There are 234 users in the forums

I don't understand why everyone wants Hill benched

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Duck...duck...duck... GOOSE
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
Duck...duck...duck... GOOSE

Duck...duck...duck...SACK
Originally posted by susweel:
Its only because people have forgotten the stench of watching Alex "loser" Smith play. Some people seem to think that he magically has gotten better.

I wouldn't say he's a loser, he's just not a good nfl quarterback. It's okay, he's at least a good backup, and he's getting paid.
Originally posted by djfullshred:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
Also all you people saying that Smith is more athletic and better than Hill than why didn't he win the starting job? If he was that good he would have easily beat out Hill for the starting job.

Athleticism? Let's look at rushing stats...

Shaun Hill has averaged 4.3 yards per carry when rushing
Alex Smith has averaged 3.9 yards per carry

Shaun Hill has 3 rushing TDs in 17 games played
Alex Smith has 2 rushing TDs in 31 games played

If you watched them play you can tell Shaun is slower. Just because he averages .4 more YPC in fewer attempts doesn't change that. Alex has twice as many rushing attempts as Shaun did, and in 07 he was averaging 6.8 YPC. He was turning into a guy who was pretty good at using his feet. Sorry but Shaun looks like a mess out there.

The 6.8 in 2007 was only over 13 attempts. Pretty small a sampling size for rushing. That is why looked at the average over total games played.

I suppose we can forget using the term "more athletic", because that is too general & could be debated until the end of time. What I can tell from watching is Smith may be faster, but is not as decisive in knowing when to run for a 1st down as Hill is.

you're wasting your time....these are the same ***** who were yelling at the top of their lungs that Alex was more athletic than Rogers when the combine obviously showed he was not.

I mean they can't back up their claims with facts, so they either make retarded jokes or pull out pics of Ducks when backed into a corner.........simple minded people they are.

one more time, just for the hell of it.... WHAT DID ALEX SHOW IN THE PRESEASON TO MAKE ANYONE OF YOU FEEL THAT HE CAN STEP IN IMPROVE THIS OFFENSE?

That's right, NOTHING!

He didn't show athleticism.
He didn't show a Strong accurate Arm on any Deep throws.
He didn't show pocket presence.
He didn't show any touch on his passes.

some will respond that, hey Shaun didn't show much either (even though he had less attempts). Well we go off last year, in the regular season where he showed signs of being a capable QB. You, Alex Smith fanatics, are basically saying give him the Starting job even though you have not watched him look "successful" what ever that means when regarding Alex...but you have not watched play for 2-3 years now......but expect him to come in, with this Oline, this playcalling and be successful...or more successful than Shaun?

...what ever people....the only reason you all post negative things about Shaun and Singletary (because he didn't give poor Alex the starting job) is because you and I know that no matter what you post or I post, we have no control over what happens on the team.....

I still have faith in this team with Shaun at QB...I believe we will make the playoffs. and apparently the team and most of the fans here do.

you negative cowards can continue to

[ Edited by Afrikan on Oct 13, 2009 at 17:05:02 ]
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Also all you people saying that Smith is more athletic and better than Hill than why didn't he win the starting job? If he was that good he would have easily beat out Hill for the starting job.

If you watched them play you can tell Shaun is slower. Just because he averages .4 more YPC in fewer attempts doesn't change that. Alex has twice as many rushing attempts as Shaun did, and in 07 he was averaging 6.8 YPC. He was turning into a guy who was pretty good at using his feet. Sorry but Shaun looks like a mess out there.

The 6.8 in 2007 was only over 13 attempts. Pretty small a sampling size for rushing. That is why looked at the average over total games played.

I suppose we can forget using the term "more athletic", because that is too general & could be debated until the end of time. What I can tell from watching is Smith may be faster, but is not as decisive in knowing when to run for a 1st down as Hill is.

you're wasting your time....these are the same ***** who were yelling at the top of their lungs that Alex was more athletic than Rogers when the combine obviously showed he was not.

