LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 216 users in the forums

Tarell Brown will start against Indy

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Is this move in preparation to do more blitzing on Manning...
I think it would of been sweeter if we hadn't announced it the day before the game. You know let it be a suprise to Peyton.
Originally posted by Dajanksta:
I think it would of been sweeter if we hadn't announced it the day before the game. You know let it be a suprise to Peyton.

I don't think Peyton gets surprised.
  • Esco
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by HessianDud:

He probably suspected this move during halftime for his last game and prepared accordingly.
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
Originally posted by Esco:
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
If anything this means Dre Bly is being benched and won't see much action?

I'm sure he'll see a lot of time in this game with that offense.

So you think we will be going with 4 cornerbacks a lot? I think maybe some but not a lot.

Depends on how R Smith is, I think if his groin is finally better he may see the field a bit.

I'm waiting for R.Smith to get healthy and get extended playing time,he looked good in preseason
  • cools
  • Veteran
Wayne plays split end, usually on left side, so Spencer (RCB) will likely be matched up with him

Garcon or Collie will be at Flanker, which T.Bown will cover

as others have said, Nate will probably also start and try to lockdown Clark all day.
so yes, we may be in a nickle all day

I wouldnt call it a demotion, but i find it odd that they would announce it
Originally posted by Esco:
Originally posted by HessianDud:

He probably suspected this move during halftime for his last game and prepared accordingly.

He can sense all defensive backs in the country. He knows what they think, what they eat for breakfast. He can smell their fear.
  • flow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dhp318:
I'm sure Nate will be covering Dallas Clark, which is a pretty tough task for anyone... Also, I'm sure the other wideout opposite Wayne will be a smaller quick guy like Garcon, which might be a better matchup for Brown.

Yeah, I'm thinking along these lines too. Here's a possible man-coverage scenario when the Colts come out with three wide receivers, one tight end and a tailback:

Wayne vs Spencer
Wayne--the Colts' best receiver--is coming off an injury, so even though Clements is better than Spencer, the injury to Wayne could allow Spencer to hold the fort.

Garcon vs Brown
Like dhp318 said, the guy opposite Wayne will be a shifty, quick receiver--most probably Garcon--and Brown might be well-suited to handle that job.

Collie vs Bly
Bly could handle the third receiver--premature celebrations aside.

Clark vs Clements
A healthy Clark is probably more threatening than an injured Wayne, so sticking our best coverage guy--Clements--on Clark could be the way to go.

What do you guys think?
[ Edited by Crazy4Niners on Oct 31, 2009 at 9:38 AM ]
http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2009/10/browns-promotion-prompts-quesions-about-clements-future.html
Nate and Bly don't have speed so it makes sense. MM has already reported that Nate will still be on the field the whole day since Indy plays 3 WR sets.

Good move by the coaching staff to try & match up on the outside & put Nate on Clark to Bump & Run him all day should slow him down.
  • Mex49
Don't tell Nolan we are using his big nickle
Originally posted by Mex49:
Don't tell Nolan we are using his big nickle

eh this is different than the big nickel. if we come out and play a soft zone all day we can compare it to the big nickel.
http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2009/10/browns-promotion-prompts-quesions-about-clements-future.html

Quote:
I'm told this is a one-week demotion for Clements based on the team's belief that Brown matches up better against the style of receivers the 49ers will face against the Colts. Indianapolis' offense is comprised of a bunch of mostly 6-foot tall receivers, such as Reggie Wayne, Austin Collie, Pierre Garcon.
Terrell Brown was not even the team's nickle back, and perhaps not even the dime back. Dly was the nickle and the team like to have a safety at dime (Roman for most of the season, and last week was Hudson). All of a sudden, after signing a contract extension for backup money (three years and $7.125 million contract) he is in the starting line up.

I do believe he is talented and can be a starting corner in the NFL. The match up excuse also make sense. But I have to say Terrell Brown was being cheated by the 49ers, that he wouldn't get much playing time before signing the extension. Once he crack into the starting lineup, he would worth a lot more money than the contract he just signed.

You can say the Niners is smart, but I think the team is doing a little too much of these things and it doesn't fit the Mike Singletary style.
Share 49ersWebzone