LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 225 users in the forums

Implications of a 16-point offense?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
we will not be a 16ppg offense, i hope you are not coming to this conclusion based on the preseason....i need a drink
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erfoeva:
Were gonna have a 15-point defense

I don't think so. No pass rush and Clements sometimes looks like he's on crack. I like Bly though. I hope the defense somehow manages to rush the passer because the entire season depends on it.
Originally posted by valrod33:
we will not be a 16ppg offense, i hope you are not coming to this conclusion based on the preseason....i need a drink

I would be willing to bet a thousand bucks the Niners have averaged something like 16 points a game over the past 5 regular seasons.

To all these pre-season minimalists...do you ever get tired of being proven wrong every year?

HA.

Its the same thing every August on here, and we won't hear these kinds of retorts again until next August.
Originally posted by danimal:

I would be willing to bet a thousand bucks the Niners have averaged something like 16 points a game over the past 5 regular seasons.

To all these pre-season minimalists...do you ever get tired of being proven wrong every year?

HA.

Its the same thing every August on here, and we won't hear these kinds of retorts again until next August.

NVM

Go Niners
[ Edited by valrod33 on Aug 24, 2009 at 2:09 PM ]
When the ravens won there superbowl run in 2000, they did it by 7 sometimes 3 points.
Too early to tell. Plus, remember that we got down to the redzone twice and only got a couple FGs. It should mean more points with a full set of starters.
They've only played two preseason games so far. I'm not ready to jump to any conclusions good or bad just yet.
I wouldnt say were gonna be an under 20pt team, ill put money on us being over 20. I say we average somewhere around 22-23 pts by seasons end. If the defense lives up to the hype, I dont see why we cant win games 24-17 instead of 13-10 like some people think. With the talent, and fresh legs of Gore, the addition of Coffe and another year for Morgan and Davis, we can be a sleeper on offense this year. In Shaun I trust, if not in Smith we will go
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersnum1:
I wouldnt say were gonna be an under 20pt team, ill put money on us being over 20. I say we average somewhere around 22-23 pts by seasons end. If the defense lives up to the hype, I dont see why we cant win games 24-17 instead of 13-10 like some people think. With the talent, and fresh legs of Gore, the addition of Coffe and another year for Morgan and Davis, we can be a sleeper on offense this year. In Shaun I trust, if not in Smith we will go

I'd say we're going to average close to 20 points a game. Averaging 23 a game seems a bit much, considering our QB issues at the moment and the fact Crabtree hasn't signed yet.
  • Nabisko
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by GoFD74:
Originally posted by 49wyztoscore:
Its the preseason. Gore hasn't played. Hell our first string hasn't played a full half yet so 16ppg means nothing. Our offense is better than it was last year, especially after Crabtree signs(which he will). Its the preseason. Just ask the Lions of last year how much numbers mean in the preseason.

Someone please pass me the special punch... Damn.. Look at the individual players in the preseason games, that is ALL preseason is about.. Don't read into anything too much. Untill week one, don't look into anything too much. If these so called problems still persist going into the regular season, then yeah flip out!! At that point then you will have a justified reason too.

No matter what your strategy as a team is, 16 points per game will not get you more than 6-8 wins. Even the best defenses often give up 20+ points.

However, I'm not too worried about our season. A consistent and powerful running game can do a lot for an offense. The key to our success though will be whether our QB's and WR's can make the most of the few passing plays. WR's have to catch the catchable balls and QB's have to make smart and quick decissions.

If that happens then we will be a 20+ point per game offense and a playoff contender.
Originally posted by danimal:

HA.

Yeah I agree. Pre-season stats usually don't mean anything, but weaknesses in the pre-season are usually weaknesses in the regular season too. If we have a hard time passing the ball in the pre-season it's not going to magically change during the season.
If you look at the lowest scoring teams in the league over the past 8-10 years, 16 ppg is squarely in the bottom 5 every year and there isn't a playoff team among them.
And I know you're only counting offensive scores there but your expectation of having an extra TD per game off special teams and defense is unrealistic too.

So to answer you question - Very unlikely we will make the playoffs if we average only 16 points per game on offense.
[ Edited by scopur49er on Aug 24, 2009 at 2:58 PM ]
This isn't Jim Hostler's offense, better coached and far more talent. We will score more than 16ppg, especially when our D is going to generate turnovers.

Being able to generate turnovers and not turning it back over is the key, I'm telling you. This comes down to the mentality Sing is teaching.

If we maul the other team with the run, not turn the ball over, control the clock and overall EXECUTE on every play, we will win games, whether it's 16 points, 38 points, or 10 points, I don't care.

People on this board need to see past vanilla PRESEASON gameplanning, and not assume what we do in preseason directly translates to the regular season, with the exception of running it down team's throats. What's been done in preseason and years past DOES NOT MATTER.
  • B650
  • Veteran
It sort of matters because the past few years it seems our mentality was to just keep the game close. With that mentality you end up with a lot of close losses. See MNF last year @ Arizona. So yeah, being able to win by a large margin is better than hoping to win by a FG every game. Anything can happen in the NFL. You don't want to play games and decide them in the final seconds. I don't think the 80s and 90's 49ers thought, "Hmm. Let's try to keep it close. If we win by 3 or 20, it doesn't matter." They tried to destroy their opponents. If you aim for a blowout, sometimes you fail and only win by 3. If you aim to win by a FG, sometimes you fail and lose by 2 touchdowns. My point is, I think it does matter how we play, what our mentality is, and how many points we win by.
[ Edited by B650 on Aug 24, 2009 at 3:23 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone