet Billichek or how ever you spell his name and Tomlin pay attention.

Why? I mean other then knowing their preferences and game planning them, why care about their record?

[ Edited by WINiner on Nov 9, 2009 at 14:11:57 ]
Originally posted by WINiner:
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
Originally posted by ninerfan818:
He is only focused on the 49ers and their job at hand. He can't worry about the Cardinals. He has enough problems worrying about his own 52 players.

he NEEDS to be aware of what the teams in our division are doing espically the Cards. I bet Billichek or how ever you spell his name and Tomlin pay attention.

Why? I mean other then knowing their preferences and game planning them, why care about their record?

We control our own fate, too a point. Why should Coach Sing be concerned about the Cardinals. He needs to be focused on our team and the team we are facing this week. It doesn't matter what the Cardinals are doing. We have no control over that except for when we play them.

Is the Original Poster suggesting that Singletary be so concerned about the cards that he loses focus on the struggle at had? Or does the O P think that Sing should scout the Cards and then let the other teams in on that scouting report because the scouts the other teams are insufficient to the task?
Share 49ersWebzone