Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by danimal:
Originally posted by B650:
Originally posted by ads_2006:
Originally posted by footballxpaul:
proved yet again that he is perfectly capable of being an important part of this offense, and it ends there. If the win or loss comes down to Alex Smith, 9 times out of 10 you are going to get the loss.

Dumbest post of the day.

agreed

Sure All I have is actual results, stats and national agreement....and you guys have the almight homeric "glimpses"

Trust me, on 49erswebszone.com...being called is a compliment.

Thanks. and you are SMART

The fact is we shouldnt have had to come back in the game...

We started running conservative with a dwindling lead.

If we had kept passing with runs mixed in, we probably would have put up points (at least a couple field goals) and not put alex in a come from behind situation.

No, you're the genius. It's clearly Alex's fault we lost, especially since he wasn't on the field for the final 5 minutes of the game.

THAT IS THE POINT. Man, why do I have to repeat EVERYTHING on this forum? Just READ what I said already!!!!!

Quote:
he is perfectly capable of being an important part of this offense, and it ends there.

That means I don't blame the loss on Alex Smith....I blame the team. AGAIN. Once again Alex Smith has proven that you can not rely on him to SAVE you at the end.

Now you can all make your responses about all the dumb decisions the Niners made today which put Alex in a tough situation. And I will agree with ALL of them. The point is, there are QB's in this league right now who can carry a team to victory at the end.....Alex is not one of them.

How do I think Alex Smith played today? He played fine, and he is turning into a fine QB.

Then give him a little rope. If he is indeed turning into a fine QB, let's not then jump to the conclusion that he will not be able to pull games out.
  • Apone
  • Veteran
Considering the fact the colts allow the least amount of points on defense, with a 7th ranked pass defense he did just fine playing in his only second game in 2 years. He looked composed, not rattled and made some excellent throws. On top of that there were some dropped balls, and stupid penalties (Bass). Did he look perfect? No of course not, but neither did Manning. The most important thing that Smith does is keep the defense honest, by not letting them crowd the box with 8 or 9 guys. I think he only gets better.
  • titan
  • Veteran
Smith was solid considering the offensive line breaking down. He would have been a lot better if we could've got the running game going or just ditched it maybe Smith and the WR could've got their timing going.
He finally looks like a pro. Too bad he couldn't get more protection in the fourth quarter. This team will win the west.
proved yet again that he is perfectly capable of being an important part of this offense, and it ends there. If the win or loss comes down to Alex Smith, 9 times out of 10 you are going to get the loss.

Dumbest post of the day.

Isnt is amazing what some people actually post in here. UNREAL. Just an incredibly stupid post.
He looks at one receiver then looks to his dump off. This is why he will never be a good NFL QB. The most annoying play of the day for me was in the 2nd quarter our 2nd possession. 1st down from our 28 and we do a play action pass, the D looks to have bought it and there is no pass rush on Smith. His first and only read is to Morris who is covered running a 1 yard out which ends up incomplete. I mean come one, WTF is the point of running play action if your primary read is the freakin Fullback running a 1 yard pattern and he is not even open! These are the little things that Smith does that just drive me crazy!
Meh...

He did about the same as Hill has all season. Less than 60% completions, less than 200 yards passing, 1TD and 1 Int... We need a real effin QB instead of these losers...
Smith made 1 bad throw in the 4th quarter but as a whole I thought he played well. He did not cost the Niners the win today thats for sure.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
I see alot of posts consisting "Greats" and alot of "Very Well" as far as how he played today....

I don't agree with this at all... I think he did fine but needs to improve... he is playing like how he played before getting injured....which isn't necessary a good thing....

alot on here wanted to blame that INT on Crabtree but that was not the case.... Alex threw it high and away......Alex can get away with this as far as passes to the side line....but when throwing it in the middle of the field he needs to either be accurate or miss low....

and there was another pass that was an INT that was dropped by the cb....

so besides these passes...... Isaac Bruce let him down, dropped very easy catchable passes....and of course, imo, Raye let him down by not letting him get into rythem....this is one thing have been complaining for most of the season with Hill back there.....the playcalling doesn't really give our QB chances to get into rythem.... I believe that WildCat on 2nd down was a wasted play....and that 2nd down inside hand off to Norris of all people on 2nd and 10 WTF???

but back to Alex... this is one thing that drives me crazy...which I don't understand... he made some PERFECT throws...hooked up well with Crabtree for some first down.....but after hitting perfect passes....he can be TOTALLY off...and he does this in the middle of the field..the worst place to do so.

and of course those delay of game penalties are killing us....he should have been paying attention or if the playcall came in late he should have called time out... it went from being 3rd 7 to 3rd 11 on that crucial drive......

but yeah the Playcalling is what frustrates me...the formations we use....like someone else has mentioned, even when we come out in Shogun, Gore was still able to get some good yardage on a play.....we have to spread the defense out...and let Alex look at everything and decide early what he needs to do....when everyone is bunched in together and our Oline has let our QBs down on simple blocking assignments it makes a QB's job that much harder to try and read what a defense is going to do.......for as much as we run it.... I don't remember seeing one playaction rollout...or bootleg... I don't get it.......also not one deep pass attempt...why is this?

