LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 222 users in the forums

Sing: "We'll see them again in the Playoffs"

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by DaFaro49ers:
No, you won't see them in a play-offs if your offense can't convert ONE SINGLE 3RD DOWN FOR 60 MINUTES.

You will see them in the playoffs, if your team continues to fight and find a way to win anyway possible. If we literally nearly won the game without a 3rd down conversion, that just only adds praise to the coaching of the mentalitiy of the players, Sing does

LOL! But we still didn't WIN. So until it's proven that you can win a game coverting NO 3rd downs, then I'll believe this argument.

It's not about what's on paper, it's not about hypotheticals. It's about results - WINS AND LOSSES. This is still an L. Morale victory BS doesn't sell to me anymore.

You have a point. Wins and losses are what will determine if the 49ers make the playoffs. So far... 2 wins, 1 loss. Another important stat, 2 division wins, 0 losses.

Also, while I share in your frustration of not converting 3rd downs today, that does not mean we can't do it, it simply means we did a poor job today.

In game 1, we converted 7 of 18 3rd down attempts.

In game 2, we converted 5 of 15 3rd down attempts.

Let's hope we get better on 3rd downs in the future.

Let's also recognize that through 3 games, this team has played well enough to be considered a contender for a playoff spot.

While you may not buy morale victories, what really matters is if the players buy into it, and continue to improve.
I'm with ya, J.C...you just can't play ultra-conservative and give Favre any opportunity to beat you. He's beaten us to death over the years, so you have to use a little more imagination than running five times up the middle. It's just like the prevent defense...it sucks! You have to be willing to take some calculated risks...that's what the best teams do. I do agree w/Coach, though...they played their hearts out and came within an eyelash of beating one of the premier teams. We controlled AP except for one 35-yd gallop. In the NFL, you have to lick your wounds and get ready for the next opponent, which is the Rams. I feel bad about this loss...but it shows we can compete against the big boys, even w/o Gore. Coffee will get all the reps the next couple of weeks and he should step up.
If Mike Singletary really wants to make the playoffs, he needs to talk to Jimmy Raye about his conservative and predictable play calling!

He needs to realize that when he faces a team that is known for stopping the run (like the Vikings), he must do something different. Dink passing, screens, sweeps instead of continually trying to go through the strength of the other teams defense.

No third down conversions for the entire game is inexcusable! ... and 2.2 yds per carry is pretty pathetic. Even a healthy Frank Gore couldn't have done much better with this defense.

Jimmy Raye's running game as he has it scripted didn't work with the Cardinals and it didn't work with the Vikings! And it won't work with some of the better teams they still have to play! i.e. Falcons, Colts, Titans and the Bears.

So hang on to your seats folks if he persists on doing this same thing throughout the season!
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
I'm with ya, J.C...you just can't play ultra-conservative and give Favre any opportunity to beat you. He's beaten us to death over the years, so you have to use a little more imagination than running five times up the middle. It's just like the prevent defense...it sucks! You have to be willing to take some calculated risks...that's what the best teams do. I do agree w/Coach, though...they played their hearts out and came within an eyelash of beating one of the premier teams. We controlled AP except for one 35-yd gallop. In the NFL, you have to lick your wounds and get ready for the next opponent, which is the Rams. I feel bad about this loss...but it shows we can compete against the big boys, even w/o Gore. Coffee will get all the reps the next couple of weeks and he should step up.

THIS
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
Originally posted by DaFaro49ers:
No, you won't see them in a play-offs if your offense can't convert ONE SINGLE 3RD DOWN FOR 60 MINUTES.

You will see them in the playoffs, if your team continues to fight and find a way to win anyway possible. If we literally nearly won the game without a 3rd down conversion, that just only adds praise to the coaching of the mentalitiy of the players, Sing does

Im not into moral victories, but I do think the team is definitely growing. In the past, if we could not convert 3rd downs, it was a 30+ point blow out. We SHOULD HAVE won that game if not for the prevent D the last two minutes.

I give Favre all the credit in the world for putting together a great drive, but he merely took what our D gave him and that was a 15 yard cushion to complete every short pass and march down the field.

All things considered (In Minnesota, Without Gore, Not converting any 3rd downs, etc.) this team played a damn good football game, and would have deserved the win if they got it. Unfortunately, they didnt, so now it is time to learn from it and we will see if either we or Minnesota makes the playoffs. One thing is for sure though...if we do see them in the playoffs you can bet that this team will NOT forget this game.

