There are 179 users in the forums

Tarell Brown signs 3-year extension

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:
Originally posted by JBatta49erfansince81:
Why re-sign him to a multi-year deal? Has he proven his worth?

Exactly. He hardly plays at all. This is a

Not really a headscratcher.........its good to lock up your young guys for reasonable terms. The team clearly sees him as being at least the nickel corner someday if not the starter. That's not a high price to pay. Better to lock him up now. I'm not proclaiming him to be Rod Woodson, i'm just saying it makes sense to lock up your young guys before they do blow up and leave you high and dry.
wow great to hear... iv been wondering why he hasnt been playing because id like to see him get some experience because i think he can play... good to know that he knows hes appreciated and we have him locked up for some time
Originally posted by JDeezy:

Not really a headscratcher.........its good to lock up your young guys for reasonable terms. The team clearly sees him as being at least the nickel corner someday if not the starter. That's not a high price to pay. Better to lock him up now. I'm not proclaiming him to be Rod Woodson, i'm just saying it makes sense to lock up your young guys before they do blow up and leave you high and dry.

Price is not the issue. He doesn't get any reps and couldn't beat out Spencer or Bly. Hell I saw Hudson in the lineup more last game. If Bly is only here this year then it makes more sense. I still think he needs some more reps before we consider him a starter.
  • DJD
  • Veteran
I like how the front office is managing the cap and not letting players go to free agency. I don't see bly coming back next year. He is a bit too squirrelly.

They were going to use the money to sign you, but you missed the phone call.

Nate to ss and Brown to cb
Originally posted by smashmouth51:
Nate to ss and Brown to cb

the post reply button is too easy to find
Good move, I think that means Walt Harris wont be back nad also we only signed Dre Bly to a 1 year contract so I think next year Brown is our nickel back

For the same reason we signed Spencer several years ago, because you have to sign good players before they become too expensive.

The era of the salary cap forces a team to make early moves like this.

For example, Wills and Vernon Davis are going to be very hard to sign now that they have shown the league what they are.

Spencer is playing fantastic football for a relatively low price. Brown has similar talent.
simple. Bly probably isn't coming back next year. Walt harris is old and returning from an ACL. Hudson probably won't be back either. Time to upgrade the position with some talented youth. Clements ain't a spring chicken either. T. Brown = nickleback next year.

Originally posted by BrianGO:

For the same reason we signed Spencer several years ago, because you have to sign good players before they become too expensive.

The era of the salary cap forces a team to make early moves like this.

For example, Wills and Vernon Davis are going to be very hard to sign now that they have shown the league what they are.

Spencer is playing fantastic football for a relatively low price. Brown has similar talent.

They aren't gonna be hard to sign just expensive. Nothing wrong with that gotta pay to play.
  • pd24
  • Veteran

They are paying him an average of 2.4 million a season over the next 3 years. That is a great deal.
Glad he is resigned, he will be a player we need for good depth in this passing division.
From Barrows:

Quote:
The 49ers confirmed that they have given cornerback Tarell Brown -- the team's No. 4 cornerback this year -- a three-year extension. Per Adam Schefter of ESPN, the deal is for three years and $7.125 million contract. The deal includes a $2.5 million signing bonus, and it will pay Brown $800,000 in 2011, $850,000 in 2012, and $925,000 in 2013. That means Brown is signed through 2013. The team's other CBs and their contract statuses (stati?)

Dre Bly - signed through 2009
Nate Clements - signed through 2013
Walt Harris - signed through 2009
Marcus Hudson - signed through 2009
Shawntae Spencer -- signed through 2012

http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/49ers/
[ Edited by darkknight49 on Oct 28, 2009 at 2:05 PM ]

That's why Brown only got a three year extension. Keep in mind if injuries hadn't slowed him down in TC he would be starting ahead of Bly.
Share 49ersWebzone