LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 161 users in the forums

Singletary Encourages Hill to OPEN IT UP!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Originally posted by RonMexico:
wonder if shaun is allowed to change the play at the line if he knows a run won't work

Interestingly enough, I remember the biggest thing Shaun raved about regarding Raye's offense was that QBs had more freedom to call audibles (unlike last season under Martz). -And the only QB I saw all pre-season to utilize this advantage was Nate Davis (and Nate was praised for his intangibles).

Has ANYONE seen Shaun Hill audible at all? Seriously...I was under the impression the play-calling was all predetermined by Raye and the predictable motions and how the formations looked were OBVIOUS for defenses to determine whether it would be a run or not and defenses were exploiting this predictability with ease. Hill is a very smart QB and I just can't see him walking up to a line, staying with Raye's run-up-the-middle play, starring at a 9 man box all obviously getting ready to run blitz up the gut and STAY with it. Really? No way!
Originally posted by NCommand:
wonder if shaun is allowed to change the play at the line if he knows a run won't work

Interestingly enough, I remember the biggest thing Shaun raved about regarding Raye's offense was that QBs had more freedom to call audibles (unlike last season under Martz). -And the only QB I saw all pre-season to utilize this advantage was Nate Davis (and Nate was praised for his intangibles).

Has ANYONE seen Shaun Hill audible at all? Seriously...I was under the impression the play-calling was all predetermined by Raye and the predictable motions and how the formations looked were OBVIOUS for defenses to determine whether it would be a run or not and defenses were exploiting this predictability with ease. Hill is a very smart QB and I just can't see him walking up to a line, staying with Raye's run-up-the-middle play, starring at a 9 man box all obviously getting ready to run blitz up the gut and STAY with it. Really? No way!

If he has audibled, it must have been very few times, because I don't recall any specific plays. It certainly is not typical of how they play on the offense.
I'm hoping this loss has taught Raye's dumbass a lesson

But it's so simple. All Hill had to do was divine from what he knows of the defense: are they the sort of team who would put their focus against the run or the pass? Now, a clever man would run, because he would know that only a great fool would pass. But Hill is not a great fool, so he can clearly not choose the pass. But the defense must have known Hill was not a great fool, they would have counted on it, so they can clearly not choose to defend the pass.

But because the statements indicating the Niners will rely on the run comes from the coaches, as everyone knows, and coaching staffs are entirely peopled with folks attempting to deceive the competition, and coaches are used to having people not trust them, as they are not trusted by the defense, so the defense can clearly not choose to defend against the run.

And Hill must have suspected the defense would have known the strategy’s origin, so the defense can clearly not choose to defend the pass.

The defense had beaten the run twice, which means they're exceptionally strong, so Hill could've chosen to pass, trusting on his arm strength to save him, so the defense can clearly not choose to defend against the run. But, the defense also bested the passing game earlier, which means they must have studied, and in studying they must have learned that Hill has no arm strength and no big play threat, so Hill would have put the play’s success in someone else’s hands, so the defense can clearly not choose to defend the pass.

But then Hill got to the line of scrimmage, could have sworn he saw something. No matter. Let's go with the play called and not audible.

But he guessed wrong.

But we only think he guessed wrong! That's what's so funny! He switched plays when the defense’s back was turned! They fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a time of possession war against the Colts, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against Hill when the game is on the line! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha...

He seems a decent fellow, I hate to bench him.
[ Edited by mrgneissguy on Sep 30, 2009 at 11:56 AM ]
Originally posted by mrgneissguy:

But it's so simple. All Hill had to do was divine from what he knows of the defense: are they the sort of team who would put their focus against the run or the pass? Now, a clever man would run, because he would know that only a great fool would pass. But Hill is not a great fool, so he can clearly not choose the pass. But the defense must have known Hill was not a great fool, they would have counted on it, so they can clearly not choose to defend the pass.

But because the statements indicating the Niners will rely on the run comes from the coaches, as everyone knows, and coaching staffs are entirely peopled with folks attempting to deceive the competition, and coaches are used to having people not trust them, as they are not trusted by the defense, so the defense can clearly not choose to defend against the run.

And Hill must have suspected the defense would have known the strategy’s origin, so the defense can clearly not choose to defend the pass.

The defense had beaten the run twice, which means they're exceptionally strong, so Hill could've chosen to pass, trusting on his arm strength to save him, so the defense can clearly not choose to defend against the run. But, the defense also bested the passing game earlier, which means they must have studied, and in studying they must have learned that Hill has no arm strength and no big play threat, so Hill would have put the play’s success in someone else’s hands, so the defense can clearly not choose to defend the pass.

But then Hill got to the line of scrimmage, could have sworn he saw something. No matter. Let's go with the play called and not audible.

But he guessed wrong.

But we only think he guessed wrong! That's what's so funny! He switched plays when the defense’s back was turned! They fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a time of possession war against the Colts, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against Hill when the game is on the line! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha...

Classic!

But he guessed wrong.

Funniest post I've ever read

But he guessed wrong.

I was going to may a quip about how Hill opening it up would be passing six yards instead of three for each pass attempt, but then I saw this post and thought it was too brilliant to follow up with another jab at Hill's inability to throw the ball.
Hill looks really timid compared to last year, I haven't seen him call one audible so far this year. Maybe he lacks confidence, maybe he is just scared of screwing up and losing his job...who knows? His level of play doesn't seem to be consistent with what he did last year. I like how he rarely turns it over, but he has to get the ball to the receivers more often. His reluctance to spread the ball around really limits what the offense can do. At some point he is going to have to try to make the defenses pay for stacking the box, and if he can't do it, then maybe we need to get one of the other QB's in there.
  • B650
  • Veteran
I think the WRs could have a big game this week because the Rams will be focused on Davis and the running game. It's up to Hill to step up and throw them the ball. We have a great defense. There's no reason why we shouldn't be more aggressive. We can afford a turnover here and there. So Hill, it's time to get more aggressive and play to win, rather than not to lose.
  • legend8
  • Info N/A
I don't think he can open it up did you see the Hail Mary to the endzone it came up like 25 yards too short

Originally posted by legend8:
I don't think he can open it up did you see the Hail Mary to the endzone it came up like 25 yards too short

VD almost caught it!!! With a convoy around him.
  • B650
  • Veteran

There aren't many QBs who would've been able to get the ball into the endzone from where we were at. Hail Mary's have nothing to do with opening up the offense anyway. We didn't have many deep plays last year, but we did have a bunch of 10 to 20 yard plays. That's still opening up the offense.
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:

I think if VD would have caught it, he may have had a chance, there was an opening to the left.
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:

I think if VD would have caught it, he may have had a chance, there was an opening to the left.

me 2
hill says he just tries to manage the game and doesn't take many risks throwing into small windows. He said so himself at the press conference against the seahawks (?)
Share 49ersWebzone