LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 352 users in the forums

Poll - How will Crab's Contract be resolved?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Poll - How will Crab's Contract be resolved?

Per PFT's article Clouds gather between Niners, Crabtree how do you see Crabtree's contract negotiations being resolved?

Clouds gather between Niners, Crabtree

[ Edited by 3rdGenNiner on Jul 26, 2009 at 09:35:45 ]
I'm hoping he is in camp on time so we can see him on the field sooner rather than later
I really don't care if he holds out - he'll be just damaging himself. We have good receivers to start the season - he wasn't going to start anyway.

I don't like players that think they deserve something before they have proved anything at all -- he hasn't even shown anything in off season work-outs.

The only problem is that if he holds out through camp he'll be so far behind he'll probably won't play hardly at all this year - and that is a waste of contract money too!
I'd like him in camp by next Saturday, but the Niners shouldn't feel compelled to overpay because the Raiders are stupid.

He should accept a contract based on his draft slot (maybe sweetened with a little extra guaranteed $$), then play his way into a mega-extension after two or three seasons.
Originally posted by HearstFan:
I really don't care if he holds out - he'll be just damaging himself. We have good receivers to start the season - he wasn't going to start anyway.

I don't like players that think they deserve something before they have proved anything at all -- he hasn't even shown anything in off season work-outs.

The only problem is that if he holds out through camp he'll be so far behind he'll probably won't play hardly at all this year - and that is a waste of contract money too!

This is definetly THE post. I hope to god we dont overpay anyone let alone Crabtree. If he wants to hold out i say let him. If he really does want to play as badly as everyone seemed to make it then hell tell his agent to get it done. Bottom line, hes in control..not his agent.

That being said theres still time and he just might get it done. heres hoping to it!
Signed by next week.......
P.s. "Crabs" is a dumb nickname.
Originally posted by ruthless49er:
Bottom line, hes in control..not his agent.

I don't think you understand how NFL players do business because.... they don't do business. They hire agents to do that. Agents are the ones who do the negotiating and whether you like to believe it or not, THEY are in control a lot more than you think.
Sign him at the 10th slot amount. He might hold out for a few days, but he'll come around. Besides, it's the second contract where they earn the big bucks and a protracted holdout isn't going to help that second contract figure.
With agent he has he could be a protracted holdout and it could get messy? Isn't Eugene Parker his agent? If I'm right that guy holds a lot of his clients out! Let's hope I'm wrong and he is in on time?

[ Edited by 49ERGLENN on Jul 26, 2009 at 13:06:17 ]
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by HearstFan:

Why isn't there a rookie salary cap? The only one against it are rookies and their agents.

Originally posted by 49ERGLENN:
With agent he has he could be a protracted holdout and it could get messy? Isn't Eugene Parker his agent? If I'm right that guy holds a lot of his clients out! Let's hope I'm wrong and he is in on time?

yeah he does but oh well this is not an individual but a team sport so we already have alot of promising WR's but I should would like Crabtree to be in a mix.
I think itll end with a mike singletary hit to eugene parkers face... err thats what i hope anyway.
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by ruthless49er:
Bottom line, hes in control..not his agent.

I don't think you understand how NFL players do business because.... they don't do business. They hire agents to do that. Agents are the ones who do the negotiating and whether you like to believe it or not, THEY are in control a lot more than you think.

lol had to get a little dig in didnt you. haha its all good. I never said he does the buisness side of it. I did say hes in control. Which is completely true. If Crabtree instructed his agent to hammer out a contract and get him to Training camp no matter what, his agent would have no choice but to compromise.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
If it were me, I'd sign him to a DHB size contract. In the end I think he'll end up with that anyway. It likely will just be days or weeks later than when i'd do it.

If DHB doesn't sign in time. I'd just give Crabtree #7 money with the usual % increase. But that's just me.

I understand the risk you coyuld possibly run with other players years down the line. But I have a feeling there will be some kind of rookie salary cap with the next CBA. Not too mention as I said it's going to be #7 money anyway.
  • NinersCluebat
  • Info N/A
I do not know how the issue will be resolved all I know is that rookie wideouts historically take a while to get going in pro-offenses and if he is not in camp then it will hurt his development and the team.
Share 49ersWebzone