Originally posted by Squirrel:
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
After one bad game by Hill and his 1st loss at home I don't understand why everyone wants Singletary to bench Hill. Most of you people want Alex Smith to come in but what about all the bad years Smith gave us and Hill has ONE bad game and you guys want him benched.

One bad game, are you kidding? Every game for Hill is a bad game. He mananges one drive a game that results in points and all the Hill lovers think he is clutch. He is nothing more than a pie chucking, bar league QB, that has no business being a starter on an NFL team.

Oh yeah and i forgot Smith has been Great every game he's ever played in...the only good game Smith ever had was the one against the Seahawks when we came back and won other than that Smith shouldn't even be in this league

In that case, neither should Hill.

Quit changing the standards for the two quarterbacks. If you're going to judge one by a certain set of criteria, judge the other by the same set.

Hill has had better games than Hill and this guy just simply WINS! at the end of the day that's all that matters right? you can't say the same for smith and this guy was the 1st overall pick

Hill has had better games than Hill? What?

If you're so bent on Hill being the quarterback for this team, then I guess you're happy with the 45-10 beating we took, since that's going to keep happening every time we need a quarterback to throw us to a win.

I'm confident Hill will rebound from this game and have a great game against the texans

A great game? What? Passing for a whopping 180 yards? A nice healthy average of 6.5 yards per pass? Maybe 1 touchdown? Yeah, that's a great game.

I don't understand how anyone can be happy with that. When Smith put up those numbers, people were pissed. Yet, Hill can do it and everyone is happy?

Do you really like Captain Wounded Duck's throws? Do you really think they look good?

Jesus. You people don't expect much from our team.

Oh man, that one wounded duck that hit Morgan in the chest inbetween two defenders for a touchdown...that was really horrible, really embarrassing it wasn't a tight spiral........SHAUN HILL IS A WINNER!!! ALEX SMITH IS NOT!!!!! Smith was a complete crap quarterback and shouldn't even be in the NFL, he would have 10 picks by now and we would be 1-4....if you think Smith is our answer get your head checked, I'm not saying Hill is the third coming but he wins most of his games and should be playing in the short term.

.. Smith protected the ball very well as far as interceptions as he grew as a player -- If you're judging his skewed stats because of the horrendous rookie year, stop. He had a fine second year going and before he got hurt in 2007, he had thrown only one interception.

10 picks? Seriously. Stop.

I think the fact of the matter is, Hill can't do any more than Smith can, and I really don't believe Smith brings us any less than Hill does. I don't doubt for a second that Smith could bring us wins just as well if he were in the games now.

I don't want Hill benched yet, but I wouldn't care at all if he was.
Hill is gonna have to step it up big time these next few weeks if we want to have a good shot at the playoffs. Hope he comes to play.
Originally posted by tohara3:
Hill is gonna have to step it up big time these next few weeks if we want to have a good shot at the playoffs. Hope he comes to play.

he doesn't have to step it up big time....first and foremost we have to block... now I don't expect our lineman to turn into probowlers over night....but they are going to have to work well as a team....and hopefully with Gore back there, our blitz pickups will be better than Sunday... Coffee did a good job in the Rams game, but missed a few blocks in the Falcons game that affected the plays....

but more importantly the coaching needs to improve....they need to step up big time.....they need to have us in formations where Teams are not comfortable blitzing on every play......or on key situations....call plays where we move the pocket (like The Dolphins did on that key 3rd down play...in which the whole pocket moved to the right and Henne did a good job converting it)

Also maybe a couple shovel passes here and there....to Gore when they try to blitz.

I just keep thinking what would happened in the game if Vernon and Shaun were in sync on those quick passes when the Falcons blitz on us....if Vernon cut in he would have had room for some big gains....and I'm sure the Falcons would have backed off a bit.

but yes, I want Shaun to play with in himself and not feel he has to step up...not forcing anything, keep moving the chains....let the defense rest and take off time...

If he pressures himself to feel he needs to step up big time, and the Oline continues to play how it has played....then that is when the real trouble starts.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by MSteitz468:
After one bad game by Hill and his 1st loss at home I don't understand why everyone wants Singletary to bench Hill. Most of you people want Alex Smith to come in but what about all the bad years Smith gave us and Hill has ONE bad game and you guys want him benched.

One bad game, are you kidding? Every game for Hill is a bad game. He mananges one drive a game that results in points and all the Hill lovers think he is clutch. He is nothing more than a pie chucking, bar league QB, that has no business being a starter on an NFL team.

Oh yeah and i forgot Smith has been Great every game he's ever played in...the only good game Smith ever had was the one against the Seahawks when we came back and won other than that Smith shouldn't even be in this league

Quit changing the standards for the two quarterbacks. If you're going to judge one by a certain set of criteria, judge the other by the same set.

