LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 226 users in the forums

Crabtree Discussion Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by BigMar:
Originally posted by BrodieWins:
Was checking for any news...don't wanted to get fooled again....but has anyone else noticed that Jed York went on the Radio about wanting to meet with crabtree and agent about four days after an invite to meet was issued to them? And there has not been a response. I find that very interesting. You would think it would be professional curtosey to reply to an NFL Owner......to me this means one of two things

1) He is still bothered with a foot injury...There was an unsubstantiated siting of Crabtree going into the back of a sports doctors office in Lubbock yesterday....

2) They are already guaranteed the money from another team. ESPN insiders has an article..(i am not subscribed) that says he could be going to the Jets....

It is interesting to note that we are not guaranteed to be able to trade him March 1 if he does not sign. He would have to agree to sign. The other way is to trade his rights but that would require a team knowing that they could sign him. That is my bet what happens if we can't get a meeting that Jed requested or subsequently sign him

Who knows, may be some truth to some of the above. I do find it odd that the team that drafted Craptree (9ers) still to this day have zero idea what Craptree 40 time is, I certainly would want to know BEFORE i pay him MILLIONS. Yes, it does matter, if he can oly run say a 4.59 - 4.60 he ain't gonna get seperation in the NFL like he did in College. (can you say J.J. Stokes).

Secondly, with the Craptree camp dis-respectfully not even responding to Jed York open invitation to talk yet, this is just another Red Flag to add to this whole circus.

Something is very, very odd with Mr. Craptree. Hope the 9ers dont foolishly OVERPAY to find out just what that may be.

Craptree clearly is giving no signals he wants to co-operate, no signals he is going do any bending, no signals he dreams of being a 9er, and certainly no signals he is dying to play NFL football.

The only clear signal is.... OVERPAY him if you want him.

Can you fail any harder than you already have.

Anquan Boldin runs a 4.71 at the NFL combine and can gain separation in the NFL.

Malcolm Kelly ran in the 4.7's at the combine and is the starting flanker meanwhile one of the top WR's of that same class Devin Thomas ran in the 4.4's was drafted by the same team is his backup.

Please just stop posting nonsense about the 40 time. 40 times may be meaningful in Madden but they mean very little in the NFL.

Unless you play tight end.
Was checking for any news...don't wanted to get fooled again....but has anyone else noticed that Jed York went on the Radio about wanting to meet with crabtree and agent about four days after an invite to meet was issued to them? And there has not been a response. I find that very interesting. You would think it would be professional curtosey to reply to an NFL Owner......to me this means one of two things

1) He is still bothered with a foot injury...There was an unsubstantiated siting of Crabtree going into the back of a sports doctors office in Lubbock yesterday....

2) They are already guaranteed the money from another team. ESPN insiders has an article..(i am not subscribed) that says he could be going to the Jets....

It is interesting to note that we are not guaranteed to be able to trade him March 1 if he does not sign. He would have to agree to sign. The other way is to trade his rights but that would require a team knowing that they could sign him. That is my bet what happens if we can't get a meeting that Jed requested or subsequently sign him

Who knows, may be some truth to some of the above. I do find it odd that the team that drafted Craptree (9ers) still to this day have zero idea what Craptree 40 time is, I certainly would want to know BEFORE i pay him MILLIONS. Yes, it does matter, if he can oly run say a 4.59 - 4.60 he ain't gonna get seperation in the NFL like he did in College. (can you say J.J. Stokes).

Secondly, with the Craptree camp dis-respectfully not even responding to Jed York open invitation to talk yet, this is just another Red Flag to add to this whole circus.

Something is very, very odd with Mr. Craptree. Hope the 9ers dont foolishly OVERPAY to find out just what that may be.

Craptree clearly is giving no signals he wants to co-operate, no signals he is going do any bending, no signals he dreams of being a 9er, and certainly no signals he is dying to play NFL football.

Anquan Boldin runs a 4.71 at the NFL combine and can gain separation in the NFL.

Malcolm Kelly ran in the 4.7's at the combine and is the starting flanker meanwhile one of the top WR's of that same class Devin Thomas ran in the 4.4's was drafted by the same team is his backup.

Please just stop posting nonsense about the 40 time. 40 times may be meaningful in Madden but they mean very little in the NFL.

40 times may not mean much in a practical sense, but as far as ranking players for the draft, it can mean a lot.

He could always go out in a blaze of thread-starting glory
  • dugo
  • Veteran
I doubt Crabtree is gonna sign with the 9ers. He doesn't want to play for us bottom line. For him to be sitting back and not respond to any requests for a sit down with Jed York his boss, is one clue. That invite went out last week, if we heard about it, so has he. Another clue is his unwillingness to negotiate in anyway shape or form. So far its his way or he's not signing. Yet another clue is that he's willing to sit out the season and re-enter the draft. Everyone and their pappy is saying that will ruin any NFL career he may have. But I don't believe he's that stupid. I know its been talked about to death but some other team MUST have promised him a better contract than whats been offered by the 9ers. What other leverage could this stubborn kid have in order to shine on his boss, be unwilling negotiate, and throw away a full eligible NFL season? All that being said I'd still would like to see him in a niner uniform. But to me its looking like its not going to happen. I say let him go!! Its his loss.
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:

For the last time, THE 40 TIME DOES NOT MATTER! It's an overrated metric and that is it. How many times in an NFL game does a WR run straight for 40 yards with no pads and no one in front of them? Answer: NEVER.

The best WR in the history of the game ran a 4.7. Boldin ran a 4.71, Fitzgerald a 4.63 and Owens a 4.6. I'm pretty sure they've all faired pretty well in their NFL careers. I would rather have a receiver who has good hands, runs good routes and can block down field than someone who can run in straight line. With your logic, we probably should have drafted DHB.

Ya...totally agree.

Separation is about, route running, quickness (not stright line speed), and natural ability.

Speed in a WR is SOOOOOOOOO overratted its not even funny. Yes, its important, but route running, quickness, and hands are ALL more important.

For the last time, THE 40 TIME DOES NOT MATTER! It's an overrated metric and that is it. How many times in an NFL game does a WR run straight for 40 yards with no pads and no one in front of them? Answer: NEVER.

The best WR in the history of the game ran a 4.7. Boldin ran a 4.71, Fitzgerald a 4.63 and Owens a 4.6. I'm pretty sure they've all faired pretty well in their NFL careers. I would rather have a receiver who has good hands, runs good routes and can block down field than someone who can run in straight line. With your logic, we probably should have drafted DHB.

There are more WR's who came out of College as star's but in the NFL simply could not get "seperation" in the NFL with one factor being poor 40 yard times. Yes, there are exceptions as you noted above. There is zero guarantee Craptree is a Boldin or Fitzgerald, and zero guarantee that Craptree ain't a J.J. Stokes or Rashaun Woods.

IF 40 times Do Not Matter, as you claim.... then explain WHY they matter in the NFL combine and more importly WHY they matter to NFL Teams?

Tick, tock, tick tock, we are waiting.
I'm at the point where I don't want him on my team...and unless we can get a first rounder for him, I'd prefer to hold his rights until the draft, not let him work out for anybody, and watch him go in the late first to early second next year...just to make me feel better.
Of course the rational side of me wants to get SOMETHING for him...but I'd almost prefer to just watch him be drafted next year, to see him slide again. Wouldn't that be fun? Watching him take offers for 7-8 million would make me feel better than a 3rd rounder would.(Gore being a 3rd rounder aside)
It's a good thing it's not up to me.
Can I get a HELL YEAH for the niners Brass? They appear to be handling this FIRST CLASS. The depreciating offer is classic, and extending the olive branch was a good idea too...especially making it public. The entire NFL has our backs on this one....give or take a few homers(PrimeTime)
This whole situation, as said many, many times, just defies logic. Figures it has to be OUR team that drafted this moron. I would be honored to merely touch the grass of the stick...let alone play on it, and get paid millions for it.

Anyone heard anything about his indorsements? I know he signed with nike for 10 million...with the expectation of him playing...Can they recoup that money? they must be sweating right now too. As each day passes, and he looks more and more like a tool...I imagine they are getting antcy to pull his indorsement loot.

There are more WR's who came out of College as star's but in the NFL simply could not get "seperation" in the NFL with one factor being poor 40 yard times. Yes, there are exceptions as you noted above. There is zero guarantee Craptree is a Boldin or Fitzgerald, and zero guarantee that Craptree ain't a J.J. Stokes or Rashaun Woods.

IF 40 times Do Not Matter, as you claim.... then explain WHY they matter in the NFL combine and more importly WHY they matter to NFL Teams?

I think the difference is during the combine, teams are trying to gage players against one another. So if you have two equal receiver as far as physical measurables. You move on to 40 times. Now just because a player runs faster doesn't mean he is plays faster. Players such as those mentioned above are quick rather than fast. They run great routes or have great hands.
Originally posted by dugo:
I doubt Crabtree is gonna sign with the 9ers. He doesn't want to play for us bottom line. For him to be sitting back and not respond to any requests for a sit down with Jed York his boss, is one clue. That invite went out last week, if we heard about it, so has he. Another clue is his unwillingness to negotiate in anyway shape or form. So far its his way or he's not signing. Yet another clue is that he's willing to sit out the season and re-enter the draft. Everyone and their pappy is saying that will ruin any NFL career he may have. But I don't believe he's that stupid. I know its been talked about to death but some other team MUST have promised him a better contract than whats been offered by the 9ers. What other leverage could this stubborn kid have in order to shine on his boss, be unwilling negotiate, and throw away a full eligible NFL season? All that being said I'd still would like to see him in a niner uniform. But to me its looking like its not going to happen. I say let him go!! Its his loss.

he and his agent have a deal in mind and they already talked to the Cowboys about it , Crabs**t wants to play in Texas and that it. Jones probley promised him somthing that he wants. If he wants to play for us you have to talk to the owner when he asks for a meating unless you don't want to work for him !

NFL teams put WAY too much stock in 40 times.

Look at the number of 1st round pick that are taken based on a 40 time who completely flop and then a guy who didn't get a great time gets taken in the 3rd and is called a "steal".

While Crabtree may not be superfast, he is very quick and sudden.

I don't think separation will be an issue. I saw him beat guys at the line on a regular basis in college. How? QUICKNESS.

Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by mac707g:

you dont know that Crabtrees camp hasnt responded, hell we just found out the other day that we sent the letter last week requesting a sit down.

Yes we do. MM and Barrows have said as recently as yesterday that the Niners haven't heard anything back from $$$tree's side.

valrod33 knows this.... he simply enjoys being a thorn in folks posts

and here clearly playing the clown.

im laughing cuz i didnt even know you were the one i was quoting, and no i didnt know that mm and them reported that, even if crabtrees camp does respond i doubt the niners will let anybody know cuz of the huge circus that would show up

You "not knowing" is no surprise.

Wow that and the clown comment may be the death of you.....

Oh well

Don't agree with you.... but I bet YOU would jump for joy if it did happen, huh.

So idiotic people like Al Davis will draft DHB instead of the better player because he didn't run a 40 at the combine. They only matter to NFL teams to gauge some sort of speed for the player in a straight line. If the same receiver shows the ability to run polished routes and doesn't drop balls and can block downfield, they aren't going to care what his 40 time is.

You act like it's the main metric in justifying whether or not a receiver can gain separation. Sorry to tell you but it's not. Plenty of receivers who run 4.6's and 4.7's can gain separation in the NFL and have gone on to have really good careers.

I don't give half a s**t what Crabtree runs in the 40. Have you looked at his college games? Did you ever watch him play at all? There is a ton more to him than one metric at the combine. Could he be a bust? Sure, but so could every last pick in the draft. No one should say the Niners shouldn't sign him just because no one knows what his 40 time is. That's just absolutely ridiculous.
When oh when, i....we cAn hAs cRaBs
  • dugo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cNiner:
Originally posted by dugo:

he and his agent have a deal in mind and they already talked to the Cowboys about it , Crabs**t wants to play in Texas and that it. Jones probley promised him somthing that he wants. If he wants to play for us you have to talk to the owner when he asks for a meating unless you don't want to work for him !

Absolutely!! Something is up, has to be. Nobody is gonna throw all that has been offered away without having something better in place.
Forget Crabtree! Sign P Willis to an extension and use the bonus money for 2009 cap.

Try and get anything for Crabs after March 1st! Even a 2nd if need be....better than getting nothing and it will save the Niners money in the long run.

Then draft best available Safety, Wide Reciever, Def Tackle, Right Tackle, or OLB.
Share 49ersWebzone