I mean they can't back up their claims with facts, so they either make retarded jokes or pull out pics of Ducks when backed into a corner.........simple minded people they are.

one more time, just for the hell of it.... WHAT DID ALEX SHOW IN THE PRESEASON TO MAKE ANYONE OF YOU FEEL THAT HE CAN STEP IN IMPROVE THIS OFFENSE?

That's right, NOTHING!

some will respond that, hey Shaun didn't show much either (even though he had less attempts). Well we go off last year, in the regular season where he showed signs of being a capable QB. You, Alex Smith fanatics, are basically saying give him the Starting job even though you have not watched him look "successful" what ever that means when regarding Alex...but you have not watched play for 2-3 years now......but expect him to come in, with this Oline, this playcalling and be successful...or more successful than Shaun?

...what ever people....the only reason you all post negative things about Shaun and Singletary (because he didn't give poor Alex the starting job) is because you and I know that no matter what you post or I post, we have no control over what happens on the team.....

I still have faith in this team with Shaun at QB...I believe we will make the playoffs. and apparently the team and most of the fans here do.

Correct.
  • 9ermj
  • Info N/A

That's right, NOTHING!

Negative or Realistic time will tell , I wish he were good , he rotted for 6 years , do you think he got better or was he always this good
Originally posted by 9ermj:

That's right, NOTHING!

Negative or Realistic time will tell , I wish he were good , he rotted for 6 years , do you think he got better or was he always this good

what does "this good" mean though....see the thing with me is....I like what Shaun does out there....I'm not going to lie..when he first started, every throw scared the sh1t out of me....because he made it look effortless...I couldn't believe he was passing it to someone, and if he was that person had to be blanketed, right?....so I would be worried because he threw these soft looking passes....but then next you know, the person he is throwing it to is wide open.... I was not used to that..... he would find the right person to pass it to and we sustain drives last year. This year we are using a totally different type approach....and it doesn't really get Shaun into rhythm.....so I wasn't expecting much on certain drives.....but low and behold...when we need him in the forth quarter after leading most of the game, but not anymore.....he did it again..... he did it in Arizona....he did it against the Seahawks (even though we only got a field goal out of it, in the 4th qtr we took off 8mins with a 60 yard drive)...he did it against the Vikes...

So I don't know how good Shaun Hill is....but for the first time in a long time....I feel we have a chance at winning any game with him back there......and that if we lose, it most likely won't be because of him.

I mean, when we needed him in that 4th qtr against a STRONG defense, in a dome with a hostile crowd, and a HOF QB on their sidelines..... he drove us down the field and got us a TD.

but he sucks right?

[ Edited by Afrikan on Oct 13, 2009 at 18:51:13 ]
  • 9ermj
  • Info N/A

That's right, NOTHING!

what does "this good" mean though....see the thing with me is....I like what Shaun does out there....I'm not going to lie..when he first started, every throw scared the sh1t out of me....because he made it look effortless...I couldn't believe he was passing it to someone, and if he was that person had to be blanketed, right?....so I would be worried because he threw these soft looking passes....but then next you know, the person he is throwing it to is wide open.... I was not used to that..... he would find the right person to pass it to and we sustain drives last year. This year we are using a totally different type approach....and it doesn't really get Shaun into rhythm.....so I wasn't expecting much on certain drives.....but low and behold...when we need him in the forth quarter after leading most of the game, but not anymore.....he did it again..... he did it in Arizona....he did it against the Seahawks (even though we only got a field goal out of it, in the 4th qtr we took off 8mins with a 60 yard drive)...he did it against the Vikes...

So I don't know how good Shaun Hill is....but for the first time in a long time....I feel we have a chance at winning any game with him back there......and that if we lose, it most likely won't be because of him.

I mean, when we needed him in that 4th qtr against a STRONG defense, in a dome with a hostile crowd, and a HOF QB on their sidelines..... he drove us down the field and got us a TD.

but he sucks right?

Hey I'm just a guy with an opinion just like the rest of you, unlike you those soft ass throws still scare the s$%^ out me , and while he did have a couple of good drives the rest of the time he looks timid and he kind of blows IMO. No offense, just my opinion

That's right, NOTHING!

but he sucks right?

