LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 321 users in the forums

How Alex Smith Compares to Terry Bradshaw

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by D_Niner:
Originally posted by PTulini:
All I'm trying to say is that Terry Bradshaw is a perfect example for how Alex could rebuild his career with the 49ers!

But why stop at Bradshaw? I could show how Steve Young sucked in the beginning of his career and then turned one of the best QB's ever; or, we could go the Joe Montana route...

The point is that Alex is not Terry, Steve, or Joe. He is Alex. If he turns out to be great then awesome. If he continues down his current path though...

My point is that Bradshaw stayed with the Steelers for his whole career. Similar to what Alex Smith is attempting to do with the 49ers. He could have left, but Alex wanted to stay because he has something to prove! Only after Terry became more mentally focused and driven, did he begin to rebuild his career. (Sound familiar to someone we're hearing about now?)
[ Edited by PTulini on Jul 7, 2009 at 1:12 PM ]
I like to compare Alex Smith to Tommy Maddox.

Maybe he'll go play in the UFL for a year and then come back to the NFL when he's 34 to have one good season.
Originally posted by D_Niner:
All I'm trying to say is that Terry Bradshaw is a perfect example for how Alex could rebuild his career with the 49ers!

But why stop at Bradshaw? I could show how Steve Young sucked in the beginning of his career and then turned one of the best QB's ever; or, we could go the Joe Montana route...

The point is that Alex is not Terry, Steve, or Joe. He is Alex. If he turns out to be great then awesome. If he continues down his current path though...

My point is that Bradshaw stayed with the Steelers for his whole career. Similar to what Alex Smith is attempting to do with the 49ers. He could have left, but Alex wanted to stay because he has something to prove! Only after Terry became more mentally focused and driven, did he begin to rebuild his career. (Sound familiar to someone we're hearing about now?)

Look, I hope the kid does well too; but, Alex is not Terry. Alex is Alex. As of yet, he has failed to show he can be a good QB in this league.
Give them enough rope, right? Well, I see where P went with this thread in the fact that both Terry and Alex had horrible starts to their careers. I give P more credit on his football intelligence and don't assume he means Mr. Bradshaw's entire career.

Give me a break, guys. You can spin it all you want to, but in no way was P ever making a complete career to career comparison as Alex has only played two of his four years completely with 3 games into his third. Instead, it is a similar start comparison and that is all.

This is definitely a case where both Apples and Billy saw another opportunity to voice their opinion on Alex which is the same...so be it. We get it.

To be honest, P, I think this topic is so volatile that if Alex farted it would be compared to Terry's greatness....sheez....

I do see your point though.
Originally posted by ninertico:
Give them enough rope, right? Well, I see where P went with this thread in the fact that both Terry and Alex had horrible starts to their careers. I give P more credit on his football intelligence and don't assume he means Mr. Bradshaw's entire career.

Give me a break, guys. You can spin it all you want to, but in no way was P ever making a complete career to career comparison as Alex has only played two of his four years completely with 3 games into his third. Instead, it is a similar start comparison and that is all.

This is definitely a case where both Apples and Billy saw another opportunity to voice their opinion on Alex which is the same...so be it. We get it.

To be honest, P, I think this topic is so volatile that if Alex farted it would be compared to Terry's greatness....sheez....

Mmmm, I don't think so. You said that he is only comparing their "similar starts".

If that was the case, why didn't he compare Alex to QB's like David Carr, who also had terrible starts and faded away into nothing?
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
The question I have is, how many OC's did Bradshaw have??
Originally posted by Kolohe:

This is too much.
Originally posted by Peanut49:
Originally posted by waiting4number6:
If Alex Smith turns into Terry Bradshaw...
Bradshaw had multiple season with an under 50% passing. That means that unless our defense turns into an all-time defense we need a better quarterback, hey I love Terry, but he is one of the most over-rated QB's ever, it's just he has 4 rings, and played great when it counts. I'll take a boatload of QB's over Terry Bradshaw, so I hope Alex is much better than 'the Blonde Bomber.'

Rule changes geared towards more points and more passing? You must be 15 years old or just unaware of how the game used to be played.

Staubach wasn't that bad, Tarkenton wasn't that bad, hell for a while Craig Morton wasn't 'that bad'. Terry had some bad years, but most of the time it didn't matter cuz he had the Steel Curtain and Franco's Italian Army, and one of my favorite players of all time 'ol twinkle toes him self Rocky Blier. Terry reminds me of Roethlisberger because they are both overrated, but play on great teams with great defenses. Terry is a HOF, but as most non-Steeler fans know he's overrated, so like I said, unless Coach Singletary turns our defense into the '85 Bears or the Steeler Curtain, or our old defenses of the 80's I want somebody better than good ol' Terry.
[ Edited by waiting4number6 on Jul 7, 2009 at 1:29 PM ]
Originally posted by Apples:
Originally posted by Kolohe:

This is too much.

It doesn't make a difference.

Thanks man!
Originally posted by Apples:

Mmmm, I don't think so. You said that he is only comparing their "similar starts".

If that was the case, why didn't he compare Alex to QB's like David Carr, who also had terrible starts and faded away into nothing?

...because he wanted to compare to Terry Bradshaw is my guess...

Oh I do think so, Apples. It is because he wanted to compare to Terry Bradshaw a supposedly successful QB as opposed to Carr whose career failed as well as the other busts you mentioned.

Hmmmm...maybe PTulini wanted to compare Alex to a more favorable and successful QB to show that there may still be hope?

Like I said man, geez...
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by billybonka:

Originally posted by Nes49:

I'm gonna take a wild guess... that's billybonka's boyfriend.
Originally posted by Nes49:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbGkxcY7YFU
Share 49ersWebzone