Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by maximill15:
Anyone who thinks scott should be fired, should be shot! This guy with his scouts is one of the best in the league! THis last draft was probably our best yet! rounds 1-5 were simply amazing! Chilo WILL pan out! IMO there have only been 2 bad picks, b williams and Alex smith! Everything else has been pretty darn good! I really don't need to state the obvious for players like gore, vd, staley, PATRICK WILLIS! But also the gems he has found...Payrs, t brown, nate davis (future qb of this team) scott mcklintop (will be on this team for a LONG time) Goldson, josh morgan. Players he has found in the end of the draft that are making this team and starting!! So yeah maybe he missed brandon marshall and took b williams, but overall, we are in great salary cap position we have 2 draft picks in the 1st rd and luckily none of you clowns who want him fired will be heard cause everyone in the 9ers organization loves him!!

You lost all credibility with me on this one.

care to explain?

2nd fewest yards MOST penalties (some game altering) by a WR. A WR with penalties....

vd had 2 false starts in the last game is he a bust? Those are fixable issues! This ENTIRE team is making bonehead plays. Lets get back to the TOPIC, Scott drafted a TALENTED WR who is STARTING in the what? 6th rd??? YEAH EXCELLENT PICK!

VD LEADS THE LEAGUE in TDs. How many TDs does Morgan have? 1 Gore has more catches and more yards than the "talented WR" was was just teaching a rook to take his job. He's played this season like a 6th round pick.

VD did little in his first 2 seasons, did you call him a bust?? Or did you give him all the time in the world because he's a 1st rd pick?? Gore leads the team in receptions every year, as he should cause he is a play maker and has great vision! Morgan had a bad game last week, but overall possesses great speed, can block in the run game and knows how to get open! I'll be willing to bet that he will be on this team and STARTING for years! But what you fail to answer and continue to ignore is that this guy was and has been starting and making plays since last season! I really don't go off of stats like you do...

Okay dude. You're starting to crack me up. I couldn't even read the rest. Morgan had one bad game last week and has great speed?

Josh Morgan: Poster boy for the McCloughan era!

The team has a strong head coach with a keen sense of his players and a unique ability to motivate. The team has hit on some draft choices: Frank Gore, Patrick Willis, Vernon Davis, Michael Crabtree, Josh Morgan, Dashon Goldson, Tarell Brown, Joe Staley, and yes, maybe even Alex Smith and they have others with exciting potential such as Nate Davis.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/ninerinsider/detail?blogid=45&entry_id=51404

think what you want, but just know your opinion is a minority on the issue of how we have drafted!

Please .... don't get me started.....

The reality is that the 2009 season is unfolding a lot like the lousy ones that preceded it. The 49ers typically have begun well, given hope that this could be the year they recapture the NFC West and then tumbled into an extended skid that ends all playoff aspirations and forces fans to think ahead to the following season.

Singletary hasn't lost hope yet. But he is on the precipice of a midseason collapse similar to the ones Dennis Erickson and Mike Nolan had before him. At 3-5, the 49ers find themselves searching for an offensive identity and trailing the Cardinals by two games in the division.

Their grade through the first half of the season? A shaky C-.

http://www.sacbee.com/sf49ers/story/2316166.html?mi_rss=49ers

Well, I felt my heart palpitating from sheer joy. I never realized a record of 3-5 was a good thing. And I thought about the Niners’ marketing campaign slapped on buses and billboards, Singletary saying, “Don’t tell me. Show me.” And I thought he was doing a ton of telling. But mostly I was impressed how good he feels about “the guys.”

So I said his words were motivating but we were mere writers and it’s the players who count. I asked how he could be sure his players could turn it around. He eyeballed me, surprised a mere writer put him on the spot.

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20091109/sports/911099927

I could continue with articles. Because Kevin Lynch feels optimistic this week doesn't mean he will next. He's a known flip-flopper on this topic. He was a central critic for years.

Sorry but you can't convince me that Scotty is doing a good job, and no I'm not in the minority on this opinion. And even if everyone thought differently, I'm not convinced by what a "majority" might think. I'll just continue to let the results speak for themselves:

Wins and Losses.

young players make mistakes! This team is young, esp on offense! they are going to run the wrong routes, false start, drop balls, throw picks. The fact that we are having an argument about a 6th rd pick who has started on a team that has plenty of talent at the position reinforces my opinion that it was a good draft pick!
McCloughan doesn't make it past this season and he shouldn't.

Jed doesn't have the balls to fire him and wouldn't know where to go from there if he did.
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanFranAddic:
McCloughan doesn't make it past this season and he shouldn't.

