LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 198 users in the forums

If Alex does well the rest of the season do we extend him?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
why extend a guy who played a good part of one season glad some of yall aren't gm's how bout the guy sproves it on the field 1st then have this conversation
If he does well there is no reason to extend his contract. The last thing we need is a good quarterback. We are better off whining.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
To early to tell
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Even though he has improved, I'd wait till next year to lock him up, players always play better in their contract years. See Abrayo Franklin.

I don't think Smith is about the money bro, he is playing for respect. It's not a contract year until next year for him, if he continues to improve, we have to lock him up so some other team tries to lure him away. I think he likes being a niner, and wants to be a niner. I for one, am happy to have a QB loyal to the team.
Even though he has improved, I'd wait till next year to lock him up, players always play better in their contract years. See Abrayo Franklin.

That would give me two reasons to re-sign him now if he continues his success.

1. Since he's not in a contract year, he's obviously playing well in general, not to get a big pay day.

2. If we re-sign him now instead of waiting until his contract year, his price tag will be lower than if he has a monster season.
  • dj43
1. Smith is a West Coast guy who will WANT to stay here in the good weather.

2. He is married to a West Coast woman.

3. If he continues to play like he did Sunday, against one of the best defenses in the league, he should be extended before the off-season bidding starts.

Take a look around the league; how many truly GOOD QBs are there? Not many. Over half the teams in the league would take the Alex Smith we have seen in the last 6 quarters over what they have right now.

If I were McCloughan, I would give him four more games, and if he continues to play well, I offer him a five year deal with an optional sixth at about what the #12 QB is now getting. Load some incentives in there so he gets his share if the team blossums and gets to the SB.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

I don't think Smith is about the money bro, he is playing for respect. It's not a contract year until next year for him, if he continues to improve, we have to lock him up so some other team tries to lure him away. I think he likes being a niner, and wants to be a niner. I for one, am happy to have a QB loyal to the team.

The only reason it isn't about money is because he made a sh!tload off his rookie deal.
It should be obvious that Smith doesn't care what he gets paid. He was already made rich with his rookie contract and he's not the kinda guy to blow his money on cars.
Originally posted by English:
If he plays like this for the rest of the season they will surely renegotiate during the off season. Hey, they could just get the details from his original contract!!

No way do you leave it until the end of next season. How long have we been looking for a franchise qb? And when you have found someone who might just be able to develop into one, you want to run the risk of losing him? Don't think so.

At least he is not likely to want to follow Nolan!!

Alex is looking pretty legit to me. He could have gone to another team for probably more money this year. But he chose to stay and see this through. Credit to him. I think that if he continues to prove himself to be the long-term answer at QB I don't think the Niners will have trouble extending him if they make a fair offer.

[ Edited by BHulman on Nov 3, 2009 at 13:57:29 ]
He re-negotiated to a two year contract so we have some time on our hands and don't need to do anything premature or drastic.

All that being said, if he plays well, we should wait till the end of the season. Keep all that for the offseason so Smith can keep his mind on winning rather than job status.

-9fA

[ Edited by 9erfanAUS on Nov 3, 2009 at 15:23:58 ]

Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
He re-negotiated to a two year contract so we have some time on our hands and need to do anything premature or drastic.

All that being said, if he plays well, we should wait till the end of the season. Keep all that for the offseason so Smith can keep his mind on winning rather than job status.

-9fA

THIS
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

That would give me two reasons to re-sign him now if he continues his success.

1. Since he's not in a contract year, he's obviously playing well in general, not to get a big pay day.

2. If we re-sign him now instead of waiting until his contract year, his price tag will be lower than if he has a monster season.

Hes playing well enough to keep his roster spot and job as of right now. If we miss the playoffs, I'd wait till next year to re-sign him and I'd draft another QB high.

If he has a monster season, then we should very well pay him what he wants right?? Why pay him now, if he regresses later??
After watching that game the second time around, Alex Smith choked in that last drive. He inaccurately threw it to two wide open receivers resulting in incompletions.

And Zero points in the second half.

[ Edited by Joecool on Nov 3, 2009 at 15:10:33 ]
Originally posted by Joecool:
After watching that game the second time around, Alex Smith choked in that last drive. He inaccurately threw it to two wide open receivers resulting in incompletions.

And Zero points in the second half.

I think if more people watch the game a second time, they will notice that

A- the oline did give him time to make throws....and he was showing happy feet.

B- Some of his passes that were thought to be catchable, were actually uncatchable.

but will also appreciate that 2 min drive that got us a TD....he was hitting on all cylinders and making great passes......

and some passes Bruce just let Alex and the team down with stupid easy drops that could've extended drives....

what I want to see is a regular drive in which we score a TD in the 1st qtr. middle of the 2nd qtr.....3qtr and middle of the 4th qtr. WHEN we are tied or leading...

Alex looked great in that Houston game....but we still have to see if it was more Alex or if the Texans were playing soft defense for most of that come back....same thing with against the Colts...2mins before half time....were the Colts playing soft D or was it ALL Alex.......and can he do that on regular series...

to be honest, either way i was impressed with that drive vs the Colts, be it 2min or not.....I can't remember the last time we as an offense was allowed to really go down and try to score......let alone score a TD instead of a fieldgoal....

so like others have said on here.....lets Free Alex again....but hopefully this time he is ready to be freed.
Extend him at the end of the season if he plays well.
Share 49ersWebzone