There are 625 users in the forums
Steve Young
Shop Find 49ers gear online
Oct 28, 2009 at 10:48 PM
- Spoonerism
- Veteran
- Posts: 460
What I don't understand about the way we drafted and the way a lot of teams draft is the need to pick a QB with the first overall pick. I remember in 05 there really wasn't that much to choose from but I'm of a mind to first build a strong team and then bring in the QB. Looking back on that year I would say the best and only good player we really had was Bryant Young. Our whole team was terrible. Put any scheme or formula together you want but no QB was going to succeed with those guys around him.
Oct 28, 2009 at 10:51 PM
- kidash98
- Hall of Fame
- Posts: 26,660
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I will cherish the day there is no more Alex Smith debates (One way or another).
AMEN!!!
- 98
Oct 28, 2009 at 11:11 PM
- Super5
- Veteran
- Posts: 1,513
Originally posted by GORE-ILLA:
to be honest Hill looked pretty crappy in preseason also...my main gripe about Smith is the short pass to Gore...he missed one in Houston also (not to take away from the great performance)
He saw the defender bearing down on Gore and didn't want him to get tackled in bounds with time running out,he clearly threw it over his head from my observation
Oct 28, 2009 at 11:13 PM
- blunt_probe
- Veteran
- Posts: 21,297
I don't understand the point of proving each other wrong on this issue. Whoever is given the job has my support. It seems that there are too many of us who would prefer to be "right" even at the team's expense.
Oct 28, 2009 at 11:15 PM
- toeknee
- Veteran
- Posts: 54,571
I'd cry if he indeed was just a late bloomer and can be qb for us and we can hear "smith to davis" "smith to crabtree" for years to come.
Oct 28, 2009 at 11:26 PM
- Joecool
- Veteran
- Posts: 70,984
Originally posted by teeohh:
I'd cry if he indeed was just a late bloomer and can be qb for us and we can hear "smith to davis" "smith to crabtree" for years to come.
![]()
Please let this be true. Remember, even Steve Young wasn't convinced that Alex was NFL talent. Young would always point to the fact that we still haven't seen him show us something that tells us he belongs.
Please light it up against the Colts. Fap...err..Knock on wood a million times.
Oct 28, 2009 at 11:28 PM
- Method
- Veteran
- Posts: 9,753
Originally posted by Joecool:Originally posted by teeohh:
I'd cry if he indeed was just a late bloomer and can be qb for us and we can hear "smith to davis" "smith to crabtree" for years to come.
![]()
Please let this be true. Remember, even Steve Young wasn't convinced that Alex was NFL talent. Young would always point to the fact that we still haven't seen him show us something that tells us he belongs.
Please light it up against the Colts. Fap...err..Knock on wood a million times.
Joe, I gotta agree with you about Alex. Even though I've been one of his biggest fans, I've never see him play as good as he was against Houston. Dude was just nailing every f**king throw, going through his progressions in less then 3 seconds, and just played the best half of QB I've seen from a 49er in years. Feels like a brand new season.... PLEASE ALEX, KEEP IT UP.
Oct 28, 2009 at 11:30 PM
- Joecool
- Veteran
- Posts: 70,984
Originally posted by Method:Originally posted by Joecool:Originally posted by teeohh:
I'd cry if he indeed was just a late bloomer and can be qb for us and we can hear "smith to davis" "smith to crabtree" for years to come.
![]()
Please let this be true. Remember, even Steve Young wasn't convinced that Alex was NFL talent. Young would always point to the fact that we still haven't seen him show us something that tells us he belongs.
Please light it up against the Colts. Fap...err..Knock on wood a million times.
Joe, I gotta agree with you about Alex. Even though I've been one of his biggest fans, I've never see him play as good as he was against Houston. Dude was just nailing every f**king throw, going through his progressions in less then 3 seconds, and just played the best half of QB I've seen from a 49er in years. Feels like a brand new season.... PLEASE ALEX, KEEP IT UP.
Stat aside, he looked like an NFL QB with FBI.
Oct 28, 2009 at 11:39 PM
- CorvaNinerFan
- Veteran
- Posts: 10,448
Alex was 20 years old when Nolan drafted him...he traded Rattay and threw Alex to the wolves. His 2nd year under Turner, he showed signs of really getting it, particularly the 2nd half of the season. Then came the horrendous pounding into the Candlestick turf by 300+ lb Rocky Benard. Tried to play because Nolan expected him to "tough it out". Worst thing he could've done. He wasn't really ready to play in 2008 and hurt the same shoulder again. After all that, he was declared a bust by many in this forum. Now, he's all the way back, has matured, and is ready to take over the team. We'll see how Jimmy Raye opens his playbook for Alex...I think he will. Remember, this is the same OC that helped Grbac put up some pretty impressive numbers in KC. If he does the same thing for Alex, our offense is gonna be pretty darn good. Let's see what happens...
