There are 216 users in the forums

Video of the 4th down INT

Shop Find 49ers gear online
http://www.nfl.com/videos/houston-texans/09000d5d813ad7ce/Texans-seal-win-with-interception

Looks like Smith couldn't step into his throw because of pressure from the left side (thanks Staley and Baas). He was going for VD on the skinny post yet again.

Basically, it wasn't Smith's fault I think.
[ Edited by znk916 on Oct 26, 2009 at 3:34 PM ]
Jesus

Looks like he had Josh Morgan for a clear 1st down at the 45. Looks like Morgan had enough room to run the final three yards for a 1st.

Who knows tho? By the time that Morgan comes into view -- the guy covering him is clearly reacting to the ball that's already left Smith's hands.

In other words -- Morgan may not have been "that" open.

Clearly though -- Alex gave the Texans something to think about defensively.

Hindsight is clearly 20-20 -- but it would have been nice to see some Gore runs mixed into that final drive -- just to keep the Texans on their toes.

I know. I know. Time was an issue. I do understand.
  • B650
  • Veteran
He did have someone wide open though on the right side. I can't put it all on him though. The OL needs to give him more time and if it wasn't for him, we wouldn't even be in the game.

At least we can say that it's just growing pains, not a lack of talent that's the problem. Basically, it can be corrected.
Thanks for the link. It is difficult to tell from that angle, but it could be that Alex was kept from putting more follow-through into his throw. It appears that a little longer ball would have put it within reach of Vernon (?).

Wouldn't that have been "all-time" legendary stuff if Alex threw four 2nd half TDs to win the game? It would be almost Montana-like. Too bad. Anyway, I have felt that the poor kid needed some confidence and some swagger. Maybe this experience is what he needed to unloose his talents. We can hope.
I thought the sun may have blinded the WRs but,then again, Eugene Wilson didn't have a problem picking it up.
Yeah, our OL is garbage outside of Staley and Heitman. We need to replace Baas and Chilo. He didn't get to step into the throw.
left side of the OL collapsed. Not enough time.
Originally posted by B650:
He did have someone wide open though on the right side. I can't put it all on him though. The OL needs to give him more time and if it wasn't for him, we wouldn't even be in the game.

At least we can say that it's just growing pains, not a lack of talent that's the problem. Basically, it can be corrected.

Yeah, I need the OL must gave him more times.. it is very important that give him the more times when he can threw it and can make it.
They were plaaying what is traditonally referred to as the Bucs 10 defense, essentially it is if you throw short you are not getting the first down bc you have 4 guys thats whole job is to not drop deeper than 9 yds and 4 guys that are playing deep in and out. He went to the right guy the coverage was there and his pass was off, he read the defense right though.
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BuZzB28:

Yeah, I need the OL must gave him more times.. it is very important that give him the more times when he can threw it and can make it.

Its too bad the playcalling took forever to get to Smith.
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by nvchamp9ers:
They were plaaying what is traditonally referred to as the Bucs 10 defense, essentially it is if you throw short you are not getting the first down bc you have 4 guys thats whole job is to not drop deeper than 9 yds and 4 guys that are playing deep in and out. He went to the right guy the coverage was there and his pass was off, he read the defense right though.

Seemed like Morgan was a better choice, even if it doesn't result in a first-down. I'd take 9 yards and the clock stopped over an INT and game over.

U are the 1 poster on this board that really knows football. I know u are busy with coaching your own team, but try to post more often if you can.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
At a different point in the game he prob woulda escaped the pocket but he had to make a play. Not his fault.

Seemed like Morgan was a better choice, even if it doesn't result in a first-down. I'd take 9 yards and the clock stopped over an INT and game over.

it was 4th down
Share 49ersWebzone