There are 215 users in the forums

QB Competition

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by niner4life21:
Originally posted by dbdublin:
Originally posted by fister30:
I am going on record here. If Alex wins the QB competition and finishes the season in the top ten for QB rating or throws for 20 TD's I will purchase an Alex Smith Jersey and sport it on future game days.

Unfortunately I bought one when he was drafted. haven't touched the thing for almost 3 years....Rotting in my closet.

What size is it? May I have it? It's two 1's. Ones make fat guys look thinner.

ummm idk.... lets see until after preseason... if he sucks, then ill see what i can do to send it to you... if he plays well, then I guess i'm gonna have to dust it off and put it on.

What if he loses out in the preseason but comes in mid-season to lead us to the playoffs . you gon call db and tell him to send it back?
Originally posted by ruthless49er:
Originally posted by dbdublin:
Originally posted by fister30:
I am going on record here. If Alex wins the QB competition and finishes the season in the top ten for QB rating or throws for 20 TD's I will purchase an Alex Smith Jersey and sport it on future game days.

Unfortunately I bought one when he was drafted. haven't touched the thing for almost 3 years....Rotting in my closet.

What size is it? May I have it? It's two 1's. Ones make fat guys look thinner.

ummm idk.... lets see until after preseason... if he sucks, then ill see what i can do to send it to you... if he plays well, then I guess i'm gonna have to dust it off and put it on.

What if he loses out in the preseason but comes in mid-season to lead us to the playoffs . you gon call db and tell him to send it back?

lol......well i didn't think it would get that complicated...
i think this is the best words of the day on the qb competition from sing himself;

On who is the leading candidate to start at quarterback:

It doesn’t matter where we are today. I want to find the guy who is going to lead this team. Right now, I’m not seeing that guy. If you ask me to pick one of them now, I’m guessing. I don’t want to guess. I’ll say it is this guy today, but tomorrow it might be that other guy, and I don’t want to do that. I want those guys to compete on a level ground, and at some point in time, one guy will be better than the other and we’ll know that is the guy. That is when I will answer that quarterback question. Answering it now, to me, doesn’t make sense. It’s not going to be effective either way if I had to pick one today.”

I appreciate his straight forwardness. and regardless of our opinions, neither is clearly the guy, just yet.
I'm giving both of these guys a BYE for week one of training camp. I think they need to get into a rhythm again after having a few weeks off since the end OTAs. After week one, we'll begin to see what they can really do!

[ Edited by PTulini on Aug 1, 2009 at 15:15:49 ]
  • indianajim
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by PTulini:
I'm giving both of these guys a BYE for week one of training camp. I think they need to get into a rhythm again after having a few weeks off since the end OTAs. After week one, we'll begin to see what they can really do!

Yeah, it's all fun for bragging rights for your guy, but in the end, day 1 is day 1.
Quote:
Quarterback Alex Smith heard cheers from the crowd in the 49ers' afternoon practice, as he looked particularly sharp in the team's 11-on-11 drills.
Smith and wide receiver Brandon Jones hooked up on two beautiful deep passes. Jones went over Allen Rossum to catch the first one. On the second, Smith hit Jones in stride some 40 yards down the field on a flea-flicker to beat the coverage of Nate Clements for a TD.

The offense was a little sharper in the afternoon, as Shaun Hill completed 10 of 11 passes (mostly short throws), while Smith connected on 7 of 8 attempts.

Both QBs Look Sharp in Afternoon Session
In your opinion, after Day 1 of training camp, How did Alex and Shaun do? Who wins Day 1?

[ Edited by PTulini on Aug 1, 2009 at 20:28:05 ]
Originally posted by PTulini:
In your opinion, after Day 1 of training camp, How did Alex and Shaun do? Who wins Day 1?

Look at Smith's back shoulder in the first photo; the reason for many of his over-thrown passes.
this pic is great lol
Originally posted by ObePwnD:
Look at Smith's back shoulder in the first photo; the reason for many of his over-thrown passes.

Just curious, but why do you say that?

-9fA

Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

-9fA

The dipping of his rear shoulder. The over-thown passes reference is to his past game play, not this training camp.

-9fA

The dipping of his rear shoulder. The over-thown passes reference is to his past game play, not this training camp.

Yep. Dipping your back shoulder makes your body aim upward, so when you release the ball it goes higher than normal. Which contributes to overthrown passes.

5 years into the NFL after being the #1 overall pick and not having decent mechanics.

-9fA

Yep. Dipping your back shoulder makes your body aim upward, so when you release the ball it goes higher than normal. Which contributes to overthrown passes.

5 years into the NFL after being the #1 overall pick and not having decent mechanics.

Maybe he was throwing a deep ball?
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:

-9fA

Lol, who the f**k knows.....

I can't deny or confirm whether hes done that in a game before, but I remember Jaws saying on MNF against the Hawks that his mechanics were f**ked up....
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:

-9fA

Maybe, Lam, but it was a documented problem of his at one time. Hopefully it is remedied.
Share 49ersWebzone