Oct 28, 2009 at 11:46 PM
- Mospeed
- Veteran
- Posts: 522
Originally posted by GORE-ILLA:
i totally agree with Alex Smith getting the nod as the starting qb...but i find it truly hillarious that these Hill haters act like they knew for sure what alex had to bring to the table...truth is NOBODY knew that alex was going to play so well...he looked horrid in preseason...he still may stink it up NOBODY knows
If you look back at most of our posts before Alex got the nod there are actually a lot of us that knew what Alex is capable of. We wouldn't have been pushing for him if we didn't and would probably just be another person pushing for Davis. I also don't understand why you would call us Hill haters. Hill fans were the ones saying we should cut Alex before he played on Sunday. Alex fans have supported Hill pretty hard up until the Atlanta game, he made it obvious that he's not the answer and we knew Alex would be better despite the 5 year old statistics Hill fans have been spewing out.
Oct 28, 2009 at 11:54 PM
- Ronnie49Lott
- Veteran
- Posts: 8,506
Originally posted by kidash:Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I will cherish the day there is no more Alex Smith debates (One way or another).
AMEN!!!
- 98
True that. This is plain stupid.
Oct 29, 2009 at 12:53 AM
- 9erfanAUS
- Veteran
- Posts: 16,281
Originally posted by Joecool:Originally posted by teeohh:
I'd cry if he indeed was just a late bloomer and can be qb for us and we can hear "smith to davis" "smith to crabtree" for years to come.
![]()
Please let this be true. Remember, even Steve Young wasn't convinced that Alex was NFL talent. Young would always point to the fact that we still haven't seen him show us something that tells us he belongs.
Please light it up against the Colts. Fap...err..Knock on wood a million times.
Same here man. The last thing i want to do is draft another QB.
-9fA
Oct 29, 2009 at 3:17 AM
- leebert81
- Veteran
- Posts: 2,164
Originally posted by danimal:Originally posted by backontop:Originally posted by danimal:Originally posted by backontop:Originally posted by 190836:Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
bulls**t.
how do you explain the bad throws? fumbles at the snap?
How do you explain picking him number one over all.
who else were we supposed to pick
Most ridiculous argument I ever hear in the Alex debate. Every single position was a position of need. Does Ronnie Brown or Braylon Edwards ring a bell? How about Ware, Merriman or Rolle? shoot how about Benson? Hows about Roddy White? Jammal Brown?
who else were we supposed to pick?
well it was pretty obvious that the first pick was going to be a QB. You just listed a bunch of woulda shoulda couldas. The options for the team at the time was rodgers or Smith. The team chose smith.
Yeah, that is a retarded way to run a football franchise. Trust me, I was posting all this in March of 2005.....NO HINDSIGHT in my game.
That level of GM ship is getting outdated fast.....its just too bad the fan base is still way behind. NEVER paint yourself into a corner. Parcells gets it......notice how he didn't use his top pick on a FRANCHISE QB.
Thats Lions and Browns kind of thinking.......wait......who was one of the worst teams of the decade? Coincidence...I think not.
I'm still trying to figure out how or where you were posting this since you've only been a member here since Feb of 2009. Another stage name? If so, what was it? Did you get banned? It's real easy to make these comments but how do you actually back them up?

Just wondering...
LB
Oct 29, 2009 at 4:37 AM
- GoreGoreGore
- 10HourChicken
- Posts: 61,689
Originally posted by kidash:Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I will cherish the day there is no more Alex Smith debates (One way or another).
AMEN!!!
- 98
Oct 29, 2009 at 4:54 AM
- SanDiego49er
- Veteran
- Posts: 52,318
Originally posted by leebert81:Originally posted by danimal:Originally posted by backontop:Originally posted by danimal:Originally posted by backontop:Originally posted by 190836:Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
bulls**t.
how do you explain the bad throws? fumbles at the snap?
How do you explain picking him number one over all.
who else were we supposed to pick
Most ridiculous argument I ever hear in the Alex debate. Every single position was a position of need. Does Ronnie Brown or Braylon Edwards ring a bell? How about Ware, Merriman or Rolle? shoot how about Benson? Hows about Roddy White? Jammal Brown?
who else were we supposed to pick?
well it was pretty obvious that the first pick was going to be a QB. You just listed a bunch of woulda shoulda couldas. The options for the team at the time was rodgers or Smith. The team chose smith.
Yeah, that is a retarded way to run a football franchise. Trust me, I was posting all this in March of 2005.....NO HINDSIGHT in my game.
That level of GM ship is getting outdated fast.....its just too bad the fan base is still way behind. NEVER paint yourself into a corner. Parcells gets it......notice how he didn't use his top pick on a FRANCHISE QB.
Thats Lions and Browns kind of thinking.......wait......who was one of the worst teams of the decade? Coincidence...I think not.
I'm still trying to figure out how or where you were posting this since you've only been a member here since Feb of 2009. Another stage name? If so, what was it? Did you get banned? It's real easy to make these comments but how do you actually back them up?
Just wondering...
LB
He's a previous poster who got banned.
