LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 219 users in the forums

When does Scotty M get the boot?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by miked1978:
You fairweather fans kill me. You guys would have called for his head if he didn't draft Crabtree at #10. Hell we would have been the laughing stock of the draft if we passed on Crabs. He also got us 2 first rounders last year.

Actually no, I was calling for his head when he didn't get us a pass rush. Ever. "We would have been the laughing stock if we passed on Crabs"? Well what do you think we HAVE been? When the opposing QB has time for a 7-step drop, grab his cell phone and order a pizza, AND check the scores of the other games? Do you remember the last time we were in the Playoffs? Who cares what Mel Kiper the so-called draft experts think we "should do". The last I checked, NONE of them were running an NFL team. I wonder why that is?

And to the people that say "he got us 2 first round picks NEXT year", that's great. I'm glad to be so excited about next year, while having to wallow through yet another year of mediocrity. This team used to be about WINNING...not settling for "next year"...year after year.
Originally posted by RDB4216:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Some of the late rounders have worked out well, yes...but many of the early rounders haven't. Mu biggest problem though, is the players he loses out on and passes over for others. He may have a "plan", but it makes no sense most of the time. He lacks creativity, and does not see the big picture.

Personally, I will never forgive him for missing out when we could have had Rey Maualuga so easily in the 2nd round this year. Sigh. The thoughts of Willis & Maualuga dominating the middle of the field and wreaking havoc for the next decade...

Maualuga went five picks ahead of us in the 2nd round. We didn't need to be trading up for a TED.

Look at how easily some teams traded up in the 1st round, without giving up much. 49ers said they traded out of the 2nd because there were no players of value they wanted at that spot. They also said that two players they DID want (presumably Ron Brace and Maualuga) went in the 6 picks before us. It was obvious that the Pats were looking at Brace, so now as a GM, you know there are FIVE teams in front of you that might take the ONE player you think is a good value there. You don't yet know that the Panthers will offer a trade when the time comes...so the smart move is to trade up to take the player you want. We could have moved up that bit for a 5th rounder, maybe less. But no...instead we sat on our thumbs, and let the draft dictate to us what we would do. I remember a time when that was reversed.

Looking at the trade value chart it would have taken no less than our 4th rounder to get up to the mid-late 30's for Maualuga . . . which is the same pick (along with #43) we shipped to Carolina for their 2010 #1.

I've got no problem with how that worked out.
You fairweather fans kill me. You guys would have called for his head if he didn't draft Crabtree at #10. Hell we would have been the laughing stock of the draft if we passed on Crabs. He also got us 2 first rounders last year.

first off he wouldnt've beent the laughing stock. 9 teams passed on crabtree for a reason. crabtree was & is not the best player in the draft. plus remember on draft day, none of the anaylists thought we needed crabtree. 2 carolina approached us with the trade & THEY OFFERED US THEIR FIRST ROUND PICK!
Out of all these years of Niners sucking we should probably have a little more talent on this team than we do.
How many drafts has Scott even done as the sole GM? 2?

Why don't we give him some time before we start talking about firing the guy.

• 9er2k
  • Veteran
Originally posted by HessianDud:
How many drafts has Scott even done as the sole GM? 2?

Why don't we give him some time before we start talking about firing the guy.

No and this is why.Everyone blames Nolan and says he had total control but I don't buy that when it came to the draft.Scotty was the one scouting and giving all the input on which players to draft and I am quite sure he was the one calling the shots on draft days so IMO he has had plenty of time.
I don't think Scott gets fired this year. His # 1 priority for this team is find a long term solution to the QB problem.Is Nate Davis the answer? Maybe but we won't find out for a couple of years. A close #2 on his priority is get a pass rusher for this defense. If he fails to do this over the next couple of years or if he finds inadequate talent to help in these areas then yeah he would be fired.I just don't think it happens this year especially with 2 #1's next year.
Scotty's days are probably numbered but I think that he gets 1 more draft to prove himself.
The guy should have been axed with Nolan. It has been a horrendous off season. How about the latest gem from him:

"What's a couple months when you're talking about a 5 or 6 year contract?"

That is absurd.
Originally posted by ginseng1000:
How much longer should we keep Scotty?

When they hire you as GM, Mr. Donahue.

Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Some of the late rounders have worked out well, yes...but many of the early rounders haven't. Mu biggest problem though, is the players he loses out on and passes over for others. He may have a "plan", but it makes no sense most of the time. He lacks creativity, and does not see the big picture.

Personally, I will never forgive him for missing out when we could have had Rey Maualuga so easily in the 2nd round this year. Sigh. The thoughts of Willis & Maualuga dominating the middle of the field and wreaking havoc for the next decade...

Maualuga went five picks ahead of us in the 2nd round. We didn't need to be trading up for a TED.

Look at how easily some teams traded up in the 1st round, without giving up much. 49ers said they traded out of the 2nd because there were no players of value they wanted at that spot. They also said that two players they DID want (presumably Ron Brace and Maualuga) went in the 6 picks before us. It was obvious that the Pats were looking at Brace, so now as a GM, you know there are FIVE teams in front of you that might take the ONE player you think is a good value there. You don't yet know that the Panthers will offer a trade when the time comes...so the smart move is to trade up to take the player you want. We could have moved up that bit for a 5th rounder, maybe less. But no...instead we sat on our thumbs, and let the draft dictate to us what we would do. I remember a time when that was reversed.

I think the smart thing is to do what he did. If one of the players falls to you, you take him. If not, you trade for a future first round pick. No need to give anything up. One thing is for sure: you won't be b***hing if that pick turns into a solid 1st rounder next year.
i say this is his last year. outside of gore and willis and maybe a few others out of all the years he has had (even with MN) he hasn't produced that much. and he is not addressing crucial areas such as QB and Dline. He needs to face facts about the QB situation and do something. Admit mistake and move one. But he didn't do that. His first few drafts he got some strange projects in middle rounds that have done nothing and are out the leage. i'm no expert and dont know all that goes into these decisions so its hard to say. but i guess i dont have the faith in him/believe his drafting prowess like say the GM in atlanta.

i'll be the one to say it, i wanna see Shanny in SF next year. I wanna see the west coast back in well the west coast. I wanna see a smaller Oline man that can do what we used to do. I wanna see some good coaching and development of players by coaches that know their Xs & Os. I wanna see some freaking progress. I feel like we have turned into settling for next year and this mediocraty. i have hope for this team, but not that feeling of perpetual competitivness and contention for playoff spots. fix this s**t man. and i dont see Scotty doing what I mention above.

Personal attacks will get you warned every time........
Originally posted by WINiner:

That's not a personal attack. At best it is a general attack, and that's stretching it since it isn't even an attack.

Calling someone fair weather is expressing an opinion about their fandom. You feel as if your fan hood has been questioned?
Originally posted by WINiner:

Personal attacks are lame, but just burn this place down if THAT's a warnable post
Share 49ersWebzone