Hey I'm just a guy with an opinion just like the rest of you, unlike you those soft ass throws still scare the s$%^ out me , and while he did have a couple of good drives the rest of the time he looks timid and he kind of blows IMO. No offense, just my opinion

sorry, I wasn't specifically talking to just you... I forget sometimes that when I quote people, it can be taken that way......but yes besides the 4th qtr, rest of the time he does look timid a bit.......but I think that has more to do with the coaching staff and what they want out of him......usually we are winning by the 4th qtr then we let the other team get back in the game....then we decide to pass....and as much as I don't like it, it has worked.

but again, as far as Shaun, it seems like he would rather take a sack than try to throw it away, and most of the time that happens when the defense knows we are passing, (usually after we run in 2 straight times).... again it seems like he is still adjusting to the playbook as well as trying to not make a mistake.....Sing hates turnovers....but as the season goes along I would think Raye would get more comfortable with Shaun....and let him throw more....

I think after a few more games, the coaching staff will realize that we might need to pass to set up the run.....so we pass more early take a double digit lead and late in games we pound the ball....this is what real playoff winning type teams do.
Member Milestone: This is post number 2,700 for Memphis9er.

That's right, NOTHING!

but he sucks right?

sorry, I wasn't specifically talking to just you... I forget sometimes that when I quote people, it can be taken that way......but yes besides the 4th qtr, rest of the time he does look timid a bit.......but I think that has more to do with the coaching staff and what they want out of him......usually we are winning by the 4th qtr then we let the other team get back in the game....then we decide to pass....and as much as I don't like it, it has worked.

but again, as far as Shaun, it seems like he would rather take a sack than try to throw it away, and most of the time that happens when the defense knows we are passing, (usually after we run in 2 straight times).... again it seems like he is still adjusting to the playbook as well as trying to not make a mistake.....Sing hates turnovers....but as the season goes along I would think Raye would get more comfortable with Shaun....and let him throw more....

I think after a few more games, the coaching staff will realize that we might need to pass to set up the run.....so we pass more early take a double digit lead and late in games we pound the ball....this is what real playoff winning type teams do.

We have been passing early, we are a pass first team, passing 56% of the time. Hill just needs to quit dumping it off to the backs when he has receivers running open down the field. His pocket presence is non existent, his accuracy is dropping off. I do not think it is time to bench him, but if he cannot step it up, we have to try something else.

Originally posted by Memphis9er:

That's right, NOTHING!

but he sucks right?

We have been passing early, we are a pass first team, passing 56% of the time. Hill just needs to quit dumping it off to the backs when he has receivers running open down the field. His pocket presence is non existent, his accuracy is dropping off. I do not think it is time to bench him, but if he cannot step it up, we have to try something else.

Are receivers running open down the field? I don't recall any times during the games where the crew is pointing out a receiver Hill should have thrown it to. Or even a pass that missed a guy with a step or two on the defender.
Originally posted by dirtysouthniner:

That's right, NOTHING!

but he sucks right?

Are receivers running open down the field? I don't recall any times during the games where the crew is pointing out a receiver Hill should have thrown it to. Or even a pass that missed a guy with a step or two on the defender.

and I'm sure they would....they love pointing out stuff like that....they would have video replays and try to make themselves sound smart.

That's right, NOTHING!

but he sucks right?

and I'm sure they would....they love pointing out stuff like that....they would have video replays and try to make themselves sound smart.

Don't forget the local media as well as those experts on tv who love to stir the pot.

That's right, NOTHING!

but he sucks right?

Does he give the receivers an opportunity to get open? I also recall the announcers saying that maybe they should put in Alex smith to see if he can provide a spark. So what does that say? in all reality nothing but to act like Hill doesn't dump it off to early is being blind

[ Edited by aacadena on Oct 13, 2009 at 19:52:55 ]

I think they have been getting open.

When Hill actually threw deep this game, our receivers usually had a step or even two on Atlanta's defense. All of these said passes were horrible and didn't even come close to the area the receiver was running towards, but still. Goes to show you that maybe they are getting open and not getting the ball.

I specifically remember Brandon Jones in on one play and he seemed to be open but Hill completely missed the pass.
Share 49ersWebzone