LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 241 users in the forums

Crabtree contract screwing up the top ten?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Crabtree has proven NOTHING in the NFL...he better get his silly butt into camp!
It is not like the niners have a shot at the super bowl this year. Let Crabtree be the last pick to sign, who cares. Give him number 10 money, if he does not like it, then he can hold out and re enter the draft.
If he wants to shoot himself in the foot, like other rookie hold-outs (Jamarcus Russell comes to mind), then let him do it. He is only hurting his own career. The 9ers have enough depth this year at WR not to be hurt too bad by his and his agent's greed.

This sure will not endear himself to the fans. Not a good start for someone who wants to be the #1 WR for the franchise.

[ Edited by RedWaltz24 on Jul 27, 2009 at 18:39:05 ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 9erred:
It is not like the niners have a shot at the super bowl this year. Let Crabtree be the last pick to sign, who cares. Give him number 10 money, if he does not like it, then he can hold out and re enter the draft.

He cannot re-enter the draft, we own his rights. Any team that wants him, is gonna have to give up picks or players equal to 1,300 points or 10th overall pick.
I'm gonna laugh if Darrius Hayward-Bey holds out for more money. He's lucky the raiders are idiots or he would be getting 2nd round money from any other team.

As soon as the raiders give DHB his contract, Crabtree will probably get a similar deal.

People need to stop panicking.
I really dont see how the #10 pick affects those picks ahead of him. Even if he is saying he wants more money. It doesnt matter, this is the same thing I have seen over and over. Troy Williamson wanted more money from the Vikes because they let thier clock expire and allowed 2 teams to pick ahead of them. Thus costing Williamson less money. Him and his agent wanted more but he didnt get it. Same with Aaron Rogers, He slipped way back in the draft and he wanted more money too because He thought he had a shot at going #1 overall so he deserved more. Bulls**t! You get paid where you get picked. Or you sit out all year and make nothing and cost yourself millions. He will sign for number 10 money in the end. He has to, he has no choice.

[ Edited by MadMartz on Jul 27, 2009 at 19:16:15 ]
Parker is scum, I say let Crabtree sit the whole year. We have plenty of WR that play ball this season. Let the lessons begin......
Crabtree can get bent. I still don't believe the drama queen label, but he's being a little b***h if these rumours are true.

I honestly do not expect him to produce until very late this year.
I have been saying it for years

There is a definate need for a rookie contract/tier for rookie contracts. It makes the league more competitive and above all pays the veterans in the league a more fair salary
Originally posted by MadMartz:
I really dont see how the #10 pick affects those picks ahead of him. Even if he is saying he wants more money. It doesnt matter, this is the same thing I have seen over and over. Troy Williamson wanted more money from the Vikes because they let thier clock expire and allowed 2 teams to pick ahead of them. Thus costing Williamson less money. Him and his agent wanted more but he didnt get it. Same with Aaron Rogers, He slipped way back in the draft and he wanted more money too because He thought he had a shot at going #1 overall so he deserved more. Bulls**t! You get paid where you get picked. Or you sit out all year and make nothing and cost yourself millions. He will sign for number 10 money in the end. He has to, he has no choice.

It really impacts the 7th, 8th and 9th picks, in particular. In a normal year, we'd typically see a similar contract for each player in their slot from the year before, plus a reasonable percentage increase. Crabtree is going to throw that all out.

So, if you are the agent for Raji, Monroe, DHB, you don't want to do the normal contract when Crabtree is asking for much more than the typical tenth overall contract. The last thing you want to see is your client, drafted earlier than Crab, receive a smaller contract.

Hence, the logjam above.

At the same time, Maybin's agent doesn't want to see a massive difference in contract numbers compared to Crabtree. So, he's in a tough spot.

The trickle down and trickle up effect is pretty large in the areas around Crabtree. That is why the Broncos are already beginning to bellyache, with their 12th overall selection not ready to sign.

Everyone is waiting for the first player to put pressure on their agent to sign. Once that happens, the ball will get rolling.

Originally posted by Kolohe:

He cannot re-enter the draft, we own his rights. Any team that wants him, is gonna have to give up picks or players equal to 1,300 points or 10th overall pick.

Are you sure that's how it works? Not that I dont believe you, I just wasn't sure if he could re-enter the draft or what the 9ers' options would be if he were to hold out all year. I really dont think it will come to that, but I'd hate to see us waste a draft pick.
Originally posted by IDontGetNaked:
Crabtree can get bent. I still don't believe the drama queen label, but he's being a little b***h if these rumours are true.

Why don't we wait until Michael Crabtree starts missing practices due to a contract dispute before we start talking sh*t about him?
Originally posted by forty9ers49:
Originally posted by Kolohe:

Are you sure that's how it works? Not that I dont believe you, I just wasn't sure if he could re-enter the draft or what the 9ers' options would be if he were to hold out all year. I really dont think it will come to that, but I'd hate to see us waste a draft pick.

Even if he could re-renter the draft next year (which he cannot), most teams would be hesitant to select him because of what would have gone down this year with his contract negotiations. He'd lose way more money holding out and being placed on a different team than he would if he were to accept #10 money,
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Says here he wants top 3 money
Originally posted by 49erRider:
His agent is a jackass.

his agent is acting on his behalf. or perhaps his agent is feeding some nonsense about what could be and he is dumb enough to buy into it. Either case, Id say they're both acting like a couple of donkeys.
Share 49ersWebzone