LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 287 users in the forums

QB Sam Darnold is a Viking

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JTB1974:
I find it funny that Darnold has been in the league like 5 years and has failed everywhere and today still has trouble reading defenses but yet every media outlet are making excuses and willing to give him chance after chance. But Trey who is 22 and played 4 games is never going to be good according to these same people.

Darnold percentage wise statistically has had a better career than Lance thus in the NFL and he's been forced to play on some really bad teams with limited talent and had to overcome some really bad coaching vs Lance who's had otherworldly talent surrounding him his first two seasons and a good HC in Kyle.
Darnold played on two teams that had zero chance of winning. The Jets is where QBs go to die. I don't know how well he will adapt to Kyle's system but he's still young and worth a look.
Originally posted by 4thandlong:
If Lance cant beat out Darnold alarm bells will be going off.
He's been in the system for 3 years its make or break for him next season.

Or... Hear me out on this... OR maybe it could be Sam Darnold turned a corner and we just got a tremendously talented young QB who no longer shoots the team in the foot.

^^ Optimist version.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I find it funny that Darnold has been in the league like 5 years and has failed everywhere and today still has trouble reading defenses but yet every media outlet are making excuses and willing to give him chance after chance. But Trey who is 22 and played 4 games is never going to be good according to these same people.

Sam Darnold head coaches over a 5 season career: Todd Bowles, Adam Gase (twice), Matt Rhule (trash), Steve Wilks (who he played the best for 6 games). Funny that you can straight up look at Darnold and straight up make up your mind about him, but if that were Trey Lance you would be telling the exact thing I just told you. With that said, what QB could succeed under that circumstance with those head coaches??
[ Edited by Kolohe on Mar 31, 2023 at 9:04 AM ]
Originally posted by Kolohe:

Sam Darnold head coaches over a 5 season career: Todd Bowles, Adam Gase (twice), Matt Rhule (trash), Steve Wilks (who he played the best for 6 games). Funny that you can straight up look at Darnold and straight up make up your mind about him, but if that were Trey Lance you would be telling the exact thing I just told you. With that said, what QB could succeed under that circumstance with those head coaches??

Herbert has had Anthony Lynn and Brandon Staley yet everyone knows he's a stud QB. Stud QB talent finds a way to show itself regardless of the situation. This isn't old-school NFL where prospects can get overlooked to the degree they did in the day. There aren't any Steve Young stories in this modern era of the NFL. This is the era of information and the information that TWO teams in desperate need of a QB have on Darnold is that he's not that guy. Any 49ers fans getting their hopes up that Darnold is anything more than what he's already shown are naive fools imo.

only a matter of time before we see The Darnold
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by WINiner:

Herbert has had Anthony Lynn and Brandon Staley yet everyone knows he's a stud QB. Stud QB talent finds a way to show itself regardless of the situation. This isn't old-school NFL where prospects can get overlooked to the degree they did in the day. There aren't any Steve Young stories in this modern era of the NFL. This is the era of information and the information that TWO teams in desperate need of a QB have on Darnold is that he's not that guy. Any 49ers fans getting their hopes up that Darnold is anything more than what he's already shown are naive fools imo.

Oh so you're telling me that Trey Lance is a bust then!!!

And please don't compare Lynn and Staley to what Darnold has had in his career. Herbert has had a far better supporting cast than what Darnold has ever had. But I'm not gonna take anything away from what Herbert has accomplished, I'd take Herbert over 80% of the QB's in the NFL. And no, I won't get my hopes up for Darnold, I just think he's better than what he's been through over the years.
  • pdc20
  • Veteran
It´s not like people were asking Darnold to be a superstar with the Jets or even the Panthers. Just be a good young QB. He wasn´t even average. He was bad.
He started 55 games. It´s already his third team. Mayfield had Hue Jackson and Freddie Kitchens as coachs and he had a really good rookie season with the worst team in the league the year before. Do you want Baker on the team? I don´t.
More power to Kyle if he can make Darnold a good QB.
I´m just thinking that Sam is exactly the type of QB Shanahan will want to kill.
I would say this, at least Darnold is mobile. He´s not a statue. He can scramble and improvise. He´s actually really good at that. That´s a great thing that the three QBs on the roster can scramble. And I hope they draft someone mobile too at the draft. No Tanner McKee for me please.
Originally posted by pdc20:
It´s not like people were asking Darnold to be a superstar with the Jets or even the Panthers. Just be a good young QB. He wasn´t even average. He was bad.
He started 55 games. It´s already his third team. Mayfield had Hue Jackson and Freddie Kitchens as coachs and he had a really good rookie season with the worst team in the league the year before. Do you want Baker on the team? I don´t.
More power to Kyle if he can make Darnold a good QB.
I´m just thinking that Sam is exactly the type of QB Shanahan will want to kill.
I would say this, at least Darnold is mobile. He´s not a statue. He can scramble and improvise. He´s actually really good at that. That´s a great thing that the three QBs on the roster can scramble. And I hope they draft someone mobile too at the draft. No Tanner McKee for me please.

Darnold is also an excellent passer. I'm not saying he's going to be good here. I'm just saying if he's going to be good, it's going to be with Shanahan as his coach.
I am glad they added him. Trey is an unknown and I actually think Sam can do good things here. I really believe it is the system that is breeding success, not so much QB excellence.

Not saying Brock didn't play great. He absolutely crushed it. But that said the offense is super QB friendly IMO. Good running game and good to elite skill players to target on offense. Makes it easier for sure. Sam will thrive here. Kyle is no dummy.

Originally posted by jcs:
Darnold percentage wise statistically has had a better career than Lance thus in the NFL and he's been forced to play on some really bad teams with limited talent and had to overcome some really bad coaching vs Lance who's had otherworldly talent surrounding him his first two seasons and a good HC in Kyle.

4 Games vs 55. Totally fair comparison.
  • dj43
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
Darnold is also an excellent passer. I'm not saying he's going to be good here. I'm just saying if he's going to be good, it's going to be with Shanahan as his coach.
...and that is the guy that thinks Darnold is worth investing in regardless of his past experience.

Do we trust our coach or no?
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
...and that is the guy that thinks Darnold is worth investing in regardless of his past experience.

Do we trust our coach or no?

This was the David Carr take, basically he loves Darnold in our O.. and is probably seeing what KS is seeing here.
I don't see how people could be mad at this signing? Darnold is an ideal backup and he's young still. If for some reason Darnold had to play the whole season I think we can win atleast 10 games with him. I don't see the reason to bash every other QB on our roster. Let's hope they are all healthy come week 1 and remain that way the whole season and let the best QB win
Originally posted by Luckycharms:
I don't see how people could be mad at this signing? Darnold is an ideal backup and he's young still. If for some reason Darnold had to play the whole season I think we can win atleast 10 games with him. I don't see the reason to bash every other QB on our roster. Let's hope they are all healthy come week 1 and remain that way the whole season and let the best QB win

Lol no. Not unless he cuts his turnover to game ratio by about 65%.

Heres the thing though. We know by now shanny HATES superstar qbs who go for the big play. He wants game manager qbs who can execute the safe play, take time off the clock, and get at least 3 points after 4 to 6 minutes.

Darnold is a young guy with athletic talent who wants to prove he can do it all, make the big play, get the big contract he rightfully deserves (now that hes not playing for bottom feeders).

So, I see two trains coming at each other. Not sure Darnold is mature enough to switch tracks. We shall see.
[ Edited by brodiebluebanaszak on Apr 1, 2023 at 7:01 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone