LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 220 users in the forums

Power Running Offense is out dated and doesn't work.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
Originally posted by rum53:
haven't the Steelers been considered a power running team the past few years???

The Steelers operate out of a spread offense in passing situations.

at this point yeah true, but they've been successful w/ the power run game.

a power running offense is old school style.... but it's definitely not outdated.

I use to think the same thing, but in today's modern NFL you have to be able to throw the ball better than you can run it. So it is a little outdated. Steelers and Cardinals. last years SB, both teams had prolific passing attacks. Not great running games. Things changed. Giants and Patriots, passing teams in the bowl before that. Slowly changing

I'm not saying the rung game is not important. It's just over rated. Teams need only at the end of games now days. A great offense will beat a great defense any day.

nah.... i respect your opinion but i don't agree. my thinking is if you have the right personnel, you can run whatever offense you want as long as they execute, and the coaches call a good game.

as far as the run/pass ratio. i believe you need to be dominant at one, and you'll set up the other part of it. pass to set up the run, or run to set up the pass. as long as you're not one dimensional.

I'm telling you look at most of the top teams in the league now. They have good passing games. There is no more run the ball and play great defense teams that will win the Super Bowl. This is a passing league.

Top Rushing Teams

1 New York Jets
2 Miami Dolphins
3 New Orleans Saints
4 Dallas Cowboys
5 New York Giants
6 Tennessee Titans
7 Denver Broncos
8 Carolina Panthers
9 Cincinnati Bengals
10 Baltimore Ravens

Top Passing Teams

1 Indianapolis Colts
2 New England Patriots
3 Houston Texans
4 San Diego Chargers
5 Pittsburgh Steelers
6 New Orleans Saints
7 Arizona Cardinals
8 Baltimore Ravens
9 Dallas Cowboys
10 Green Bay Packers
11 New York Giants
12 Denver Broncos
13 Minnesota Vikings

Compare the overall record of the 2 lists. Even though I added 11-13. Running game is over rated. It's important but over rated. If Alex can be consistent we have the receivers and tight ends to have a nice passing attack. Of course a decent O-Line would help.

dude. i was agreeing with you. you need a passing game to win.
Every team that had dynasties had a awesome balanced attack and a good D. Sure, some teams have won a SB with either a pass heavy attack, or a run heavy attack, or with a OK or bad defense, but they never became a dynasty. There are always going to be exceptions here and there. But to be a consistent contender, you need a great balanced attack and a good D.
Originally posted by rum53:
haven't the Steelers been considered a power running team the past few years???

The Steelers operate out of a spread offense in passing situations.

at this point yeah true, but they've been successful w/ the power run game.

a power running offense is old school style.... but it's definitely not outdated.

I use to think the same thing, but in today's modern NFL you have to be able to throw the ball better than you can run it. So it is a little outdated. Steelers and Cardinals. last years SB, both teams had prolific passing attacks. Not great running games. Things changed. Giants and Patriots, passing teams in the bowl before that. Slowly changing

I'm not saying the rung game is not important. It's just over rated. Teams need only at the end of games now days. A great offense will beat a great defense any day.

nah.... i respect your opinion but i don't agree. my thinking is if you have the right personnel, you can run whatever offense you want as long as they execute, and the coaches call a good game.

as far as the run/pass ratio. i believe you need to be dominant at one, and you'll set up the other part of it. pass to set up the run, or run to set up the pass. as long as you're not one dimensional.

I'm telling you look at most of the top teams in the league now. They have good passing games. There is no more run the ball and play great defense teams that will win the Super Bowl. This is a passing league.

Top Rushing Teams

1 New York Jets
2 Miami Dolphins
3 New Orleans Saints
4 Dallas Cowboys
5 New York Giants
6 Tennessee Titans
7 Denver Broncos
8 Carolina Panthers
9 Cincinnati Bengals
10 Baltimore Ravens

Top Passing Teams

1 Indianapolis Colts
2 New England Patriots
3 Houston Texans
4 San Diego Chargers
5 Pittsburgh Steelers
6 New Orleans Saints
7 Arizona Cardinals
8 Baltimore Ravens
9 Dallas Cowboys
10 Green Bay Packers
11 New York Giants
12 Denver Broncos
13 Minnesota Vikings

Compare the overall record of the 2 lists. Even though I added 11-13. Running game is over rated. It's important but over rated. If Alex can be consistent we have the receivers and tight ends to have a nice passing attack. Of course a decent O-Line would help.

dude. i was agreeing with you. you need a passing game to win.

I know, I'm not arguing. Just saying that you can be one dimensional and win. But the one dimension better be passing and playing good defense rather than the running and playing good defense approach.
Originally posted by kronik:
Every team that had dynasties had a awesome balanced attack and a good D. Sure, some teams have won a SB with either a pass heavy attack, or a run heavy attack, or with a OK or bad defense, but they never became a dynasty. There are always going to be exceptions here and there. But to be a consistent contender, you need a great balanced attack and a good D.

Just pointing out the modern trend in a copycat league. Balance is important but even more important is a good QB, passing game.

Just pointing out the modern trend in a copycat league. Balance is important but even more important is a good QB, passing game.

