LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 271 users in the forums

Mike Johnson OC

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by linkboy:
Originally posted by DynastyChile:
I think it's a great idea, but i don't see why everyone likes hiring extremely inexperienced people to such crucial positions. OC is the most important assistant coach job..do you remember when we gave it to Hostler cuz we thought he was ready for it and he knew Turner's system????

How about when Bellichick gave the OC job to McDaniels (a nobody at the time of his hire) after being the QB coach, he seemed to do a good job.

How do you think inexperienced coaches get to be experienced coaches, they get hired to crucial positions.

Mike Johnson is not Jim Hostler and its unfair to compare the two. Just because Hostler was a clueless moron, doesn't mean that Johnson will fail. The two are not mutually exclusive.

The day Singletary and his crew of ineptitude that is spearheaded by Raye is comparable to bill bellichick, sure.....promote Mike Johnson all you want.
We don't need another rookie OC to compliment another rookie HC
  • dj43
Originally posted by fryet:
Personally, I am happy with Raye as offensive coach, and would prefer to avoid the scenario where we replace another OC. Let's see what Alex Smith can do with a second year under the same coach. After our last debacle of promoting our QB coach to OC, I am hesitant to want to trust another QB coach with our offense. Also, keep in mind that Singletary won't be able to tutor the QB coach, so the chance of the rookie OC succeeding is not good.

I hate the idea of a new OC but Jimmy Raye is such a poor play caller that he must go.

Johnson may be the answer in that he would likely use the same system but bring more imagination to the offense.

Any system can work but it must have variety and direction. It must use deception and misdirection. Raye has none of these. He MUST go.
49ers Total Access: Episode #16

Watch the opening segment called "Football 101." Its an interview and how-to segment with QB coach Mike Johnson and QBs Alex Smith and Shaun Hill. Its about 5 minutes long.

[ Edited by PTulini on Dec 7, 2009 at 16:00:59 ]
Originally posted by marshniners24:
Yea i would agree the girls really love my Johnson

oh you said Mike Johnson

haha.. Mike Johnson is really great a qb coach! Thank you Mike Johnson!
I'd trade him for Jim Hostler any day.
Originally posted by Mospeed:
I'd trade him for Jim Hostler any day.

What?
Matt Barrows:

Quote:
Singletary on the long term plan involving QBs coach Mike Johnson: "I want to talk about the short-term plan right now."
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Originally posted by teeohh:
Originally posted by PTulini:
Quote:
Do you think play-calling would be much different if Mike Johnson were OC?

Matt Maiocco: One 49ers source: "He'd be more aggessive."

i think he will be the oc next season

+1

+2! Especially after yesterdays game calling. 12 total running plays?
Originally posted by global_nomad:
Originally posted by insanemike27:
i think you keep raye around atleast another year and see how he does when we fix that horrible offensive line. Don't keep raye any more than two years though, because if johnson makes a name for himself in the NFL someone else might try to snatch him up and we cannot under any circumstances let that happen.

Either way I think we need to celebrate the fact that the system will stay in tact next year. I wouldn't mind seeing Raye one more year with Johnson succeeding him in 2011.

LOL you wouldn't mind seeing Raye next yr? your crazy!

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Quote:

+1

Once again our OC merry-go-round!!!

I hate to say it and can't believe I am, but lets stick with Raye and Smith one more year. There will be a lot of time to crown Mike Johnson.
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pd24:
Quote:
The most logical successor is QBs coach Mike Johnson, who spent his year away from football last season completing his communications degree and learning more about the spread offense.

http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2009/11/49ers-need-continuity-on-offense.html

I think he is the man for the job.

Very interesting!

Nice....Just as long as the system is the same. Having a fresh young mind calling plays....
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Quote:

+1

Once again our OC merry-go-round!!!

I hate to say it and can't believe I am, but lets stick with Raye and Smith one more year. There will be a lot of time to crown Mike Johnson.

I agree. Raye should stay for atleast one more year. However, in my opinion, Mike Johnson is the OC of the future for the 49ers. If there's one area that Mike Singletary can improve over former HC Mike Nolan, it is to have a plan for the future.
Originally posted by Nes49:
Originally posted by pd24:
Quote:
The most logical successor is QBs coach Mike Johnson, who spent his year away from football last season completing his communications degree and learning more about the spread offense.

http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2009/11/49ers-need-continuity-on-offense.html

I think he is the man for the job.

Very interesting!

Nice....Just as long as the system is the same. Having a fresh young mind calling plays....

2nd!

I'd like to see MJ run the O with the same system, and maybe with a stronger O-line, a little more run mixed in.
I find it funny how everyone continues to think that if we can just get the right OC in place that our offense will be fine. Alex Smith's recent success tells you all you need to know about what makes an offense work in the NFL...hell, just look across the bay and you can see an even better example.

It's all about QB play, the talent he has around him and how he involves everyone and not really the OC or the system. Sure, some OCs are smarter, more clever or innovative than others, but not so much so that it really makes that much of a difference.

The real key is the QB. Now that Smith is playing well, our offense is playing well, and have no issue with Raye coming back or Johnson taking over. It really doesn't matter.
Share 49ersWebzone