LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 233 users in the forums

Video of the 4th down INT

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by luis1985:
IMO Alex made the right read but the Oline didn't give him enough time. He had guys in his face and back by the time he threw the ball, and looks like he was touched because the ball did not look right when he threw it. Also Gore was wide open but he would be the last read I think and would of needed even more time to hit him then VD or Bruce. That intercepting is the Olines fault specially the left side.

Also the playcalling could be at fault too. Raye should have called shorter routes (to get 1st down) that take less time to develope. We had enough time to run a play, spike it, and at least kick a field goal (or even run another play I think). How many T.O. left did we have by that time? I don't remember.

We still had 1 left.
Originally posted by B650:
IMO Alex made the right read but the Oline didn't give him enough time. He had guys in his face and back by the time he threw the ball, and looks like he was touched because the ball did not look right when he threw it. Also Gore was wide open but he would be the last read I think and would of needed even more time to hit him then VD or Bruce. That intercepting is the Olines fault specially the left side.

Also the playcalling could be at fault too. Raye should have called shorter routes (to get 1st down) that take less time to develope. We had enough time to run a play, spike it, and at least kick a field goal (or even run another play I think). How many T.O. left did we have by that time? I don't remember.

We still had 1 left.

Than IMO it's Raye's fault. He should have called shorter routes to get 1st then called a T.O.

We still had 1 left.

Than IMO it's Raye's fault. He should have called shorter routes to get 1st then called a T.O.

it was 4th down. if they threw a shorter route it would have been a turnover on downs game over.
The Texans stunted and neither Baas, nor Staley, were able to anchor their feet to stop the penetration. Smith didn't have a chance on that one.

Part of this is bad luck. Heitmann doubled immediately on the undertackle, instead of the NT in this play. If he was doubling on the left side of the line, Smith would have had longer to throw.

Just bad luck.
Originally posted by jdt84_2:

We still had 1 left.

it was 4th down. if they threw a shorter route it would have been a turnover on downs game over.

I mean like routes that are around 10-11 yards deep even some slants or something.

I disagree, I think Alex was thinking that it would be the final play, make it count. Instead if he read the defense, Gore was the obvious choice. The LB that should have picked up Gore out of the backfield got drawn toward the right side of the field and left Gore uncovered. He was calling for it but Smith was looking downfield. Can't say I really blame him though, it is would be hard to dump it off knowing you need 10 yards and you have been having success down the field.
Originally posted by Super5:
Originally posted by Bali-Niner:
No matter how good the 3 drives were, he threw an INT that lost the opportunity to at least tie the game with a Nedney kick. Teh INT was very reminiscent of how he has played in the past.

So until.. he wins one or four like this, I will continue to be paranoid when he is driving to win with little time left..

Hope he has as good a 4 quarters this week as the 2 he just had..

GO NINERS!!!

Well I hope this can take away a little of your paranoia-or give you some confidence in Alex:

S.Hill hasn't thrown for more than 2td's in a FULL game all year and Alex threw 3 in the half.

He also had more 1st downs in a half than Hill has had in a FULL game all year as well if I'm not mistaken.

Man the koolaid is way strong these days aint it?

As for Mr, Kanada; He had two very fair games in 3 years, except the first halves sucked. See, I'm even giving away the 1.5+ half seasons he didn't play.

I will believe it when I see him start and finish a game doing well. I'm not a huge Hill fan and I don't say necessarily keep him in, so ragging me on that non-issue is ahh. well let's just not throw stones.. because you have a glass house bro.

I just know, MS is already feeling the heat, so it's a smart idea for him to start Smith and see what he has. That way MS keeps the blame off the coaching staff, if Smith fails, again or succeeds in this case; for not being able to get plays to the QB, calling real turkey's of games, etc..

It's like this tour I'm supposed to go on pretty soon after lots of talk in the past by promoters, I will believe it when I'm on the jet with my contract, just like; I WILL BELIEVE SMITH CAN REALLY PLAY AFTER HE PROVES IT ON NUMEROUS OCCASIONS. Doesn't that sound smart to you or what? You believe after, one half of good football, right? Not..

After nearly 7 years of this BS, the ups and downs, and everything that has NOT happened; I take his ONE HALF performance as a step in the right direction only. IF he does it for real over the enxt games then fantastic; he actually proves he "get it" and we have what looks to be a fine #2 in Davis..

So, GO NINERS!

[/u]
[ Edited by Bali-Niner on Oct 27, 2009 at 5:45 AM ]
Originally posted by Syxton:

I disagree, I think Alex was thinking that it would be the final play, make it count. Instead if he read the defense, Gore was the obvious choice. The LB that should have picked up Gore out of the backfield got drawn toward the right side of the field and left Gore uncovered. He was calling for it but Smith was looking downfield. Can't say I really blame him though, it is would be hard to dump it off knowing you need 10 yards and you have been having success down the field.

I don't think Alex had time to look at Gore. He would have gotten sack. I do agree if Alex had time Gore would have been the better option.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
The Texans stunted and neither Baas, nor Staley, were able to anchor their feet to stop the penetration. Smith didn't have a chance on that one.

Part of this is bad luck. Heitmann doubled immediately on the undertackle, instead of the NT in this play. If he was doubling on the left side of the line, Smith would have had longer to throw.

Just bad luck.
Or bad oline recognition. It's incumbent upon the oline to know where to double on a given pass play. Terrible oline.
Originally posted by nvchamp9ers:
They were plaaying what is traditonally referred to as the Bucs 10 defense, essentially it is if you throw short you are not getting the first down bc you have 4 guys thats whole job is to not drop deeper than 9 yds and 4 guys that are playing deep in and out. He went to the right guy the coverage was there and his pass was off, he read the defense right though.

Seemed like Morgan was a better choice, even if it doesn't result in a first-down. I'd take 9 yards and the clock stopped over an INT and game over.

It was 4th down

Originally posted by truekingcarlos:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

Just bad luck.
Or bad oline recognition. It's incumbent upon the oline to know where to double on a given pass play. Terrible oline.

Or maybe he's so accustomed to Failo Rachel to his right side so he automatically decided to help there, even though it was Snyder in on the play. When in doubt, blame the new Kwame.
[ Edited by znk916 on Oct 27, 2009 at 7:34 AM ]
Yes, there were better options. At least he didn't throw it away and he tried to make a play...
Originally posted by jdt84_2:

We still had 1 left.

I mean like routes that are around 10-11 yards deep even some slants or something.

they couldn't. there were 3 or 4 guys just standing at the first down. anything that attacked the marker would have been deflected.
They were plaaying what is traditonally referred to as the Bucs 10 defense, essentially it is if you throw short you are not getting the first down bc you have 4 guys thats whole job is to not drop deeper than 9 yds and 4 guys that are playing deep in and out. He went to the right guy the coverage was there and his pass was off, he read the defense right though.

Seemed like Morgan was a better choice, even if it doesn't result in a first-down. I'd take 9 yards and the clock stopped over an INT and game over.

it was 4th down

details, details

LOL
Originally posted by Overkill:

it was 4th down

details, details

LOL

is this the same guy that thought we should of kicked a 67 yard field goal at that point?
Share 49ersWebzone