LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 272 users in the forums

Alex Smith Bandwagon

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Originally posted by BHulman:
Originally posted by crzy:
1 half of football doesn't wipe out four years of mediocre play.

We'll just have to wait and see.

That must have been hard for you.

He's absolutely right though.

I wasn't aware that Smith has made 64 starts. Oh wait.. He only has 32. That's two years of football altogether. The two big chunks of it being a terrible (and expectedly bad) rookie season, and then an incredibly dramatic improvement in his 2nd season where he took every snap. Today he had a fantastic day. Each QB had a half. Equal portions to play in. Who had the better one?
Originally posted by Psinex:
Originally posted by PTulini:
Originally posted by PTulini:
Plummer also gave props to QB Coach Mike Johnson. He said Smith's dropbacks and ability to read his progressions looks much faster. He said Mike Johnson has been working with Alex all off-season. I know its early, but Plummer also said he thinks Alex looked even better than at any point during that 2006 season with Norv Turner.

We should praise QB coach Mike Johnson too.

I saw Alex conferring with Mike Johnson shortly after he got into the game. Perhaps Johnson is a great mentor to Alex, if he's responsible for his improved play. And then, just maybe, Johnson will take over for Raye.

johnson might of have just saved alex's career. i hope alex turns out to be not only good but a great qb dude has the ability and now has talent surrounding him he just has to be consistent and keep getting better
Originally posted by niner_empire:
I think alot of us are jumping the gun. trying to be a realist not a downer. one half a football isnt gonna erase 4 years of horrible play in my mind. what I saw this game was encouraging but im gonna stay in a wait and see mode and not get my hopes up.

Where do you get 4 years of horrible play? He's played about 2 seasons worth of football. The entire team was pretty bad during the years he actually played.

Regardless, we've now seen what he can do compared to S. Hill on the same day, against the same defense, with the same weapons. Whether Smith is the future or not, we're absolutely better off with him at QB than Hill.
It's the olines fault, Hill needs to stay in there next week. Can't be jumping the gun with Smith.
Originally posted by truekingcarlos:
It's the olines fault, Hill needs to stay in there next week. Can't be jumping the gun with Smith.

Are you fricking kidding - Just an FYI Alex had the same line Hill did - get a grip that the scrub game manager experiment is thankfully OVER. That is if Singletary is man enough to admit he was wrong in his talent evaluation.
  • B650
  • Veteran

Dumbest post I have ever read.
  • Pogity
  • Info N/A

I wouldn't disagree if Sing decides to do this next week. But if we fall behind again behind another inept Offensive perfomance, I expect the hook sooner in the game. We can't fall 3 TDs behind the Colts, they will keep scoring.
Originally posted by Sugatis:

Are you fricking kidding - Just an FYI Alex had the same line Hill did - get a grip that the scrub game manager experiment is thankfully OVER. That is if Singletary is man enough to admit he was wrong in his talent evaluation.
Dude, we need Trent Dilfer to play for us again, he's the key to a successful season. Alex is a loser scrub!/ ends impersonation of ZRF80
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

I wasn't aware that Smith has made 64 starts. Oh wait.. He only has 32. That's two years of football altogether. The two big chunks of it being a terrible (and expectedly bad) rookie season, and then an incredibly dramatic improvement in his 2nd season where he took every snap. Today he had a fantastic day. Each QB had a half. Equal portions to play in. Who had the better one?

You forgot to include the games he played with an injured shoulder.........and a large group of people somehow expected him to perform

The truth is, we don't really know what we have in Smith yet. It's almost like he's still a rookie. Minus his injured games and rookie year, I remember him being pretty accurate...his other dimensions needed some work but he was improving.

Today was an awesome glimpse into what we might have with Smith.

And what we might have with Smith, is better than what we know we have with Hill. Smith can do everything Hill can, with the possibility of doing more. Smith wins.
Originally posted by B650:

Even though the oline does take a lot of blame, you can't ignore Smith's performance today, nobody can, he played like an elite QB today.

I agree with OTC's sentiment. 32 starts, about 1/2 as a rookie. That's not 4 years of play, nor is it fair to call that body of work "mediocre."

AS looked good today. Good. As for tomorrow or the next day, we will "just have to wait and see."

B6 your right I should have just left it at that - This was just sad.
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Sugatis:

Dude, we need Trent Dilfer to play for us again, he's the key to a successful season. Alex is a loser scrub!/ ends impersonation of ZRF80

That explains it. OK, we're cool again.

Stop making sense...this is Niner Talk!
Share 49ersWebzone