There are 204 users in the forums

Is getting pressure just as good as a sack?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Help me with a friendly debate with a fellow football fan.

If you are able to rush the QB and get pressure on him enough to either, throw an INT, throw an incomplete pass, or check down, is that not just as good as getting a sack?

I understand the loss of yardage and possible turnovers but just because you don't end up on the stat sheet as a sack, just as long as the punter is on the field, what is the difference?
Rather get constant pressure then a few sacks a game.

Sacks =/ pressure.
If you can force the opposition into 4th downs and possible turnovers, who cares what the stats are?
pressure can cause turnovers. sacks are good too but constant pressure is good for interceptions
Putting a hurt on the QB can change the game. Sacks matter.
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Yes.

I was having this discussion the other day with a Redskins fan.

I believe that one of the worst moves Mike Nolan made was to trade away Andre "Step-Away" Carter. Carter was a guy who was always one or two steps away from a sack, but always was consistently in the backfield when he was here. Thus, his numbers were never impressive, but his impact on the team was very underrated.

And after stupidly rying to convert him into a 3-4 OLB , Mike Nolan traded him away for scraps and have been searching for an effective pass rusher since.
Originally posted by 49ersBest1:
Putting a hurt on the QB can change the game. Sacks matter.

You can put a hurt on the QB and not actually sack him.
Originally posted by Reckless:
Help me with a friendly debate with a fellow football fan.

If you are able to rush the QB and get pressure on him enough to either, throw an INT, throw an incomplete pass, or check down, is that not just as good as getting a sack?

I understand the loss of yardage and possible turnovers but just because you don't end up on the stat sheet as a sack, just as long as the punter is on the field, what is the difference?

You forget that he can also get a completion with pressure and maybe even a big play, with a sack there is no way that can happen. because the play is over
i think it depends on who the qb is pressure is nothing to some qbs but most if u can put that fear in em get an int or 2 thats great but they need to get a the qb to the ground or that fear will go
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
No, because you can still gash a defense even if you are pressured. A sack is a guaranteed negative play.

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Hitting the QB 20 times a game, is better than getting 4 sacks a game.
Originally posted by Kolohe:

yes
20 a game is alot to ask out of our team. But with ray mac comin back (hope hes good an healed up) we should get more pressure he was second on the team last year in pressure with 37 of em. but dline is real hard to play and if he stays healtthy i think he could be up there with smith in the 50's then hed be a star in my book.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
  • Dino
  • Veteran
I'd say yes
Share 49ersWebzone