LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 221 users in the forums

Start Walker

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Walker is a good playmaker, but he's isn't a very good blocker. As such, he's always going to be a situational type of TE.
While Walker has made some plays at TE, he's gotten almost as many looks as Davis has. His only production in preseason came in the second half against backups (the same backups that everyone blast Nate Davis and Kory Sheets for looking good against)

Plus to say bench Vernon now, when he's had his best camp and preseason of his career, and was such a dominant blocker that he made it as a Pro Bowl alternate is just rediculous.

It's called 2 TE sets.... we run them alot.... look it up
[ Edited by 49oz2superbowl on Aug 25, 2009 at 11:48 AM ]
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Objection

Davis is one of the best blocking tight ends in the game with our emphasis this year on the running game this would be a dumb idea, and plus Davis to me anyway has looked pretty good in the preseason catching the ball

If Davis is one of the best blocking TE in the game, then he is just a better Billy Bajema. Delanie Walker is a better playmaker until Vernon proves otherwise.

Based on . . . .???

Its obviously based on his 2 career touchdowns

What's his minutes played? I'm not saying Delanie SHOULD start, but that you can argue it because he has done only good things when thrown the ball. Vernon, on the other hand, has been a disappointment.

My NinerBro, are you serious?

There is a reason why Davis is starting and Walker is not. He's not done ONLY good things. Walker has also failed and with some dropsies as well.

The post is "Start Walker".

Hell no to that in droves!!!! Get him in with Davis, but not start.
nope, he's just fine where he is...
Objection

Davis is one of the best blocking tight ends in the game with our emphasis this year on the running game this would be a dumb idea, and plus Davis to me anyway has looked pretty good in the preseason catching the ball

If Davis is one of the best blocking TE in the game, then he is just a better Billy Bajema. Delanie Walker is a better playmaker until Vernon proves otherwise.

Based on . . . .???

Based on just about every opportunity he gets. He doesn't ruin his opportunities and has been doing things asked of him since he's been here. He is also very effective after the catch.

So, what has Vernon done?

I think DW is underutilized and a tremendous talent, but Vernon has shown himself to be a better playmaker thus far. Please don't confuse this with me saying that VD IS already a playmaker, because he is not there yet.

Frankly, DW needs more opportunities before I can declare him the chosen one.
I like Delanie Walker, but he shouldnt start over Vernon Davis, I like when we bring him in for 2 TEs sets, gives us another option, but other than that, he is not a better overall TE like Vernon

Hill and Vernon have looked good together this preseason, Hill gives the recievers a chance to make plays when they catch the ball. Thats why im thinking Vernon is gonna have his "breakout" year, im thinking he is gonna get 10+ Tds this year

Lets Go Niners
We don't need to turn benching 1st round draft picks into an epidemic.

Anyway, Singletary seems to have pegged Vernon to be a team leader.
Dum idea, give me a break. Walker can and will be used in a two tight end set like he should be. He is not a starting TE but a good back up pass catching TE.
Just for esses and gees -

DW = 38 games played (13 started), 33 receptions, 359 yards and 2 TDs.
VD = 40 games played (38 started), 103 receptions, 1,132 yards and 9 TDs.
Objection

Based on . . . .???

Based on just about every opportunity he gets. He doesn't ruin his opportunities and has been doing things asked of him since he's been here. He is also very effective after the catch.

I think DW is underutilized and a tremendous talent, but Vernon has shown himself to be a better playmaker thus far. Please don't confuse this with me saying that VD IS already a playmaker, because he is not there yet.

Also, given we're going to be running a whole lot, it'd be best to keep VD in to help with blocking. I think we're going to be running a whole lot of 2TE sets (purely based on what I've seen from Jimmy in the past), so DW will certainly get his chances.

Originally posted by father49er:
Objection

Based on . . . .???

Also, given we're going to be running a whole lot, it'd be best to keep VD in to help with blocking. I think we're going to be running a whole lot of 2TE sets (purely based on what I've seen from Jimmy in the past), so DW will certainly get his chances.

I sure hope so! I think that would be a good use of our talent. This is what I was fired up about last year with MM, though, so I'm keeping my expectations low.
i think it'd be nice to seem him as the 4th WR in a spread formation and get him to crackdown on a LB or just steamroll a DB. but to answer the original question, no. we shouldnt start him. i loved him in college, and yes it makes sense he has great hands, he was a WR. i think getting him out there would provide an advantage whether against a nickel/dime CB(size) or against a LB(speed).
It is complicated, but worth talking about. Walker is a great catcher/receiving tight end and it is obvious when he is in there cause HE MAKES PLAYS and looks flawless. On the other hand Davis is a badass blocker. I guess my response would be; it depends on what the niners are going to do, run or pass. Davis wins cause of Raye's offense system.
Say it ain't so, Joecool... say it ain't so!!!

• boast
  • Hella Fame
what!

jesus.

Share 49ersWebzone