LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 305 users in the forums

Implications of a 16-point offense?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by B650:
It sort of matters because the past few years it seems our mentality was to just keep the game close. With that mentality you end up with a lot of close losses. See MNF last year @ Arizona. So yeah, being able to win by a large margin is better than hoping to win by a FG every game. Anything can happen in the NFL. You don't want to play games and decide them in the final seconds. I don't think the 80s and 90's 49ers thought, "Hmm. Let's try to keep it close. If we win by 3 or 20, it doesn't matter." They tried to destroy their opponents. If you aim for a blowout, sometimes you fail and only win by 3. If you aim to win by a FG, sometimes you fail and lose by 2 touchdowns. My point is, I think it does matter how we play, what our mentality is, and how many points we win by.

If you are referring to my post, I was not saying "it doesn't matter how we play", I meant it doesn't matter what's been done in years past. Different coach, different coordinator, different mindset.

Nobody wants to gameplan to win by 3 points. That's foolish. The object is to score on every drive, every possession. Nolan's gameplanning included winning by 3 points, which in turn is coaching "not to lose". I seriously doubt that's what Sing and Raye are preaching.

Singletary's coaching philosophy, I believe, is to wear the opponent down with a heavy, properly executed rushing attack, to set up the pass. To not turn the ball over and to play aggressive defense and force turnovers. If the 49ers can come close to accomplishing these basic fundamental goals, I doubt if many games will be very "close".

There is no substitute for a hard-nosed rushing attack. Opponents will be on their knees by the 4th quarter, ESPECIALLY teams in our division.
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
It sort of matters because the past few years it seems our mentality was to just keep the game close. With that mentality you end up with a lot of close losses. See MNF last year @ Arizona. So yeah, being able to win by a large margin is better than hoping to win by a FG every game. Anything can happen in the NFL. You don't want to play games and decide them in the final seconds. I don't think the 80s and 90's 49ers thought, "Hmm. Let's try to keep it close. If we win by 3 or 20, it doesn't matter." They tried to destroy their opponents. If you aim for a blowout, sometimes you fail and only win by 3. If you aim to win by a FG, sometimes you fail and lose by 2 touchdowns. My point is, I think it does matter how we play, what our mentality is, and how many points we win by.

If you are referring to my post, I was not saying "it doesn't matter how we play", I meant it doesn't matter what's been done in years past. Different coach, different coordinator, different mindset.

Nobody wants to gameplan to win by 3 points. That's foolish. The object is to score on every drive, every possession. Nolan's gameplanning included winning by 3 points, which in turn is coaching "not to lose". I seriously doubt that's what Sing and Raye are preaching.

Singletary's coaching philosophy, I believe, is to wear the opponent down with a heavy, properly executed rushing attack, to set up the pass. To not turn the ball over and to play aggressive defense and force turnovers. If the 49ers can come close to accomplishing these basic fundamental goals, I doubt if many games will be very "close".

There is no substitute for a hard-nosed rushing attack. Opponents will be on their knees by the 4th quarter, ESPECIALLY teams in our division.

so people keep saying. Meanwhile one side of that argument is what 7-0 now? vs 0-7.
Originally posted by danimal:

so people keep saying. Meanwhile one side of that argument is what 7-0 now? vs 0-7.

Read the sentence right after the one you bolded.
Originally posted by jimbagg:
"So, here's the deal now...."

Can this be a playoff team with a 16-point-per-game offense? It sure looks to me that most games are going to be very close to a single offensive TD and 3 Nedney field goals, Time-of-possession will likely exceed 30 minutes, somewhat limiting the opponent's offensive plays. But unless the club comes up with a defensive or special teams TD, bumping the overall points to the 23 PPG category, 16 PPG will likely have to do.

Personally, I don't think that 16 PPG from the offense will get the club beyond a 7-9 or 8-8 record. I just don't see a passing offense, without a fully healthy and practiced Jones and Crabtree. Playing catch-up, which will have to be done on occasion, doesn't look realistic. The QB and WR are he same ol', same ol'.

I'm not worried about the D, but the apparent lack of a balanced offense looks like the club's Achilles heel to me. I don't believe that the club is "holding back" offensively in these exhibitions. What you see is what you're going to get with Jimmy Raye at the helm. Anyone else feeling offensively challenged?

that's why we drafted CRAP ! but he stinks a don't want to sign so f**k him !

yeah I read it, then dismissed it.

I think you over estimate "mindset", and what 2 unaccomplised coaches bring to a failing franchise.

But we shall see soon enough won't we.

Mindset...lol...what are the other 31 teams thinking about? Ponies and Bubblegum??

yeah I read it, then dismissed it.

I think you over estimate "mindset", and what 2 unaccomplised coaches bring to a failing franchise.

But we shall see soon enough won't we.

Mindset...lol...what are the other 31 teams thinking about? Ponies and Bubblegum??

They will be thinking of ways to stop the bleeding. You shouldn't dismiss what mindset, attitude and proper execution can bring to a "failing franchise". Teams do indeed rise from ashes, whether you think they're making the right decisions or not. The 49er teams have not been coached in the past 7 years like they are now, whether you think the coaches are qualified or not.

But you are right about one thing though, we will see.
if we only score 16 ppg I can care less as long as the other team gets less than that
Originally posted by backontop:
if we only score 16 ppg I can care less as long as the other team gets less than that

That's all that matters.

That's all that matters.

that will only happen if we can s**t out a pass rush and beg N. Clements to stop getting his ankles broke on double moves

That's all that matters.

that will only happen if we can s**t out a pass rush and beg N. Clements to stop getting his ankles broke on double moves

The pass rush will be there. That's been a main focus of the defense pretty much the entire TC. It's nearly impossible to believe that they are going to tip their hand at all during the preseason.

Good 3-4 teams are not always known for being leaders in sacks, mainly pressures that = turnovers, not to mention a strong rush defense.
[ Edited by AXEGRINDER on Aug 24, 2009 at 6:26 PM ]

• kray28
  • Veteran
Shouldn't have fired Martz.

That's all that matters.

The pass rush will be there. That's been a main focus of the defense pretty much the entire TC. It's nearly impossible to believe that they are going to tip their hand at all during the preseason.

Good 3-4 teams are not always known for being leaders in sacks, mainly pressures that = turnovers, not to mention a strong rush defense.

We will find out in a few weeks
Share 49ersWebzone