LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 270 users in the forums

Crabtree Discussion Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by MrOrange:
That John Clayton clone/wannabe on NFL.com said that he expects Crabtree to sign no later than week 10 when of course he would stand to lose too much if you will. I say he probably signs week 2 or 3 when he realizes he's lost close to $50,000 in game checks.

When he does sign though it'll be a little awkward for whomever ended up caving in. Someone is going to have to answer some tough questions about why he wasn't at camp when it started let alone there for the season opener.

Holding out till the first game of the preseason? I'm ok with that. There is nothing wrong with seeing how much leverage you have and what you can walk away with, but this has turned into something absurd. Lose/lose situation....moreso for Crabtree.

i think most of you guys don't understand crabtree cos you don't think like him.
I think you're wrong cos what 50K means for a guy expecting 30M ? (you know there's a big difference between a K and a M) It means absolutely nothing ! He has a high opinion of himself and signing for the contract given by the niners is like an insult to him.
HE WILL NOT SIGN UNLESS THE NINERS MAKE A BETTER OFFER
i SAY IT TODAY AND I'LL SAY IT TOMORROW
forget about the guy and yes you can burn your #15 jersey for good (thank god after hesitation i finally bought a #52 jersey cos i went for the guy who already proved somethin')

[ Edited by 49Fever on Sep 8, 2009 at 11:45:07 ]
Can't we just sweeten the deal with some local endorsements or something under the table......I'm gonna cry
i think saturday night we should all have a Crabtree burn party if he dosent sign and post it on you tube i bought #52 as well thank god.
Originally posted by BigMar:
Hi there, I'm #15, Michael "Cashtree".... Deion wants me to have this nickname.

i like it very much
is it your idea ?
nice nickname
from now on i'll call him 'cashtree'
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by Mookster:
Originally posted by dirtysouthniner:
Originally posted by sincalniner:
Just seen that Goodell will be doing a live chat tomorrow @ 2pm eastern on NFL.com. We need to get as many zoners on as possable and hound his ass about this Sanders crap.

Agreed. I already sent in my question:

In a recent NFL Network interview Deion Sanders claimed that two teams had attempted to trade for Michael Crabtree and were willing to meet his contract demands. The 49ers have stated no such talks occurred. Essentially, if Deion is speaking the truth then this is an obvious case of tampering. If not then Deion is inappropriately using his position on the NFL Network to attempt to push the 49ers into meeting Crabtree's contract demand.

Given the public nature of the revelation does the league require the 49ers to lodge an investigation and if not will the league be investigating under its own initiative?

Bumping a good question

Halfway through and Goodell hasn't dealt with a sensitive quesiton yet. All publicly available statements (Time Warner network issue and rookie salary cap) he's made elsewhere. I doubt he'll deal with any contentious issues here.

Goodell isn't ballsy enough to take any tough questions...

-9fA

No kidding! He's taking questions about throwback jerseys and why not every team uses the "C" for team captains...... you know, just the important stuff!
The 49ers have to make the incentives more reasonable to attain, obviously Crabtree is going to have a hard time catching 80 balls in this offense let alone 100+
Originally posted by ssahnan:
Originally posted by westcoastchamps:
Originally posted by ads_2006:
If he doesnt sign by saturday

I wont care if the niners sign him or not.

I’m with you I’m waiting till Saturday if he doesn’t sign by then I’m done with him he is dead to me. And when we see him next year I hope P Willie takes his head off. But I hope he is just doing what his agent says and come Saturday he says screw this I’m signing

i think if he doesnt sign by saturday or the few days after, i dont think it will be about caring if we sign him or not. I think by then, there's enuf writing on the wall to see we just plainly aren't signing him unless we offer more then the slot, which i dont think we are going to do. if not signed by next week, its pretty evident he does infact truly intend to hold out till the draft unless niners give him what he wants.

for all the leverage we had, its down to a matter of days in my opinion to where leverage will now be his. from his standpoint, if we want him, we know the price tag to get him. otherwise, we'll see him on a opposing team next season.

thx for your common sense
Just seen that Goodell will be doing a live chat tomorrow @ 2pm eastern on NFL.com. We need to get as many zoners on as possable and hound his ass about this Sanders crap.

In a recent NFL Network interview Deion Sanders claimed that two teams had attempted to trade for Michael Crabtree and were willing to meet his contract demands. The 49ers have stated no such talks occurred. Essentially, if Deion is speaking the truth then this is an obvious case of tampering. If not then Deion is inappropriately using his position on the NFL Network to attempt to push the 49ers into meeting Crabtree's contract demand.

Given the public nature of the revelation does the league require the 49ers to lodge an investigation and if not will the league be investigating under its own initiative?

