There are 189 users in the forums

Are You A Holdout If You Don't Have A Contract?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Michael Crabtree doesn't have an existing contract to play for us this year. So how does that make him a holdout?

Isn't a "holdout" someone who has an existing contract but refuses to play for the agreed amount until he or she gets more? This is not the case with Crabtree.

Neither you nor I would set foot on a field without a proper contract and the protection that contract provides. He was considered by many to be the best player in the draft and he, like our beloved team are trying to get their best value.

Suck it up, be patient and wait, don't hate.
Originally posted by SanFranAddic:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Michael Crabtree doesn't have an existing contract to play for us this year. So how does that make him a holdout?

Isn't a "holdout" someone who has an existing contract but refuses to play for the agreed amount until he or she gets more? This is not the case with Crabtree.

Neither you nor I would set foot on a field without a proper contract and the protection that contract provides. He was considered by many to be the best player in the draft and he, like our beloved team are trying to get their best value.

Suck it up, be patient and wait, don't hate.

The term holdout means holding out for more money, period. If we're talking normal contract negotiations with offers and counter offers, you're right. If Crabtree and his agent have drawn a line in the sand, by saying "we won't come back to the table until you meet our demands" he's a hold out.
You are correct, the proper term for a draft pick that is not in camp is "unsigned."

While it is a semantics issue, unsigned is the proper term for the 27 first round picks who do not have a contract.

A player would not go to camp, until they have a signed contract, because the guaranteed money is their insurance policy.

While unpopular, I think this year is an aberration because next year will be an uncapped year. I have never seen so many first round picks not signed. It will hurt the niners, but also the other NFL teams who do not have their picked signed.
Yes, because he is holding out for more money than the #10 pick.
I would say anyone that isnt at camp due to any contract is a holdout. IMO
Should I return my Premier Crabtree jersey?
He is holding out of camp for more money. Thats a hold out anyway you cut it imho. Its just a rookie holdout.
Crabs will be fine. He'll soon get his money, whether it be number 10 money, or number 5 money, it shouldn't matter to us fans. the organization pays him the money, and i couldn't care less how much. Get the contract done, get the kid on the field with the the team that he so wants to be with.

What some people forget is how much crabs wants to be out there? Remember when Sing made him cry because he was practicing when he wasn't supposed to? the guy wants to play, and he will, and when he does, he'll make an impact, no matter how much money he makes....
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:

no, keep it because "FASHION" is his hobby/interest outside of football

[ Edited by billybonka on Jul 29, 2009 at 18:46:48 ]

No. Once the business is settled, and the ink is dry, all will be forgiven. Keep that jersey.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

No. Once the business is settled, and the ink is dry, all will be forgiven. Keep that jersey.

Correction...once he makes that 1st big TD, ALL will be forgiven.

Originally posted by SanFranAddic:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

Correction...once he makes that 1st big TD, ALL will be forgiven.

Yep. I remember when there was a lot of back and forth here about Vernon Davis being picked at 6. Then his first catch he took to the house and outran the entire tards defense and the tune changed.
Share 49ersWebzone