LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 243 users in the forums

Alex Smith on NFLN Wednesday

Shop Find 49ers gear online
At the end of the show Rich asked jaime and the other guy (baldiner I think) who will win the starting QB job in SF and they both said Hill.
Did anyone else see the very end the interview, when Rich Eisen asked Alex about Shaun Hill being a groomsmen at his wedding. Alex said he gave Hill alcohol as his gift. Rich suggested that Alex slip Shaun some during practice so he can win the starting QB job more easily. Alex then laughed it off!
Originally posted by Slash49:
Originally posted by billybonka:
Originally posted by DynastyPart2:
Just saw on NFLN that Alex Smith will be interviewed Wednesday.

They also said about Alex; "Who appears to have won that QB job".

Interesting...
nfl network appears to be the new fox news

Damn i miss Adam Schefter, Jason La Canfora sucks!!!!

What Adam Schefter left the NFLN??? I don't watch it all the time and noticed La Canfora the other day but didn't conect the dots... Where did Shefter go? He was always a really reliable source of information and thoughtful analysis.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BigMar:

Interesting...

Alex and Hill are running neck and neck in training camp. The interesting fact is Alex has not throw a ball in 1.5 seasons due to his injuries, but now healthy, even after a 1.5 year lay-off, is running neck & neck with Hill. That my friends is impressive!

However, the pre-season games will determine who starts this season.

It couldn't have anything to do with Hill not being that good, could it?
Originally posted by SF4EVA:
best part was later when they all asked who gonna be the starter. none of them said Alex!!

I think the funniest is when we finished the season and Sing said hill would not be the appointed starter, and has said the same thing over and over again, and thats our head coach speaking not sports reporters and analysts.

Now this s**t is the funnist
Yeah im pulling for Alex. We all know what we get with Shaun Hill, but Shaun has never WON a big game!!! His wins have been against 500 or below teams (rams x2, Bengals) or teams that have been on the downfall (Jets,Skins,Bills,Bucs). 7-3 from Hill I applause but would love to see Alex start, and succeed of course, and Hill be the great guy he is, and be a back up here in SF. Shaun is the perfect backup, can win you games when your starter is hurt and win the games your suppose to win. Smith IMO still has that potential that ive been waiting to blossom, and he has won some big games.. (06 SEAx2, DEN) and home opener vs AZ week 1 07. If he cant beat out Shaun Hill, then we are all in good hands with Shaun this season, and writes the end of Smiths chapter here in SF
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by BigMar:
Originally posted by thuglife619:
smith says he is happy to have a chance to quarterback the 49ers in 09. He says he did not expect to be in this position 5 years after he was drafted. Says he is good friends with hill.

If you are a true 9ers fan, here is the good news.....

even after Alex Smith sat out approx 1.5 seasons of active football due to injuries, now that he is once again healthy, Alex has ALREADY caught up to Q.B. Hill and is running neck and neck in the Q.B. competition, at least in training camp.

You have to be impressed, by a guy who sat out out 1.5 seasons of active football but ALREADY now is showing enough to clearly challenge Q.B. Hill who has been playing all along, right?

Alex has stepped up to the plate and caught up to Hill in training camp, there is a REAL Q.B. competition going on because Alex is making it happen.

Now the tell tale sign will be in the pre-season games....stay tuned!

To the underlined.

You know what, that's saying something. For the sake of this team's future, I'm rooting for Smith to succeed here. Him getting it done would mean so much to this team -- like, I don't think people realize the magnitude of that.

Smith succeeds -- and we truly have something strong to build on. We can then focus on developing Nate Davis as a back-up with Hill being a perfectly capable back-up in the meantime as well. Smith succeeding means we can continue to build our line AND focus on creating a monster defense.

Do people not see how much hinges on Smith's success. If we know we have a guy that can only get better, that will mean so much to our offense as it grows..

It's hard not to be irked by those who say, "I'd like him to succeed, but he WON'T. I KNOW it." -- No, no you don't. Wait and see. That's what I'm doing.

I think he's capable.

Dat's telling it like it really is... well said!
[ Edited by BigMar on Aug 13, 2009 at 10:06 AM ]
I didn't stay up long enough to watch the interview, but thanks for all the summaries. As far as who ends up winning the job, i must admit i'm subconsciously rooting for Smith, although the competition sounds so close to call... we'll just have to wait and see what the pre-season brings us. I have a feeling we'll know pretty quick who it's gonna be.
  • indianajim
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by fister30:
At the end of the show Rich asked jaime and the other guy (baldiner I think) who will win the starting QB job in SF and they both said Hill.

Last year Baldinger also predicted JTO would win the starting job and be really great.

Oh no. What am I going to do if NFL Network talking heads don't validate my opinion?

• Esco
  • Hall of Fame
I finally watched the interview. I think he did a good job, he seems more confident that usual. Here's to hoping the best man wins.

Originally posted by 49ersnum1:
Yeah im pulling for Alex. We all know what we get with Shaun Hill, but Shaun has never WON a big game!!! His wins have been against 500 or below teams (rams x2, Bengals) or teams that have been on the downfall (Jets,Skins,Bills,Bucs). 7-3 from Hill I applause but would love to see Alex start, and succeed of course, and Hill be the great guy he is, and be a back up here in SF. Shaun is the perfect backup, can win you games when your starter is hurt and win the games your suppose to win. Smith IMO still has that potential that ive been waiting to blossom, and he has won some big games.. (06 SEAx2, DEN) and home opener vs AZ week 1 07. If he cant beat out Shaun Hill, then we are all in good hands with Shaun this season, and writes the end of Smiths chapter here in SF

Originally posted by Esco:
I finally watched the interview. I think he did a good job, he seems more confident that usual. Here's to hoping the best man wins.

I agree. Alex looks like he's grown mentally. Now, if he can translate that onto the field, he can probably take the starting job.
Originally posted by TheChozen:
Originally posted by Esco:

I agree. Alex looks like he's grown mentally. Now, if he can translate that onto the field, he can probably take the starting job.

Can't say it enough.... these upcoming pre-season games will be tell tale on who should start the regular season.
Originally posted by Slash49:
Originally posted by billybonka:

Interesting...
nfl network appears to be the new fox news

Damn i miss Adam Schefter, Jason La Canfora sucks!!!!

He's been replaced permanently?? That sucks! La Canfora has no personality.
Share 49ersWebzone