LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 232 users in the forums

Player Development Under Singletary

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Josh Mcdaniels turns the leagues worst D into the leagues best. He takes an avg to below avg QB and has him playing well.
MIA and NYJ turn crap passing teams into gold.
Singletary gets our players playing faster and harder through motivation alone. There's still something missing and that's development of players who don't have that immediate impact talent.
I still feel that our assintant coaching, aside from Manusky, need to be overhauled.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Nolan turns the leagues worst D into the leagues best. McDaniels takes an avg to below avg QB and has him playing well.
Singletary gets our players playing faster and harder through motivation alone. There's still something missing and that's development of players who don't have that immediate impact talent.
I still feel that our assintant coaching, aside from Manusky, need to be overhauled.

Fixed.

-9fA
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Nolan turns the leagues worst D into the leagues best. McDaniels takes an avg to below avg QB and has him playing well.

Fixed.

-9fA

either way, teams have been able to succeed quickly from being in the same situation we have been for the past six years. Season is still early but the on field production of plaers under pretty much the same assistants have not improved. Just look at Justin Smiley. Hewas not playing anywhere near this level when on our team.
This is why our front office needs an elite Parcells-like character to gut the current assistant coaching positions (and instill a higher quality of field managers), cause I honestly doubt Scot or Sing have the right gauge to fill those questionable spots.

Holmgren needs to return to reality, accept that his coaching days are finished, and come home and fix up the franchise which raised him. Just having somebody like M.H. in the front office alone would make me feel more confident in this team's future success.

Fixed.

-9fA

either way, teams have been able to succeed quickly from being in the same situation we have been for the past six years. Season is still early but the on field production of plaers under pretty much the same assistants have not improved. Just look at Justin Smiley. Hewas not playing anywhere near this level when on our team.

I think Tomsula has done an excellent job with the defensive line.

The assistants who i think are under-performing: Foerster and Sullivan.

-9fA
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
This is why our front office needs an elite Parcells-like character to gut the current assistant coaching positions (and instill a higher quality of field managers), cause I honestly doubt Scot or Sing have the right gauge to fill those questionable spots.

Holmgren needs to return to reality, accept that his coaching days are finished, and come home and fix up the franchise which raised him. Just having somebody like M.H. in the front office alone would make me feel more confident in this team's future success.

Yeah, i wonder where are all those people who were jealous that Kansas City got Pioli.

-9fA

Fixed.

-9fA

I think Tomsula has done an excellent job with the defensive line.

The assistants who i think are under-performing: Foerster and Sullivan.

-9fA

Those two coaches are definetly under-performing for this team & need to go.
Tomsula and Manusky are good I would keep both of them. I definitley would make a change with Sully and Forester and I may even consider making a change at our QB coach. I heard good things about him in the offseason but fail to see anything that shows me signs of improvement atthe QB position, in fact I actually think the QBs have regressed.
Let's not make this a general manager issue. I'm talking about after the players are brought in. Can't we teach Balmer how to do one to perfection and use him for that purpose for the meantime? Can't we find a way to use Jason Hill's combine speed. Was there absolutely no way we were able to use the athleticism Sheets does posses rather than hinder ourselves with his lack of technical or playbook knowledge? I'm getting sick and tired of not using players because they haven't learned the entire dictionary of football unless they are obviously blue chip talents. Why are we trying to complete more passes to a guy like coffee when we have Sheets or Spurlock?

There's is something really missing in our assistants and there has been totally something missing in our head coaches offensive knowledge to be able to notice some of these assintant just are not good. It's been five years now and we still can't block or find guys with speed to catch the ball?
It seems like a bunch of different teams are making superstars out of unknown players and we have been trying to get a superstar for years and haven't gotten s**t. Besides Willis/Gore we haven't done anything, not developed a single WR, a pass rusher etc..if you want to include Staley with Gore/Willis that's fine, but I don't see him up there yet with Willis/Gore..lets face it he's not a pro bowler..could he be? Of course..but not yet...

[ Edited by BirdmanJr on Oct 16, 2009 at 10:44:57 ]

• 49erFrank
  • Info N/A
Josh Mcdaniels turns the leagues worst D into the leagues best. He takes an avg to below avg QB and has him playing well.

those other teams have great offensive lines, we don't
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Let's not make this a general manager issue. I'm talking about after the players are brought in. Can't we teach Balmer how to do one to perfection and use him for that purpose for the meantime? Can't we find a way to use Jason Hill's combine speed. Was there absolutely no way we were able to use the athleticism Sheets does posses rather than hinder ourselves with his lack of technical or playbook knowledge? I'm getting sick and tired of not using players because they haven't learned the entire dictionary of football unless they are obviously blue chip talents. Why are we trying to complete more passes to a guy like coffee when we have Sheets or Spurlock?

There's is something really missing in our assistants and there has been totally something missing in our head coaches offensive knowledge to be able to notice some of these assintant just are not good. It's been five years now and we still can't block or find guys with speed to catch the ball?

Joe,

This is what I was telling you and given what others had said about Forester and what we know of Raye, I'm not surprised by where we are. I guess if I'm looking for offensive assistants, I find those coaches on teams that have successful offenses. Why didn't we grab assistants from Miami, New Orleans or even Philadelphia. You can't stop an OL coach, a offensive quality control guy or a QB coach from interviewing at a coordinator level. It seems to me Singletary was left alone to decide on a OC and other assistants. Every offensive coach is a Nolan holdover. Warhop was the only change, but Forester was a Nolan hire. Essentially nothing has changed with this offense other than coordinator for the past 5 seasons. It's painfully obvious position coaching is in need of serious overhaul on offense.

I now agree with our OL coach. Almost all linemen have gotten worse. 5 years is now enough sample size to point the finger directly at our player developers.

People can say, well Morgan was a suprise or this post 4th rounder was a surprise. Well, them being a surprise is all credit to McCloughan. Them NOT getting better is all on our coaches. Seriously, have any of these "surprises" gotten better? The only aspect of them getting better, if at all, that I have seen is the natural progression through experience, NOT coaching. I don't see Manny using more pass rushing moves.
I now agree with our OL coach. Almost all linemen have gotten worse. 5 years is now enough sample size to point the finger directly at our player developers.

People can say, well Morgan was a suprise or this post 4th rounder was a surprise. Well, them being a surprise is all credit to McCloughan. Them NOT getting better is all on our coaches. Seriously, have any of these "surprises" gotten better? The only aspect of them getting better, if at all, that I have seen is the natural progression through experience, NOT coaching. I don't see Manny using more pass rushing moves.

I'll agree with you there. We are 5 game into the season and we already beginning to see a few disappointments in Morgan and Rachal just to name a few.

They both had promising rookie years, and it was even reported that Morgan had a great camp but that play has certainly not carried over to this season.

-9fA

You actually giving McDaniels credit for Denver's improved D? He has always been an offense guy, the only right move he made was to hire Nolan and leave the D to him.

[ Edited by kronik on Oct 16, 2009 at 13:58:14 ]

I'll agree with you there. We are 5 game into the season and we already beginning to see a few disappointments in Morgan and Rachal just to name a few.

They both had promising rookie years, and it was even reported that Morgan had a great camp but that play has certainly not carried over to this season.

-9fA

9fa, it is hard to look good as a wide out when you have a qb that would rather dump the ball off to a back than get you the ball.
Share 49ersWebzone