Hill has had better games than Hill and this guy just simply WINS! at the end of the day that's all that matters right? you can't say the same for smith and this guy was the 1st overall pick

If you're so bent on Hill being the quarterback for this team, then I guess you're happy with the 45-10 beating we took, since that's going to keep happening every time we need a quarterback to throw us to a win.

I'm confident Hill will rebound from this game and have a great game against the texans

A great game? What? Passing for a whopping 180 yards? A nice healthy average of 6.5 yards per pass? Maybe 1 touchdown? Yeah, that's a great game.

I don't understand how anyone can be happy with that. When Smith put up those numbers, people were pissed. Yet, Hill can do it and everyone is happy?

Do you really like Captain Wounded Duck's throws? Do you really think they look good?

Oh man, that one wounded duck that hit Morgan in the chest inbetween two defenders for a touchdown...that was really horrible, really embarrassing it wasn't a tight spiral........SHAUN HILL IS A WINNER!!! ALEX SMITH IS NOT!!!!! Smith was a complete crap quarterback and shouldn't even be in the NFL, he would have 10 picks by now and we would be 1-4....if you think Smith is our answer get your head checked, I'm not saying Hill is the third coming but he wins most of his games and should be playing in the short term.

.. Smith protected the ball very well as far as interceptions as he grew as a player -- If you're judging his skewed stats because of the horrendous rookie year, stop. He had a fine second year going and before he got hurt in 2007, he had thrown only one interception.

I think the fact of the matter is, Hill can't do any more than Smith can, and I really don't believe Smith brings us any less than Hill does. I don't doubt for a second that Smith could bring us wins just as well if he were in the games now.

Which Alex Smith year are you talking about?

Passing Stats
YEAR TEAM G CMP ATT PCT YDS AVG TD LNG INT RAT
2005 SFO 9 84 165 50.9 875 5.3 1 47 11 40.8
2006 SFO 16 257 442 58.1 2890 6.5 16 75 16 74.8
2007 SFO 7 94 193 48.7 914 4.7 2 45 4 57.2
Career 32 435 800 54.4 4679 5.8 19 75 31 63.5
Also all you people saying that Smith is more athletic and better than Hill than why didn't he win the starting job? If he was that good he would have easily beat out Hill for the starting job.

Athleticism? Let's look at rushing stats...

Shaun Hill has averaged 4.3 yards per carry when rushing
Alex Smith has averaged 3.9 yards per carry

Shaun Hill has 3 rushing TDs in 17 games played
Alex Smith has 2 rushing TDs in 31 games played
Originally posted by djfullshred:
Also all you people saying that Smith is more athletic and better than Hill than why didn't he win the starting job? If he was that good he would have easily beat out Hill for the starting job.

But can Hill master the art of the rollout for no reason while failing to deliver the ball like Alex Smith has?

I think not!
  • 9ermj
  • Info N/A

When your arm is the consistency of Top Ramen , maybe running it in is a better option , and it will get to the endzone faster, He 's the only Qb who can throw a bomb to himself.
Originally posted by GhostofJimmyDean:

But can Hill master the art of the rollout for no reason while failing to deliver the ball like Alex Smith has?

I think not!

The reason Alex was successful running that rollout was because Gore had over 1500 yards that season. The question is can Smith take a hit the way Hill does?

If you watched them play you can tell Shaun is slower. Just because he averages .4 more YPC in fewer attempts doesn't change that. Alex has twice as many rushing attempts as Shaun did, and in 07 he was averaging 6.8 YPC. He was turning into a guy who was pretty good at using his feet. Sorry but Shaun looks like a mess out there.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
I don't want Hill benched at all but....

Smith at QB would open up our vertical game b/c he excels over Hill on those throws. Also, he provides more athleticism to evade the rushers that Hill tends to just to kneel on one knee to.

I don't think Smith would fare too much better, but I think he posses more of the skills that we need to get better on O.

Either way, Smith will end up starting at some point this season b/c Hill will get blasted behind this line. It's inevitable.

• Hopper
  • Veteran
Nothing funnier than arguing over career journeymen and a Bust.

This is how low we've fallen since Young and Montana.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by MSteitz468:

Smith's upside should give the coaches a reason for at least giving him a chance to play in a regular season game after TWO YEARS. I don't understand why in a blowout loss that Smith wasn't given a chance.
Originally posted by Hopper:

True, but it makes for a fun and lively discussion..But I digress, let's get back on point..

Hill sucks and has no arm....
Originally posted by Hopper:

49er fans have Hill vs Smith

Brown fans have Quinn vs Anderson

meanwhile Philly had at one point McNabb, Kolb, Vick, and Garcia

Just doesn't seem fair
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
We will all disagree on who should start but can we all agree that both Hill and Smith stink?
Share 49ersWebzone