LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 247 users in the forums

Smith Scramble

Shop Find 49ers gear online
i was wondering if anyone had a clip of the play where Smith took the snap and evaded a couple of defenders then ran for the first down...i want to see it again...it isn't in any of the Highlights that i have seen

o and Smith's mobility is the reason that i have always liked him more then Hill....Smith can escape the pressure...Hill can not
[ Edited by 49ers18 on Oct 25, 2009 at 10:56 PM ]
Bump
  • skaw
  • Info N/A
Alex looks different in his scrambling ability and strategy now than he did 2 years ago. Take, for example, his scramble for a TD vs Seattle in 2006 (skip to 0:50 of this video). You will notice that his 'bootleg' scramble actually takes him back 5 further yards than he needs to go and lets him barely beat the DB. If you look at film from 2006, you will notice that when he is forced out of the pocket to either left or right side, he doesn't move sideways, he actually moves backwards.

This past Sunday, although I did not see the same speed he is probably capable of, I noticed his pocket movement and awareness was markedly improved and that when he scrambled outside the pocket, he actually moved to the right, rather than float right but backwards.

I think if he spends some time with the running backs coach, his threat to run with the ball will add another element that this offense can utilize down the line. Maybe a chat with Steve Young wouldn't hurt either. After all, if Alex can do this then the sky is the limit!
Originally posted by skaw:
Alex looks different in his scrambling ability and strategy now than he did 2 years ago. Take, for example, his scramble for a TD vs Seattle in 2006 (skip to 0:50 of this video). You will notice that his 'bootleg' scramble actually takes him back 5 further yards than he needs to go and lets him barely beat the DB. If you look at film from 2006, you will notice that when he is forced out of the pocket to either left or right side, he doesn't move sideways, he actually moves backwards.

This past Sunday, although I did not see the same speed he is probably capable of, I noticed his pocket movement and awareness was markedly improved and that when he scrambled outside the pocket, he actually moved to the right, rather than float right but backwards.

I think if he spends some time with the running backs coach, his threat to run with the ball will add another element that this offense can utilize down the line. Maybe a chat with Steve Young wouldn't hurt either. After all, if Alex can do this then the sky is the limit!

I can't wait to hear Steve's take on Alex.

I fully expect some backpedalling. Because I thought that Steve unduly criticized Alex. Especially after what Steve had gone through right up through that season. His career is not all that remarkably different that Alex's.

Well except for the awards and Championships.

~Ceadder
[ Edited by Ceadderman on Oct 27, 2009 at 2:19 AM ]
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by skaw:

I can't wait to hear Steve's take on Alex.

I fully expect some backpedalling. Because I thought that Steve unduly criticized Alex. Especially after what Steve had gone through right up through that season. His career is not all that remarkably different that Alex's.

Well except for the awards and Championships.

~Ceadder

I don't think he needs to backpedal until Alex does it for a while. Don't get me wrong I am 100% behind him, but over the last few years I have learned to be a little more cautious in my expectations.

Beat the Colts and I will be buying my Superbowl tickets though!
He looked slow on that one play. Didn't he run a 4.7?
Originally posted by jta854:

Yes around that. That's not terribly slow for a QB. Some run like 4.9, 5.0, or even 5.1. It's certainly not in Michael Vick territory. It's also not like Vince Young. But it's not terribly slow for a 6'4" QB. There are much more immobile QB's than Alex Smith.
I was thinking he looked slower than normal also.. but he did avoid about 3-5 sacks once he came into the game. And he didnt step up into sacks like hill does.
it did kind of look like a guy who didn't realize he had gained a lot of weight, and when out and tried to do something he could do years ago...but, it wasn't all that bad...hahaa....

i'm sure they'll work on that. Honestly, alex's jersey is huge, I know that's weird...but, it almost makes him look nerdy or wimpy out there w/ a huge jersey on...
I liked what I seen & hope he can continue it.

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

Yes around that. That's not terribly slow for a QB. Some run like 4.9, 5.0, or even 5.1. It's certainly not in Michael Vick territory. It's also not like Vince Young. But it's not terribly slow for a 6'4" QB. There are much more immobile QB's than Alex Smith.

**cough cough** shaun hill **cough cough**
Originally posted by GoldenIowa49er:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

**cough cough** shaun hill **cough cough**

True dat.

~Ceadder
http://www.nfl.com/videos/san-francisco-49ers/09000d5d813c07c8/Billick-s-thoughts

42 second mark.

On that video Billick gives his thoughts on the play of Smith.

-9fA
i think alex is one of the most mobile qb's in the game....and he is also pretty fast, definitely one of the faster ones in he league. This will be an asset, like always b/c our OL is so bad that he will have to run quite a bit
Originally posted by 49ers18:
i was wondering if anyone had a clip of the play where Smith took the snap and evaded a couple of defenders then ran for the first down...i want to see it again...it isn't in any of the Highlights that i have seen

o and Smith's mobility is the reason that i have always liked him more then Hill....Smith can escape the pressure...Hill can not

When you watch it notice how badly Sims gets burnt on the play. It is so bad that he tries to hold him after but can't because he is too far ahead of him.
Share 49ersWebzone