LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 244 users in the forums

If Alex does well the rest of the season do we extend him?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Even though he has improved, I'd wait till next year to lock him up, players always play better in their contract years. See Abrayo Franklin.
He still has two years remaining on his deal (restructured as well, if I'm not mistaken)
It's a wait and see for me. This season alone is not enough for me. I remember lots of people were riding Derek Anderson's nuts after one great season with the Browns. Look at him now. I want to see how Alex performs once teams have figure him out....will he continue to play good or fall apart. Too early to tell.
Originally posted by mayo63:
Quote:
3. show better ability to improvise - i'm not convinced of him getting rid of his habit to simply go towards the sideline and throwing away the ball. I want to see him atleast attempt to make something out of the play.

Yeah, that is one of my pet peeves also. He almost always just runs out of bounds or throws the ball away.

But let me ask you this, at what cost. A sack, and interception. I mean as soon as he starts throwing those, the same people may be saying, why is he forcing something out of nothing. I think his decision making is fine. The smart thing is to throw the ball away if nothings there, not force a pass, and get it intercepted. Dont forget Hill had quite a few sacks because he didnt get rid of the ball, and no one said anything, but that the pocket collapsed. I mean he's only played in 1.5 games, and i love the fact that he is decisive, and he does make plays with his feet, so i say 9 times out of 10, he makes something out of nothing when he can, and takes a sack, and throws out of bounds when nothings there.
I think he needs more than a solid half season before he gets more $$$ from us.....
Or do we let him play out the last year of his contract? Problem with the second scenerio is that he may feel like we're dicking him around and decide to sign with another team. Discuss.

I say let him finish out this year and monitor his progress next year. With a better offensive line his play SHOULD be even better. I see no rush to sign him until there is no doubt of what he can do. Alex has proven his loyalty to the Niners, and therefore the Niners should offer him a fair deal when the time comes........
Originally posted by RDB4216:
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
Quote:
3. show better ability to improvise - i'm not convinced of him getting rid of his habit to simply go towards the sideline and throwing away the ball. I want to see him atleast attempt to make something out of the play.

Yeah, that is one of my pet peeves also. He almost always just runs out of bounds or throws the ball away.

Id rather have that, than shaun duck hill, waiting too long.. then trying to scramble, only to run directly into a defender and get sacked.

Yeah, but Alex can make something out of the play than just running out of bounds without picking up yardage or just throwing the ball away. There's got to be a reciever down field he can hit when he's scrambling like that.

It's what he's supposed to do. We are (in theory) running a ball control offense. The way that "should" work is marching down the field methodically, eating up clock, and not giving your opponent much time to score. You are not going to score a lot of points that way, so you can't put your defense in bad positions that might let the other team score easily - and nothing does that like a turnover. So with this philosphy, Smith is doing the right thing - sacrificing a chance at a big play, to avoid the possibility of a big mistake.

Agreed
Originally posted by SF2AZNiner:
I think he needs more than a solid half season before he gets more $$$ from us.....

He gave up "more money" to stay with "us"

Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:

What's up Bob!
  • dj43
I am certain that everyone in the FO is hoping Smith will play well enough to justify extending him. The last thing the team wants is to face the reality of drafting yet another QB on the first day. There is no way they can sit pat and hope that Nate Davis is the messiah if Smith fails to demonstrate he is the man.

[ Edited by dj43 on Nov 3, 2009 at 11:33:47 ]

• Nes49
  • Veteran
If Alex continues to grow & improve...then their WILL BE NO QUESTION that we keep the kid.
We have plenty of season left. Why don't we wait to even start thinking about it
Originally posted by fzrdave:
The 9ers need to treat him just like every other player on the team. If he plays well and they decide he's important to the team’s future, then they need to lock him up early. If he plays only so-so, then they should wait and see during next season and then revisit signing him before the end of next season if he plays well enough. If he's mediocre to poor, then let him walk. His future with the team is in his hands, and that’s how it should be.

Agreed.. You have to lock up your core players when they are on the way up and before they reach their contract years. If he plays well down the stretch I would expect an extension or new deal to happen during the off season.
Originally posted by kemp_j:
Or do we let him play out the last year of his contract? Problem with the second scenerio is that he may feel like we're dicking him around and decide to sign with another team. Discuss.

I say let him finish out this year and monitor his progress next year. With a better offensive line his play SHOULD be even better. I see no rush to sign him until there is no doubt of what he can do. Alex has proven his loyalty to the Niners, and therefore the Niners should offer him a fair deal when the time comes........

i agree
Let's see, it's been a position of dire need for almost a decade... so when we find someone who can fill it, what do we do?

um... duh?

Share 49ersWebzone