LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 225 users in the forums

Is getting pressure just as good as a sack?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 9erluv415:
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
pressure can cause turnovers. sacks are good too but constant pressure is good for interceptions

Bingo!!!

are you saying that sacks dont cause turnovers? let me think quaterbacks have been known to fumble while getting sacked
Pressure is good, but sacks are better.
Let's face it teams don't get very many sacks in a game therefore it is more important to get those pressures on a more regular bases with some nice hits thrown in. Maybe a team gets 4 sacks in a game so I would rather have the pressures assuming that you are truly harrassing the QB. Good defenses get pressure consistent enough to be disruptive. IMHO
Yes. Forces turnovers elsewhere, ints, etc.
It depends on the quarterback you are sacking/pressuring. A few QBs can handle the pressure, a couple even seem to be better when under pressure and forced to make plays on the move. The average QB does not handle pressure and given enough of it, it can affect their play the entire game, which can be better than a sack, especially when the QB in question is so nervous he forgets his mechanics and reads, which will lead to a lot of 3 and outs and maybe an interception or two. So from an entire game standpoint, consistent pressure may be better than a sack. However, from a single play perspective, unless the pressure results in an interception, I think a sack is definitely better. In addition to the negative yardage, a sack is a very good way to take/keep/build upon momentum. Nothing pumps up the crowd and the other players on the team than a good hard hitting sack. And certain pass rushers, like Dwight Freeney for the Colts, also have a knack for stripping the ball from the QB’s hands during a sack. And that not only gets you the chance for a turnover, but can and often is demoralizing to the entire offense, not just the QB.
Pressure >>>>>>>> Sacks

Sacks =
1. about a 5 yard loss
2. loss of down
3. more money to pay to the sack leader

Pressure =
1. tipped balls
2. INTS
3. dear in headlights QB
4. scared QB
5. QB that doesn't trust his line
6. less sacks and less money to pay
7. scrambling QB
8. makes our defense look better and more crazy to the offense
the only time pressure is as good as getting a sack is when you force a 3 and out. you get a interception or you get a good hit on the qb even if it is late! that's my input!
Unless the pressure creates a turnover, I'll take the loss of down and yards.
  • Nabisko
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by wysiwyg:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Hitting the QB 20 times a game, is better than getting 4 sacks a game.
All good points. Some cool quarterbacks aren't that phased by pressure...you need to get him on the ground.

Originally posted by adrenaline:
All good points. Some cool quarterbacks aren't that phased by pressure...you need to get him on the ground.

Says who. Brady got rattled bigtime by Pittsburgh and SD. Do did Peyton Manning. The only way to beat these QBs is with pressure and making them throw it when they don't want to.
  • SANDMAN
  • Info N/A
They are just two different things, each one has its benefits.

Pressure is good because it can cause a QB to make a bad throw and lead to an interception or at the very least an incompeletion.

Sacks on the other hand are great too becuase of the loss of yardage but also for the energy it brings to the defense. Plus you get to put a hurting on the opposing QB.

If I had to chose one, I'd take sacks. Something about hurting the QB is just so appealing.

Originally posted by adrenaline:

Almost all QB's respond to the type of pressure where they are taking hits or they are being stripped ..... I would agree that if a team is only getting the kind of pressure where we were almost on the QB but he got rid of the ball then yes you are coming up short.
Pressure typically is a good thing. What kills me is when the 49ers get great pressure on the QB, yet the QB will still find a way to complete a pass. Those type of plays are the heartbreakers. Ray McDonald is back which should help. He was second on the team in QB pressures behind Justin Smith. Parys Haralson surprisingly was 3rd on the team in qb pressures.
Originally posted by BasharCali49:
Pressure typically is a good thing. What kills me is when the 49ers get great pressure on the QB, yet the QB will still find a way to complete a pass. Those type of plays are the heartbreakers. Ray McDonald is back which should help. He was second on the team in QB pressures behind Justin Smith. Parys Haralson surprisingly was 3rd on the team in qb pressures.

Those are all blamed on Roman and the dumb Nolan game plan.
Share 49ersWebzone