Bumping a good question

Halfway through and Goodell hasn't dealt with a sensitive quesiton yet. All publicly available statements (Time Warner network issue and rookie salary cap) he's made elsewhere. I doubt he'll deal with any contentious issues here.

-9fA

Here is what got posted:

Regarding the whole Deion Sanders/Michael Crabtree fiasco - The 49ers say they haven't been contacted by any teams regarding Crabtree, but Deion says he knows of two teams who would for sure give Crabtree $40 million. Who are these two teams and why are they making offers to a player, his agent or representatives directly when the 49ers are the only ones who can negotiate with him?

Commissioner Roger Goodell, NFL.com
This is not tampering, but it may be a conflict of interest. It is not permissible for other teams to get involved or express an interest in signing Michael Crabtree. This negotiation should be between the player and the 49ers and hopefully they will find a resolution so Michael can begin his NFL career as soon as possible.

I think they watered down the question to avoid putting Goodell on the spot. Also not sure I would agree that tampering didn't occur.

Bumping a good question

Goodell mentioned a cap on rookies salary but nothing about what Deion said on NFLN....
i say after we sign him we should have him run the nut cracker against all are defense for an entire day.then will drag his ass off the field

Bumping a good question

-9fA

Here is what got posted:

Regarding the whole Deion Sanders/Michael Crabtree fiasco - The 49ers say they haven't been contacted by any teams regarding Crabtree, but Deion says he knows of two teams who would for sure give Crabtree $40 million. Who are these two teams and why are they making offers to a player, his agent or representatives directly when the 49ers are the only ones who can negotiate with him?

This is not tampering, but it may be a conflict of interest. It is not permissible for other teams to get involved or express an interest in signing Michael Crabtree. This negotiation should be between the player and the 49ers and hopefully they will find a resolution so Michael can begin his NFL career as soon as possible.

I think they watered down the question to avoid putting Goodell on the spot. Also not sure I would agree that tampering didn't occur.

I sent in a followup but I doubt he will answer it. I asked if the niners have the rights and other teams are negotiating directly with crabtree how is that not tampering? I also stated that the niners were fined for that same thing.

What difference does it make if he is a rookie?
I think the niners have to launch a complaint for the commish to do anything.

As for money Crabs will lose-he will lose more money by holding out, but he and his agent are to stupid when it comes to the math. If he does reenter the draft next year he will never make that bonus money up. If the bonus is 20M for 5 years thats four mill lost and it will take him one year longer to become a free agent where he will command the real money is so that means somewhere between 5-10 mill in bonus for that 1 year. His skill will also diminish having lost that year and he will have make up for that time. I think they are trying to pull a fast one-maybe they are scared they need to get as much as they can because of the foot.

The raiders are not smarter than we are-the reason for this whol fiasco is because of the raiders. Al wanted to screw us which he did. He payed such an absurbed price for his pick, a lot of owners were pissed that shelled out more than necessary. I hope his recent p/u from new england blows up in his face.
All I'm gonna say at this point is this kind of thing is what turns me off more & more to pro sports, and why I start watching college & amatuer sports more. I would rather see the NFL go out of business before these young prima dona athletes get any of my money when they act this way. This kind of thing is why I primarily do not buy tickets anymore. Why should I pitch in to pay players that have no sense of appreciation they are going to make more money in a few years then I will after a whole lifetime of hard work?
  • Bille
  • Veteran
Originally posted by a24hrdad:

Bumping a good question

-9fA

Here is what got posted:

I sent in a followup but I doubt he will answer it. I asked if the niners have the rights and other teams are negotiating directly with crabtree how is that not tampering? I also stated that the niners were fined for that same thing.

What difference does it make if he is a rookie?

I guess the difference is that he is not currently signed, so he is technically not under our employment, like Briggs was.

[ Edited by Bille on Sep 8, 2009 at 12:09:42 ]

Bumping a good question

-9fA

Here is what got posted:

WTF?

Ok, I have no problem with Crabs holding out and playing the game. It's his life.

However... Goodell cleary states that is is "not permissible" for for other teams to get involved or express an interest in Crabs.

So where is the investigation?

The 49ers claim they have not have had these discussions with other teams. So obviously either they are lying, or other teams are doing what Goodell himself, says is not permissible.

If teams are using tactics they are not permitted to, then why is he sitting on his ass doing nothing about it?

What these are other teams are doing is tampering.

What Deion did by reporting it, was a conflict of interest. He works for the league.

Funny that an employee of the league, spills the beans, and the league turns it head and passes it of as a conflict of interest.

Absolutely ridiculous.
Share 49ersWebzone