Jed doesn't have the balls to fire him and wouldn't know where to go from there if he did.

Exactly, baby York has no balls.
Originally posted by MBniner:
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by Bejaard49er:
I see through out the zone a lot of individuals complaining about McCloughlan and since I was bored I thought I would break down the late great Bill Walsh draft record and Seifert first draft. In Walsh day the NFL had 12 rounds unlike today with 7 rounds.

11 Picks
6 cut
Walsh first pick as 49er coach James Owen, WR, played 2 years and cut, bust
3rd Pick Joe Montana HOF
10th Pick Dwight Clark today would be an FA pick up
3 other picksTom Seaborn, Phil Francis, cut after 1 and 2 years

11 Picks
4 cut
1st round Earl Cooper did not meet first round expectation moved to TE from RB
1st round Jim Stucky DE in 6 season had 7.5 sacks did not meet expectations
2nd round Keena Turner very good LB played 10 years
Puki, Churchman, Hoge lasted 2 seasons and cut

11 Picks
3 cut
1st Round Ronnie Lott HOF
John Harty, Eric Wright, Carlton Williamson all went on to have good careers Wright played 9 years made the pro bowl

9 picks
3 cut
1st round pick William “Bubba” Paris LT also known as "Highway 77" (fastest way to the QB was through Paris) by fans played 8 years . IMO a bust others would disagree.
Ron Ferrari and Dana McLemore played 5 seasons of journeyman football
Newton Williams and Vince Williams are 2nd and 3rd picks in 82 lasted 3 games and 6 games

8 picks
3 cuts
2nd round and 1st pick Roger Craig
3rd round 2nd pick Blanchard Montgomery 2 years and cut
Tom Holmoe and Riki Ellison played 6 years Ellison was a good LB, Jesse Sapolu

9 picks
3 cut
1st round Todd Shell, LB 4 season only played 21 games out of possible 64, bust
2nd -5th round John Frank, Guy McIntyre, Michael Carter, Jeff Fuller all had very good careers with the 49ers Carter made the pro bowl several times, fuller until his injury was becoming a pro bowl safety McIntyre played 12 seasons on the OL.

6 picks
4 cut
1st round Jerry Rice HOF
5th round Bruce Collie T 5 years journeyman player

1986 – Many consider this draft one of the greatest in NFL history
14 picks
5 cut
1st pick 2nd round Larry Roberts played 8 seasons however missed an avg 8 games per season, bust
Round 3-6, Tom Rathman , John Taylor, Tim McKyer, Charles Haley, Steve Wallace, Kevin f*gan, and Don Griffin. Every one made the pro bowl minimum once if not multiple times. McKyer and Griffin are two of the most under rated cover corners of all time because they didn’t trash talk or try to bring attention to themselves they just played.

10 picks
8 cut
1st round Terrence Flagler played 3 seasons total of 21 games, bust
1st round Harris Barton an anchor on the OL for 9 years made several pro bowls

1988 – Walsh last draft
10 picks
5 cut
1st pick 2nd round Daniel Stubbs played 2 years, cut, bust
Pierce Holt, Bill Romanowski played 5 & 6 years for the niners were avg to good players
Chet Brooks played 3 years and cut

1989 Siefert first draft
11 picks
5 cut
1st round pick Keith DeLong did not meet 1st round expectations played 5 years
2nd round Wesley Walls TE, sat on bench behind Jones for 4 years went on to pro bowl career with NO and Carolina
MiKe Barber, Keith Henderson, and Steve Hendrickson lasted from 3 years to just 8 games then cut

I went through this exercise to see how Walsh and Seifert (in his first draft) did. Walsh was a master at moving around in the draft. He salvaged the 79 draft by getting Montana, his 81, 84 & 86 drafts were very good to incredible and in 85 he got Rice. His 80, 82, 83 (Craig the exception), 87, 88 drafts sucked. When it came to his first pick in each draft 6 of his 10 picks were either a complete bust or did not meet 1st round expectation 2 picks Jerry Rice and Ronnie Lott met 1st round expectation. Roger Craig should be HOF and Paris doing an avg job at best even though I consider him a bust did not include him as one of my 6 bust.

Seifert and Mooch did not do very well with their 1st picks as well From ’89-99 they combined for 6 1st round/pick bust with such notables as Reggie McGrew, Jim Drunkenmiller, J.J. Stokes, Israel Ifeanyi, Todd Kelly and Dexter Carter. They cut Ted Washington after 3 season who went on to become a 5 time pro bowl NT. Also let McQuarters go after 3 who has played 9 years in the NFL so far. There 1st round selections of Stubblefield, Young, and Watters did meet 1st round expectations. Many think Watters should be considered for the HOF.