I actually agree that a good passing game is more important than the running game. But the lack of a running game won't get you far in the playoffs (usually). That's why a balanced attack is the most important.
  • irief
  • Veteran

I actually agree that a good passing game is more important than the running game. But the lack of a running game won't get you far in the playoffs (usually). That's why a balanced attack is the most important.

You will never be able to run the ball, no matter how great your OL, if the defense doesn't respect your passing game. How ever, many teams can have a passing attack even without a great running game. I think in this day and age it all starts with the passing game. You only use a power running attack for short yardage and to maintain the lead and run out the clock.

I know, I'm not arguing. Just saying that you can be one dimensional and win. But the one dimension better be passing and playing good defense rather than the running and playing good defense approach.

i don't think you can be one dimensional and win... even with a strong passing game you still need a decent enough run game to help control the clock, and keep the pass rushers honest and off of your QB.

but if we were one dimensional on offense, i'd rather it be passing.
WRONG, refer to last years playoffs, specifically AFC.
tell that to miami
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kem99:
Originally posted by irief:
Offenses that concentrate on a Power Running attack just don't work. This is an out dated idea that may have worked a few decades ago, but doesn't work in today's NFL.

Just look at the best teams this season. Colts, Saints, Broncos, Steelers, Patriots, Vikings...etc. They all have good to great passing attacks. You can't just run against today's defenses at will. Today's LB's and DL's are way to fast and strong for an offense to just impose a running attack on them. Offenses need to be able to spread the defenses out to have an effective running attack. No team can run consistently against 8 and 9 in the box.

Sing needs to realize this real fast, and hopefully adjust his philosophy with Alex at the helm, other wise he will be another coaching casualty at the end of this season.

LOL...First, the Giants won the SB all of 2 years ago with a power running attack. Second, Second, the Vikings are a power running team but they also have a good passing attack. The Steelers have gotten better this year with Mendenhal giving them a power running attack. The Saints are better this year because they can run the ball. Denver has rushed 185 times and passed 194 times so they're basically balanced. The Colts and Patriots are pass first teams but they also have Manning and Brady, which the 49ers don't. Third, the 49ers have thrown it 178 times and rushed 145 times so they have not exactly been a "power rushing" team. Fourth, the 49ers ran against 8 in the box in 2006 to the tune of Gore getting almost 1700 yards.

The philosophy is fine. The execution from the OL, RB, QB and WR (probably in that order) needs to be better. Singletary's not getting fired after this year so just calm down about that.

Notwithstanding the desire to get back to the playoffs, the biggest point to this season was for the 49ers to figure out if their QB of the present and future was on the roster. It is clear that Hill is probably not that guy. He's just too limited in what he can do. Now they have to figure out if Smith can be that guy (again). They probably won't know what they have in Davis for at least a couple of years. With the 2 No. 1's in next year's draft, they have to leave this season knowing what they have at QB and whether they need to draft another 1st round QB to go forward.

LOL, we won five SB's passing the ball. Did you forget?

Originally posted by irief:
Offenses that concentrate on a Power Running attack just don't work. This is an out dated idea that may have worked a few decades ago, but doesn't work in today's NFL.

Just look at the best teams this season. Colts, Saints, Broncos, Steelers, Patriots, Vikings...etc. They all have good to great passing attacks. You can't just run against today's defenses at will. Today's LB's and DL's are way to fast and strong for an offense to just impose a running attack on them. Offenses need to be able to spread the defenses out to have an effective running attack. No team can run consistently against 8 and 9 in the box.

Sing needs to realize this real fast, and hopefully adjust his philosophy with Alex at the helm, other wise he will be another coaching casualty at the end of this season.

You are right and hopefully Singletary got that memo.
  • mando1988
  • Info N/A
So is Jimmy raye gonna be Able to adapt to this????
  • 49Wild
  • Info N/A
Power running games work. What do you think the MIA. Wildcat is? It works if thats all you have. For our team we dont have to be just a power running team. Not with all the pass catchers we have that can catch and run. Our pass should set up our run. Not the other way around. This is Frisco, take that run 1st offense to the East Coast where its cold all year. We pass to run.
JC, you hit it on the head. The best way to untrack a running game is to pass the ball effectively. Once you establish some consistency with that, there will be holes for the running game. Gore will definitely benefit from Alex's play...and, lest we forget, he's also a pretty darn good receiver. He can be to the Niners what Edgerin James was to the Colts...but first you have to display a consistent passing ability downfield.
Originally posted by dj43:
You are correct about the best offenses today. That is not a accident. The league has been steadily changing the rules over the past 10 years to encourage passing for the simple reason it is more exciting for the fans.

As to the 49ers, I don't blame Singletary for starting from a power running offense. He was only looking at what he had and what they could do. The obvious thing is that Hill doesn't have the arm strength to throw it the way you must to be a good passing offense. Second, Gore was the only bona fide weapon. Third, they lacked quality receivers. Result; we do what we can do...hit you in the mouth and run over you.

With Crabtree, Morgan, Davis, Gore and now the hopefully "new" Alex Smith, this team looks like it can pass the ball. None of those things were apparent in the off-season.

Well said, and I think; accurate.
Share 49ersWebzone