There are 250 users in the forums

Power Running Offense is out dated and doesn't work.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • irief
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:
Maybe you didn't watch Singletary's presser yesterday. He addressed this and reiterated that he never once said we would just run the ball all the time. Again we're not a 3 yards and a cloud of dust type of offense. He said he always wants balance. Only he wants to be able to run the ball when we need to.

Right now we don't have any type of running game to speak of. Power, finesse, spread. Nothing.

He may have said this yesterday, but he made it clear when he took over permanently as head coach that his philosophy is to be able to run the ball at will, even if the defense knows it's coming. I think he is starting to change is mentality, based on how the season has progressed.

My point is that his initital philosophy is out dated and flawed in todays NFL. In todays NFL you need to have a good passing game to keep the defense honest and to be able to set up the run. Not Vice Versa.
We dont have the O-Line to run a smashmouth offense

Raye is Just gonna have to pull a bill walsh and get creative and find ways to move the ball, but by the looks of our play selection in the 2nd half, Raye knows our best shot is passing the damn ball and using more 3 & 4 WR packages.

Were gonna have to use the pass to set up the run, even though it's just the opposite of what Sing had in mind.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Jcool:
no running game is going to work when you have 9 players in the box waiting for our RB because they know we couldn't throw the ball to save our lives. Only RB that could make that work is Adrian Peterson but also helps when you have Steve Hutchinson blocking for you.

This.

We were basically playing against goal line defense just about every first down. In those situations, you either lose yards, barely gain a yard or break a huge run, which is exactly what we are doing.

Gore has great vision and cutting ability but he needs a little space to use it. Alex Smith and spreading out the defense just may be the best thing for Gore. Even if Alex doesn't play lights out, defenses must still now watch for Crabtree and Vernon, so Gore will get less attention.
You're right, we are playing a goal line stand on every play. I am surprised that Gore's head isn't flat from running into that wall of human flesh on every down. I hope that Sing sees the light and lets Raye run a more liberal passing attack. Last year the team that ran the most was at 53 percent run and 47 percent pass. Where the 60 percent idea for a running attack came from is beyond me. Our teams BEST unit on offense is our W.R's. In order to win, a team must use its BEST players regardless of football philosophy. I hope Sing sees the light and makes the right changes.
OUR Power Running Offense is out dated because we don't have a Power Running Offense.

Believe it. If you have a power running offense, it will work. You just need a top defense to go with it.

That's what I don't get. If teams want to go with the power running scheme, they need to realize their defense better be strong which means you need two components to be top level.

With a high scoring offense, you don't need to rely on that second component to be great. Singletary just doesn't get it. Running only kills the clock. It doesn't sustain leads, it doesn't get leads, and it doesn't move the chains.

Passing scores the points and points are needed to win, unless you want to run, kill all of the clock and end in a tie or your kicker will be your leading scorer.
Originally posted by irief:
Maybe you didn't watch Singletary's presser yesterday. He addressed this and reiterated that he never once said we would just run the ball all the time. Again we're not a 3 yards and a cloud of dust type of offense. He said he always wants balance. Only he wants to be able to run the ball when we need to.

Right now we don't have any type of running game to speak of. Power, finesse, spread. Nothing.

He may have said this yesterday, but he made it clear when he took over permanently as head coach that his philosophy is to be able to run the ball at will, even if the defense knows it's coming. I think he is starting to change is mentality, based on how the season has progressed.

My point is that his initital philosophy is out dated and flawed in todays NFL. In todays NFL you need to have a good passing game to keep the defense honest and to be able to set up the run. Not Vice Versa.

He might change his philosophy because he realized what kind of offensive line he has. Still he's correct when he says we have to run at will. Definitely not a power running game. And if we continue to fall behind early in games we will never get the running game on track. Maybe he should reevaluate his philosophies on defense. They're giving up the big play again.
  • TOP_CAT
  • Info N/A
You do of course realize that the Niners are and have been all year more of a passing team than a running team,don't you? Look up the stats,we have passed more this year than run.
I don't get the confusion by so many fans about this,since we started out the season against the Cards by passing 58% of the plays and have continued every game to pass more than run.
Sing and Raye have said from day one that they wanted to be a well balanced attack (about 50-50) . Nothing has changed in their minds on this issue. Raye did pull the chain of the media by jokingly stating that he wanted to run 60 % of the time (he said it only once,but said many times he wanted to be 50-50,and besides,no team has run 60% of the time inthe modern era,and all observant fans knew this and laughed when Raye said his 60% joke). Raye was probably just laughing at the media because they always write that Raye and sing want to be a run,run,run,team,when they have only said from the start that they want to be well balanced and want to run when they need to run and pass when they need to pass.
Like sing said once again in his press conference yesterday,he has never wanted to be 3 yards and a cloud of dust.That has been an invention of some ignorant media types,that far too many fans have been sucked in by.
haven't the Steelers been considered a power running team the past few years???
Originally posted by Joecool:
OUR Power Running Offense is out dated because we don't have a Power Running Offense.

Believe it. If you have a power running offense, it will work. You just need a top defense to go with it.

That's what I don't get. If teams want to go with the power running scheme, they need to realize their defense better be strong which means you need two components to be top level.

With a high scoring offense, you don't need to rely on that second component to be great. Singletary just doesn't get it. Running only kills the clock. It doesn't sustain leads, it doesn't get leads, and it doesn't move the chains.

Passing scores the points and points are needed to win, unless you want to run, kill all of the clock and end in a tie or your kicker will be your leading scorer.

I kinda agree with you but life is so much easier when you can run the ball. Especially for a QB. I hope everyone realizes Alex won't be slanging the ball around like he did last week. He will need Frank to keep the defense honest. As I just posted we can't fall behind early. Indianapolis has shown that they have trouble stopping the run. Take advantage and keep the ball out of Peyton's hands.

...........yup!!!! the whole only run the ball offense has been the most misinterpreted thing this entire season!!
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:

Not anymore. They won the SB with no running game last year. It was all Roethlisberger.

Not anymore. They won the SB with no running game last year. It was all Roethlisberger.

but they did with their 5th mainly with a power run attack.

Ravens also won it in 2000 same style.
Titans have been successful with it.
  • rum53
  • Veteran

The Steelers operate out of a spread offense in passing situations.
Originally posted by rum53:

The Steelers operate out of a spread offense in passing situations.

at this point yeah true, but they've been successful w/ the power run game.

a power running offense is old school style.... but it's definitely not outdated.

but they did with their 5th mainly with a power run attack.

Ravens also won it in 2000 same style.
Titans have been successful with it.

They had a better Offensive Line and Jerome Bettis in 04. Not the same team anymore. They are now a spread offense with Mendenhall coming on.

2000 Ravens, 2002 Bucs are teams we will never see again. They didn't run the ball as good as you think. Those defenses will never be duplicated again. Ray Lewis would tell the offense to just score 13 points and they would never lose. He was right.
this thread is idiotic. you obviously dont understand the strategy.

YES power O or D is out dated. Teams have gone to more shifty fast offensive and defensive players. Meaning, players are smaller, and weaker. To expose this trend, we have build a power team. We have bigger and stronger players which will be able to MAN HANDLE other smaller teams.

A team has small, light, fast defensive linemen. We have HUGE powerful O linemen. We run it down the gut. How can you stop that?? You can't. And that's the philosophy. We aren't the only ones doing this, by the way. The chargers and ravens are the same exact way. It works. We just may not have made the most of it yet, but it will happen. I think it's a very smart idea. And I'm not making this up, I read it a while back- The philosophy Nolan had when building the team. It's a good idea.
Share 49ersWebzone