GO NINERS!

I was reading some viking forums, and a lot of fans said if it wasnt for our prevent D in the end, they would have probably lost. I believe it was our prevent "O" that helped the Vikes as well. Prevent defense should only be pulled out to sit on a big lead. When its one score or less, keep playnig your game till the whistle blows. After all, its what got us the lead. Same thing for offense, you have the ball and the lead, keep scoring! I hope the coach learns from this and moves on. He should have more confidence in this team.
[ Edited by TheCatch on Sep 28, 2009 at 6:17 AM ]
  • 49erinChicago
  • Info N/A
We all know coming into this season that we were going to be a running team. Sing said that he wants to run the ball. So I expected that at the end of the game (even with Gore hurt) that we would run the ball up the gut 3 times (my 2 yr old cousin could have predicted that). I blame the game on Sing and here is why:

We knew that Sing has more faith in his defense than offense and we knew that after we scored the touchdown and the defense stopped the Vikes offense we were going to give it back to them (Anybody who watched the first two games could have predicted that ie Arizona game) My problem was WHY DIDN'T SING CALL A TIMEOUT on the final drive. The Vikings had already stopped the clock by going out of bounds or spiking it (i don't remember) but it was obvious that our Dline was EXHAUSTED. The final play there was 16 secs left. They scored with 2 secs two left. That means that Farve had more than 11 secs to throw the ball (i left a couple secs off for the actual time the ball was in the air). That means our pass rush was extremely tired and couldn't catch there breath. Some might say that if we call a timeout then they can think of a play ( tell me what team has a play with 16 secs left for 32 yards) not too many teams. Sing called a timeout against Arizona when they were driving and that saved the touchdown WHY didn't he call a timeout. Don't get me wrong I LOVE SING, but he made a mistake by not calling a timeout.
Originally posted by 49erinChicago:
We all know coming into this season that we were going to be a running team. Sing said that he wants to run the ball. So I expected that at the end of the game (even with Gore hurt) that we would run the ball up the gut 3 times (my 2 yr old cousin could have predicted that). I blame the game on Sing and here is why:

We knew that Sing has more faith in his defense than offense and we knew that after we scored the touchdown and the defense stopped the Vikes offense we were going to give it back to them (Anybody who watched the first two games could have predicted that ie Arizona game) My problem was WHY DIDN'T SING CALL A TIMEOUT on the final drive. The Vikings had already stopped the clock by going out of bounds or spiking it (i don't remember) but it was obvious that our Dline was EXHAUSTED. The final play there was 16 secs left. They scored with 2 secs two left. That means that Farve had more than 11 secs to throw the ball (i left a couple secs off for the actual time the ball was in the air). That means our pass rush was extremely tired and couldn't catch there breath. Some might say that if we call a timeout then they can think of a play ( tell me what team has a play with 16 secs left for 32 yards) not too many teams. Sing called a timeout against Arizona when they were driving and that saved the touchdown WHY didn't he call a timeout. Don't get me wrong I LOVE SING, but he made a mistake by not calling a timeout.

Right, we have a timeout that should have been called, or never use it. We needed rest, and at that field position, an attacking defense, that stops Farve. I keep replaying that last 12 seconds as well.
  • jaghetersofie
  • Info N/A
I think Sing was not only talking to the team, but takling to himself. This was a huge learning experience for him, this is the first time this team and this coach were in a legitimate playoff-type game. The Cardinals were sluggish, the Seahawks were banged up, the Vikings were fresh, in mid-stride, at home.

Remember the coach is a rookie too, he's going to make some rookie mistakes. The difference with Singletary (and our previous rookie head coaches) is that he will learn from them. If we play the Vikings again in the playoffs, expect the outcome to be different.

Remember the Arizona game last year? We needed to learn how to win the game in the last two minutes. Now we need to learn how to hold the lead in the last two minutes, and we will.
[ Edited by jaghetersofie on Sep 28, 2009 at 9:01 AM ]
It's the Favre Mystique guys. Don't worry it happens to the best of them. And there's nothing we can do about it. Favre always has an ounce of Mojo to use whenever it's called for. The problem is he cums it way too early in the season and he's screwed the rest of his schedule. Remember last season when he threw 6 tds in like his 2nd or 3rd game? Then Favre sucked the rest of the way.
[ Edited by fortyninerglory on Sep 28, 2009 at 9:05 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone