There are 270 users in the forums

QB Competition

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by D_Niner:
Originally posted by aacadena:
What's even more crazy is that im not completely sold on S.Hill. He's 7-3 record is nice, but his deep ball throw is horrendous, i remember that Underthrown ball to B. Johnson against the cowboys that was intercepted in the Endzone and the other underthrown ball against The Rams to Jason Hill that luckily Josh Morgan caught to win us the game.

I wouldn't trust anyone that's completely sold on either of these guys. Only thing Smith's proven, so far, is that he shouldn't have been the first overall pick. And, Hill, where he's a gamer, his arm strength limits the team (but his accuracy and football smarts somewhat make up for that).

The good news, though, is that Hill has been effective moving the O and putting points on the board. If Smith beats him out, I would expect that he will at least be as productive as Hill was last year.

Excellent post, and this is how Alex supporters feel in a nutshell. If Alex beats Hill out next month, then the belief is that Alex can do as well as Hill did. Add to that, the overall belief that Alex can get even better as he rolls along, where the ceiling on Hill is believed much lower. Bottom line, and the most telling thing in all of this = The Alex supporters also support Hill, yet most of the Hill supporters do not support Alex. That's a shame...

Good post old dude...

I would have to say that I'm more of a Hill supporter though. I think the level headed Hill supporters would love for Alex to prove us wrong; but, we don't think he's capable of being anything more than a below average game managing QB.

Competition starts tomorrow; so lets see how these guys look when the heats turned up.

Go Niners
What's even more crazy is that im not completely sold on S.Hill. He's 7-3 record is nice, but his deep ball throw is horrendous, i remember that Underthrown ball to B. Johnson against the cowboys that was intercepted in the Endzone and the other underthrown ball against The Rams to Jason Hill that luckily Josh Morgan caught to win us the game.

I wouldn't trust anyone that's completely sold on either of these guys. Only thing Smith's proven, so far, is that he shouldn't have been the first overall pick. And, Hill, where he's a gamer, his arm strength limits the team (but his accuracy and football smarts somewhat make up for that).

The good news, though, is that Hill has been effective moving the O and putting points on the board. If Smith beats him out, I would expect that he will at least be as productive as Hill was last year.

Excellent post, and this is how Alex supporters feel in a nutshell. If Alex beats Hill out next month, then the belief is that Alex can do as well as Hill did. Add to that, the overall belief that Alex can get even better as he rolls along, where the ceiling on Hill is believed much lower. Bottom line, and the most telling thing in all of this = The Alex supporters also support Hill, yet most of the Hill supporters do not support Alex. That's a shame...

Good post old dude...

I would have to say that I'm more of a Hill supporter though. I think the level headed Hill supporters would love for Alex to prove us wrong; but, we don't think he's capable of being anything more than a below average game managing QB.

Competition starts tomorrow; so lets see how these guys look when the heats turned up.

Go Niners

Thanks, and I don't think supporters of Alex would fault you for having doubts about him. He does have much to prove still. It's the ones who claim to know that he will forever fail that creates such a volatile line in the sand. I just hope that all fans keep 1 thing in mind. Keep it fair... We need to eliminate the double standards when placing blame and praise for either. If we are to point at the OL or receivers to diminish or elevate blame on the QB? It has to go for both QBs. I have a feeling we are gonna see a lot of "oh, but he was throwing against the 2nd string defense" or "the starting OL were not in to block for him." We need to see everything on equal terms here, or it's chaos all over again.
Who else is ready to roll? LETS GO NINERS!

[ Edited by PTulini on Jul 31, 2009 at 13:10:26 ]
Michael Vick! Michael Vick! Michael Vick! Michael Vick! Michael Vick! Michael Vick! Michael Vick! Michael Vick! Michael Vick! Michael Vick! Michael Vick! Michael Vick!Michael Vick! Michael Vick! Michael Vick!
As long as posters like this ^ are allowed here, this forum will suffer. Just something to think about, mods... if you bother to read many threads.

(yeah... I said it...)

You sir are correct! 100%
Originally posted by PTulini:
Who else is ready to roll? LETS GO NINERS!

Seriously I'm ready to get this show on the road. I wish our tcs were televised.
Hill has leadership and ability but where is his ceiling? Alex Smith is the whipping boy right now but who will change their tune if he becomes successful? Ultimately I think that Smith will be aa better quarterback than Hill. Last question is will it be with the niners?
Originally posted by danimal:
You know what is crazy. I am not even sure I would be sold on Tom Brady or Peyton Manning after a 2 year layoff.

I don't think anyone has really claimed to be SURE on Alex becoming wonderful. Only that he should have an opportunity and doesn't suck as badly as many claim. The only crowd that is living in absolutes are the haters, or blind lovers of Hill that attempt to knock down Alex to raise up their boy Hill.

This is what bothers me most,I do not understand the guys that are absolutely sure that Smith will fail...there seem to be guys even wanting him to fail.I have been accused of being a Smith apologist by some of the less open minded fans,but the reality of it is that I support all of the players on my team because that is what kind of fan I am.I find myself defending Smith because he is easily the most criticized Niner,some even claim he has never done anything to show he can be a NFL QB.If the roles were reversed and Hill were the one being subjected to the undue criticism,I would be doing the same for him.I personally think our QB situation is not as dire as some of the more neurotic posters claim.I have a gut feeling that we will have a good season upcoming,and I think I speak for us all when I say that we as faithful fans of the greatest franchise in NFL deserve it.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by danimal:
You know what is crazy. I am not even sure I would be sold on Tom Brady or Peyton Manning after a 2 year layoff.

I don't think anyone has really claimed to be SURE on Alex becoming wonderful. Only that he should have an opportunity and doesn't suck as badly as many claim. The only crowd that is living in absolutes are the haters, or blind lovers of Hill that attempt to knock down Alex to raise up their boy Hill.

This is what bothers me most,I do not understand the guys that are absolutely sure that Smith will fail...there seem to be guys even wanting him to fail.I have been accused of being a Smith apologist by some of the less open minded fans,but the reality of it is that I support all of the players on my team because that is what kind of fan I am.I find myself defending Smith because he is easily the most criticized Niner,some even claim he has never done anything to show he can be a NFL QB.If the roles were reversed and Hill were the one being subjected to the undue criticism,I would be doing the same for him.I personally think our QB situation is not as dire as some of the more neurotic posters claim.I have a gut feeling that we will have a good season upcoming,and I think I speak for us all when I say that we as faithful fans of the greatest franchise in NFL deserve it.

I have to agree. I have had to defend Smith numerous times to Dallas, Seattle, St. Louis, etc. fans. While I am a Hill supporter, if Smith succeeds, I do wish him the best. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that he has been given a raw deal so far in the NFL.

A have a female friend that I constantly have to remind the AS is a niner, and if he happens to win the job, supporting him will only prove beneficial. We are no experts on football (even though we all like to think it), therefore if he gets the nod, they feel he is better suited to start...
I have to admit that I truly feel that the front office to include the coach wants Smith to become a starter. If I had to forecast who will start I would say it will be smith at this point. Hill might have some trade value during the last week before teams have to cut down to 53. Some team out there will probably lose a QB to injury.

The niners will have the option of placing Davis on the PS or trading Hill to a team that needs a potential starter. Teams can't wait and hope that the niners will cut Hill.

Originally posted by fister30:
I have to admit that I truly feel that the front office to include the coach wants Smith to become a starter. If I had to forecast who will start I would say it will be smith at this point. Hill might have some trade value during the last week before teams have to cut down to 53. Some team out there will probably lose a QB to injury.

The niners will have the option of placing Davis on the PS or trading Hill to a team that needs a potential starter. Teams can't wait and hope that the niners will cut Hill.

This is good thought I have been having the same thought. If Hill gets it handed to him in TC I do believe that they will trade Hill. They want this to be Alex's team.
The stat that Hill has only beat teams that have a combined record of 44-69 does not bode well for him and the fact that he severely limits the offense does not bode well either.
Originally posted by fister30:

I do not think that Hill is going anywhere,if he isn't the starter,he will be very valuable as the backup.
Hill's stats were on the decline thru the end of the season last year meaning the league was catching up quickly. Did anybody watch the Buffalo game he played horribly. Did anybody Rams game we only won that by luck he played horribly through out the game. Does anybody remember he was going to be benches in favor of the turn over machine O'Sullivan wake up people he sucks!!!

Good post old dude...

Go Niners

Competition starts tomorrow, what competition the Mangment are going for Alex and i want to see when live bullets flay around not in training camp when pass rushers can't touch the QB's !
Originally posted by cNiner:

Good post old dude...

Go Niners

Competition starts tomorrow, what competition the Mangment are going for Alex and i want to see when live bullets flay around not in training camp when pass rushers can't touch the QB's !

Once again in english please.
Share 49ersWebzone