LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 334 users in the forums

Alex Smith Bandwagon

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I wonder if Sing saw "magic" in Smith today.
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
Originally posted by Psinex:
If Smith can become the quarterback he was always meant to be, we can draft a new offensive line to make him and our rushing game even better. We should also draft or put a speedy burner receiver in there to return kickoffs and punts. Once Bruce retires, we'll have a receiver set that looks like Michael Crabtree, Josh Morgan, Brandon Jones and Jason Hill. I like the sound of that. We really need to lock up Vernon before he hits free agency.

Or better yet a speedy running back like CJ Spiller.

Because that will resolve our oline woes.
Anybody still want Hill at QB? I was in favor of putting Alex Smith in at some point this season if the offense continued to struggle, but I wasn't expecting it this soon. Wow!

At this point, is there really anyone who seriously thinks Smith shouldn't be starting for the 49ers this season? The Texans have a porous defense, and Smith was able to exploit it, where Hill struggled because they took away all of the underneath stuff. That's all Hill can do: dink and dunk and methodically move the ball... once in a while.

I liked the 3WR sets with Bruce, Crabtree, and Morgan along with Vernon with Gore in the backfield. That's the set we should have on the field at least 50% of the time IMO.

Way to go, Alex!
Originally posted by boomer49er:
If Alex keeps going there is certainly no reason to draft a QB. Now 3 TDs in a half isn't going to happen week in and week out, but you guys know what I'm saying.

Right now our draft needs are on the offensive line and we need a game breaking offensive/special teams skill player. A guy that we can get on the field in many ways and get the ball to. He needs to be a return man, RB, slot receiver, ect.

I actually agree. Lets see how the rest of the season plays out, but if he plays anything at all like he did today, then we have more important needs finally. I wouldn't be upset if we used both 1st round picks on OL. I think our biggest needs are OL, OLB, FS/SS, then maybe a change of pace back/return man. If Alex doesn't play well, we better put QB at the top of the list.
I've wanted a QB change as we've seen how limited we are with Hill and how defenses are able to so effectively stop us. I was happy when Alex came out onto the field, if for nothing more than making the switch. That said, I did not expect him to play as well as he did, which, considering the circumstances, was very impressive. Granted, HOU is poor vs. the pass and maybe wasn't prepared for Smith, but he looked very good in all facets of the game--completely unlike how I remember him.

Throws were on the money and accurate. The pick was on a desperation heave so no biggie. Evaded the pass rush well and the OL seemed to play better with Smith back there. Good pocket presence and decision making, too. There's no way we make it a game with Hill in there. It's too bad we came up short, but I haven't felt this good about the direction of the team all season, as our wins came in spite of poor QB play. Hopefully Alex can keep it up for the rest of the season.
  • marls
  • Veteran
'bout time!
Originally posted by PTulini:
Plummer also gave props to QB Coach Mike Johnson. He said Smith's dropbacks and ability to read his progressions looks much faster. He said Mike Johnson has been working with Alex all off-season. I know its early, but Plummer also said he thinks Alex looked even better than at any point during that 2006 season with Norv Turner.

We should praise QB coach Mike Johnson too.
Originally posted by BHulman:
Originally posted by crzy:
1 half of football doesn't wipe out four years of mediocre play.

We'll just have to wait and see.

That must have been hard for you.

I never was off - I have always maintained that Alex will be a good QB not a great QB but a good one - His first 3 years (a majority of it played with a bum Shoulder) can be placed squarely on Mike Nowin's mediocre coaching - Let's be clear Alex Smith has 3 times the talent Shaun Hill does.

Shaun Hill was undrafted for a reason - he didn't play a snap in the NFL for the first 5 years for a reason - Alex was drafted to high - Aaron Rogers is a better QB I totally believe/agree with that - but he is still a first round talent who can make plays.

Shaun Hill can't even throw a 20 yard pass with any accuracy.

1 game isn't everthing that is true but this one half was batter than any GAME Shaun Hill has mustered in his crap ass career with the 49ers and that is saying something.
Originally posted by BHulman:

That must have been hard for you.

He's absolutely right though.
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
I wonder if Sing saw "magic" in Smith today.

3 Straight TD drives.
200+ yards and 3 TDs in one half.
Converting on crucial third downs.

I wonder.. if that's enough "magic" -- Or if we're going back to watching wobbly throws with zero precision and velocity..

Plummer also gave props to QB Coach Mike Johnson. He said Smith's dropbacks and ability to read his progressions looks much faster. He said Mike Johnson has been working with Alex all off-season. I know its early, but Plummer also said he thinks Alex looked even better than at any point during that 2006 season with Norv Turner.

I saw Alex conferring with Mike Johnson shortly after he got into the game. Perhaps Johnson is a great mentor to Alex, if he's responsible for his improved play. And then, just maybe, Johnson will take over for Raye.
I think alot of us are jumping the gun. trying to be a realist not a downer. one half a football isnt gonna erase 4 years of horrible play in my mind. what I saw this game was encouraging but im gonna stay in a wait and see mode and not get my hopes up.

I think there's a strong chance of MJ becoming our new OC.

nm he beat me to it.
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
Originally posted by Psinex:
If Smith can become the quarterback he was always meant to be, we can draft a new offensive line to make him and our rushing game even better. We should also draft or put a speedy burner receiver in there to return kickoffs and punts. Once Bruce retires, we'll have a receiver set that looks like Michael Crabtree, Josh Morgan, Brandon Jones and Jason Hill. I like the sound of that. We really need to lock up Vernon before he hits free agency.

Or better yet a speedy running back like CJ Spiller.

Because that will resolve our oline woes.

we have two first rounders dude.
Share 49ersWebzone