some on here need to be prepared for the reality of what is going to happen next week.....although most on here feel Alex played Very Well....next weeks game is going to be at the Stick...and the home fans have had no problem booing him after one series in the past...mainly because of having to pay to see him and our offenses struggle in the past.......so Alex needs to play efficient....Bruce needs to do his job...the oline will need to do their job...but more importantly Raye is going to have to do his job by putting Alex in the situation to make our offense successful.....or else it is going to get ugly at the stick....even if the game is close... we can't turn the ball over in the middle of the field like today.

I generally agree with you when it comes to QBs, but not here. Alex IS NOT the same QB he was before injury.

He's seeing the field a lot better and is stepping into his throws with a lot more confidence.

actually I think he was a better QB before his injury and still might have been better than he is today so far..... the best I've seen Alex play is when we move him around....when he is allowed (or chooses?) to throw down field..... when no one is open he moves....along the side line while still looking down field and completes a pass....bootlegs, playaction rollouts etc.....but so far from this years Alex he seems to be more comforable and confident when we are in Shotgun.... but this is where I'm not so sure how he is doing....because it seems like the only time we run Shotgun consistently is when we are in 2 min huddle....at the end of the first half or when we are down and the defense is playing semi prevent.....

so I don't really know where he is at right now...is it because he looks best when we are in 2 min situations....or is because Raye is not calling the plays that Alex is most comfortable with..... right now I'm more leaning on Raye at fault....but if Alex throws more passes in the middle that are not accurate than....maaaaan we have a problem.

I wish Sing would just take the playcalling duties away from Raye and give it to Mike Johnson...he is the one who has been working with Alex....I'm sure he knows what is best for Alex and our offense.
Your stuck on one pass down the middle and extrapolating an emergency out of it. I noticed on the highlights that he had several very nice passes in the middle of the field, why not focus on those?

One thing that stands out from last week and this week is that Smith plays the game much faster than Hill. He seems to process information faster and can find the open receiver quicker because of it.

If only we had an oline that played well and an OC that implemented a STRATEGIC offensive gameplan that plays to our teams strength.
Originally posted by D_Niner:
Meh...

He did about the same as Hill has all season. Less than 60% completions, less than 200 yards passing, 1TD and 1 Int... We need a real effin QB instead of these losers...

Oh, and a 74.7 QB rate... We could insert these numbers directly into Hill's stat sheet and no one would know the difference.

Today Alex played fine. However, I am in favor of adding a QB in the draft or FA next year that is capable of unseating him in a QB competition. Every year it seems as though we are going around in circles with this QB situation and every year we get the same results hoping. I am tired of not having a QB capable of putting a team on his back now and again. When I look at the other teams and see their QB's excelling I get real upset.

Our GM has got to get in in gear and draft on point next year or he needs to be gone. For the amount of high picks that we have accumulated we should be better than this. Better evaluation of our talent by the coaching staff needs to be done period. That being said, we need to upgrade the OLINE and we need a deep threat because I do not believe we have a WR on staff that can stretch the field. With Crabtree and a true deep threat, the QB will be setup for more success let alone Vernon and Frank.

Coach Sing needs to get this team rolling in the right direction and it all begins with the QB. I wish Alex pans out truly, but I for one am past hoping and waiting I say get some competent competition for him which can only help to improve this squad. I AM TIRED OF LOSING!

If we tank again this season, I am hoping for changes at the GM and coaching spots. Still it is a long ways to go and many games left to turn this around. GO NINERS!

Originally posted by truekingcarlos:
He deserves another start. Not a great performance but I saw some nice things. Scrambling to avoid the sack was nice. What I didn't like is that we never really challenged deep. I also like the chemistry he is building with Crabtree.

I believe he's earned the right to finish the year as our starting QB and try to build some chemistry with Davis, Crabtree, Gore, etc.
I'll go there with you. After watching the highlights of his passes he actually made some very good ones. I especially like the ones he throws over the cover 2 towards the corner, kind of a sharp floater that is just dead on accurate.

Watch the highlights, it made me reconsider my initial analysis. If only we had an offense that matched his strengths. Without a doubt, Smith would be far better in a passing offense.

[ Edited by truekingcarlos on Nov 1, 2009 at 20:28:42 ]
Originally posted by Super5:

WOW U SIR ARE AN IDIOT!
Played Great

f**k Raye
Originally posted by lonneybyrd:
Originally posted by Super5:

WOW U SIR ARE AN IDIOT!
I don't agree with the guys point of view; but, at least he has the balls to post his viewpoint instead of just calling someone an idiot. If you disagree with him, discuss it instead of making a personal attack on the guy.

Uncool

[ Edited by D_Niner on Nov 1, 2009 at 19:01:33 ]
Share 49ersWebzone