Over all McCloughlan has picked probably 1 future HOF so far in Patrick Willis, Vernon Davis is beginning to meet 1st round expectation. I will wait 3-4 more years on Crabtree, however for only playing 3 games his upside is HUGE. Players such as Gore, Brown, Lewis, Staley, and Walker, (I know I am missing several players) are doing well. Over all with only getting 7 picks vs. 12 picks like Walsh had I cannot complain about McCloughlan and the personnel he has selected. If I had one complaint he has done a poor job of selecting OL.

Conclusion even Bill Walsh who did a great job through the draft was not even right 50% of the time with his 1st pick. Most of the time half the players drafted got cut and the majority were avg., journeyman players who lasted around 5 years before moving on or being cut. IMO we need to give McCloughlan a break and actually consider the fact he has done an ok job.

This post should be pinned. Noobs should be forced to read it before they are allowed to post.

Something is obviously not working, and McCloughlan is a big part of the problem. Excuses, excuses excuses. We're 3-5, and I see the same trend developing as the previous 4 years. Again, something is not working, right? Please, at the very least, admit that. And the finger should be squarely pointed at him for picking the wrong players, wrong coach, wrong administrative personnel, whatever. It's just not working.

Read
Fire McClueless I told you guys since last year he ain't worth a crap!
I'll tell you what's the major problem with McCloughan: He has had the equivalent of six drafts (considering his extra picks) and lots of cap money to spend, much of which he hasn't spent.

Our OL should have been the first slid thing built. And he tried: A 1st round pick (Staley), 2 second round picks (Baas and Rachel), a third round pick (Snyder) and at least 4 FA signings (Jennings, Smith, Sims, Pashos). AND WHAT DOES HE HAVE TO SHOW FOR IT? He has a blind spot in this area. We cannot afford to suffer from his inablilties in this area any longer.

Oh, and by the wy, we have had five years to find an eplosive return man. How has he done in this area?
Fire McClueless! He blows!
If you think about it carefully, he isn't even responsible for acquiring the best player on our team.

• Veteran
Thanks for trying to lighten the mood, but the reality is the team needs to get rid of McCloughan and replace him with someone from a winning organization. I wouldn't mind demoting McCloughan to head of scouting, but the player selection should be with another GM with a better eye for football talent and understands that he'll need to be a little more heavy handed with his rookie coach about his approach.
Two things I HATE about McCloguhan as a GM:

1 - This obssession with big players (really, Freud would be embarassed). As a result we have guards that look like tarzan and play like Jane and CBs that can't keep up with speedy WRs.

2 - His whole "guards are a dime a dozen" philosophy. Guess what? Now your OL is getting blown up in the middle. Well done!

• Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
I think McCloughan is an excellent Pro Personnel Director for the 49ers. He watches more player film I bet than any other GM in football, and he makes solid free agent and draft decisions. The problem is, I think bumping him up to GM put him in an area he has no expertise in. He is out of his element general managing in the same way that Singletary is out of his element head coaching. That gives us two fatal flaws in the most important aspects of our team management structure.
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Shaj:
I think McCloughan is an excellent Pro Personnel Director for the 49ers. He watches more player film I bet than any other GM in football, and he makes solid free agent and draft decisions. The problem is, I think bumping him up to GM put him in an area he has no expertise in. He is out of his element general managing in the same way that Singletary is out of his element head coaching. That gives us two fatal flaws in the most important aspects of our team management structure.

How do you explain his 2008 draft?
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 190836:
Originally posted by Shaj:

How do you explain his 2008 draft?

When I said "excellent", I meant his discipline and attention to watching film. I was careful to characterize his results as "Solid", which I think is fair. He's had big hits (Willis, Gore, hopefully Crabtree), and big misses (BALMER, SMITH, Rachel?, etc) as well. Don't forget, the late Bill Walsh selected that rotten DT with our first round pick when he was our GM most recently. Can't remember his name. Even the great ones have major misses.
Originally posted by B650:

I like Morgan as well, but I think he's too inconsistent. I think Jason Hill runs better routes, is faster, and has better hands. He should be starting alongside Crabtree.

Moving forward (a common phrase around here), I think our top 3 WRs should be Crabtree, Hill, and Morgan. This would be an excellent set of WRs..

I like this idea. Especially if Morgan sticks as our return guy.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
This mother f**ker needs to be fired ASAP. Bring in Holmgren to run the show, and clean house.
Share 49ersWebzone