There are 159 users in the forums

Dashon Goldson's progress

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • dj43
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
Originally posted by dj43:
Let's not get carried away here. He has shown some nice potential but he also still has a bad case of Killa Keith Disease: he takes bad angles and overplays the ball carrier looking for the big hit instead of wrapping up. He has given up multiple deep passes, including a number of TDs, this year. He needs more discipline if he is to be the safety the team needs.

If Stanton hadn't thrown that pick right at him, he would have been a goat for the PI he commited just prior.

No, he'll always be top-rated in my book; he always has. He doesnt give up too many big plays. Hes got 80+ tackles, always by the ball, will pop YOU if you come running his way, causes collisions and fumbles, good ball skills, hes a leader Bro!

Well, I hope he becomes the player you think he is now.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Let's not get carried away here. He has shown some nice potential but he also still has a bad case of Killa Keith Disease: he takes bad angles and overplays the ball carrier looking for the big hit instead of wrapping up. He has given up multiple deep passes, including a number of TDs, this year. He needs more discipline if he is to be the safety the team needs.

If Stanton hadn't thrown that pick right at him, he would have been a goat for the PI he commited just prior.

No, he'll always be top-rated in my book; he always has. He doesnt give up too many big plays. Hes got 80+ tackles, always by the ball, will pop YOU if you come running his way, causes collisions and fumbles, good ball skills, hes a leader Bro!

Not quite sure how you can say that. Please do some research first.

2009 rankings (with Goldson):
* 4th worst in passing defense.
* 10th worst in NFL in giving up passes off over 40 yards.
* 12th worst in the NFL in giving up pass plays off over 20 yards.

2008 rankings (with Roman):
* 13th worst in passing defense
* 2nd worst in the NFL in giving up passes over 40 yards.
* 29th worst in the NFL in giving up passes over 20 yards.

Sure the stats neglect the effect of Harris' and Clements' injuries, but I think it's fair to say that Goldson deserves his share of blame.

-9fA

Good find on the stats, that sorry SOB!

Seriously though, I think hes improving every week and hes a big contributor in our defensive success if there is any. It would be a huge drop-off if anyone else on the team subs in his position.

For the record, I am Dashon Goldson's biggest supporter, and fan. So take it from me, he IS the truth, NEXT GAME. And NEXT YEAR... damn, I hate saying that

Sure the stats neglect the effect of Harris' and Clements' injuries, but I think it's fair to say that Goldson deserves his share of blame.

-9fA

Good find on the stats, that sorry SOB!

Seriously though, I think hes improving every week and hes a big contributor in our defensive success if there is any. It would be a huge drop-off if anyone else on the team subs in his position.

For the record, I am Dashon Goldson's biggest supporter, and fan. So take it from me, he IS the truth, NEXT GAME. And NEXT YEAR... damn, I hate saying that

My main point is that Goldson has been inconsistent and he needs to find that middle ground - same goes with Alex. The pass defense as a whole has been bad, especially between the 20 yard lines.

I wasn't expecting to see him come in and become our version of Ed Reed, but from the play that I have seen, I'm excited to see what he'll do next year now that he'll have a season under his belt.

-9fA
The big difference between Goldson and Roman is that Goldson actually makes BIG defensive plays like INT's and FF's so you can forgive the occasional mistake where as Roman just kind of just wrap tackles people after they make receptions.
Originally posted by young9er:
The big difference between Goldson and Roman is that Goldson actually makes BIG defensive plays like INT's and FF's so you can forgive the occasional mistake where as Roman just kind of just wrap tackles people after they make receptions.

Agree. Would be nice to find another safety & slide Goldson over to strong safety.
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by young9er:

Agree. Would be nice to find another safety & slide Goldson over to strong safety.

Why do most people believe in Goldson sliding over to SS, and getting theoreticly, Eric Berry and playing him at FS? Why cant EB play strong safety? Whats the biggest difference in the positions besides run support by the SS? Biggest difference in Goldson's strengths as a SS as compared to Berry? Im asking these ?s because I dont know.
[ Edited by SFL49ER on Dec 27, 2009 at 7:54 PM ]

-9fA

We are playing more agressive and more man this year.
I think it is safe to say that when you replace 3 out of 4 starters (Harris,Roman,Clements)from the year before there are going to be some miscomminications and their going to give up spme big plays..

Fact is Goldson has 4 more interceptions this year than Roman had the last two combined... oh wait, thats because Roman had none,thats right.

4-0
[ Edited by mullintrax on Dec 27, 2009 at 8:24 PM ]
Why do most people believe in Goldson sliding over to SS, and getting theoreticly, Eric Berry and playing him at FS? Why cant EB play strong safety? Whats the biggest difference in the positions besides run support by the SS? Biggest difference in Goldson's strengths as a SS as compared to Berry? Im asking these ?s because I dont know.

Since I've been pushing the "Goldson should be the SS" idea, I'll give you my opinion, but you've basically have stated my answer.

Goldson plays the run very well and is a big hitter. He always goes for the big hit rather than a sure tackle which is a problem. Since he plays FS, he's essentially the last line of defense so if he misses a tackle or takes the wrong angle (which is his weakness), the ballcarrier or WR has a TD. Just watch the Chris Johnson highlights when we played Tenn.

Plus I prefer my FS to play like a ballhawking centerfielder. Merton Hanks and Tim McDonald were a great duo in the 90s because they excelled at what the other teammate couldn't do. With Goldson and Michael Lewis, they are basically the same player. Roman's problem was that he wasn't great at anything particular but he knew his assignments. Eric Berry is the 2010 version of Ed Reed.

But the only way we get Berry is if we trade up (which I doubt would happen and if it did happen, it wouldn't be for a FS), or Berry falls to our laps ala Crabtree.
did anyone catch that? when willis picked off stanton..
right before willis catches it Goldson BLOWS UP the running back

watch it here!
http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2009122711/2009/REG16/lions@49ers#tab:watch

just scroll down to Willis picks off Stanton

Originally posted by momoney925:

watch it here!

Originally posted by RonMexico:

watch it here!

this dude is gonna be a BALLER for us next year. Can't wait!!! I only wish we could of put Berry back there with him.
Originally posted by RonMexico:

watch it here!

why did the dumb announcers not mention that hit? ridiculous. his a55 got lit up.
Originally posted by sacniner:
why did the dumb announcers not mention that hit? ridiculous. his a55 got lit up.

Goldson announced it for them.
Share 49ersWebzone