There are 182 users in the forums

QB openings vs QBs available

Shop 49ers game tickets
Wanted to put this down to see/show which teams need starting QBs, who's available, and how many teams may be stuck without a chair when the music stops. This is not an exhaustive list of QBs, but you get the idea.

Running it back (I dont think NY or Sea should break the bank for these 2, since they're worth significantly less to any other team)
Giants - Daniel Jones
Seahawks - Geno Smith

Could stay put, but could move on
Packers - Rodgers (Love would start)
Ravens - Jackson (would need a starter)
Titans - Tannehill (Willis might not be ready to start)

Rookie QBs (plus possible bridge QB)
Texans
Colts
Seahawks/Lions (possible future QBs given draft position)

Could use a starting QB
Falcons (Ridder?)
Commanders (Howell?)
Buccaneers (Trask?)

Need a starting QB
Jets
Saints
Panthers (Corral?)
Raiders

Starting QBs
Available
Carr
Garoppolo
Might be available
Rodgers
Jackson
Tannehill

Bridge QBs and others (just biggest names)
Mayfield
Brissett
Bridgewater
Dalton
Heinicke
Minshew
Stidham
Wentz
Darnold

So there are 4 teams that need a starting-caliber QB, 3 teams that could use one and only 2 QBs currently available--Carr and Garoppolo. If Rodgers is traded, then 1 to 4 teams could still use a QB and if Jackson and/or Tannehill are traded, that number basically remains the same since those teams would need a starter (Willis is not ready).

This is why no one should be surprised by how much Carr and Jimmy will get...and it will be a lot.
we saw Stidham he looked pretty good, if I am Raiders I offer multi year at pretty reasonable price say 4 years 40 mil to Stidham and you can get out after 2 years.. does Stidham find better than this on the market probably not..

Lamar and Jones stay or fill a starter spot elsewhere
Carr lands to the team willing to go in for a big contract.. Jones gets a big one, Lamar a big deal, etc

Saints have Winston, if they are going for a QB it's perhaps cuz they cut Winston. Winston and Baker are former #1 overall picks in their prime. They may be more attractive due to their younger age, their potential and their durability over JG, or over Tannehill who is 34.

Rook class may give 3-4 starters
Minshew may get a starter gig as two teams with PHI ties landed HC jobs, ARZ and IND I could see him starting either place, in ARZ if Murray isn't ready week 1.
If I'm Carr I'm going to the Panthers. GTFO of the AFC and run the NFC south for a few years
Saints have Jameis
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Saints have Jameis

For now. Crabman is a rumored cut candidate. He may eat a W.. as in waivers.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Saints have Jameis

i don't think they can afford to cut him
Heinicke would be perfect for us too.
I heard the 49ers like Baker Mayfield a lot. Could boil down to Mayfield or Lance as they're healthy quarterbacks. Mayfield plays well in rain and Lance's hands are too small to grip a wet ball
Originally posted by ImRicky:
I heard the 49ers like Baker Mayfield a lot. Could boil down to Mayfield or Lance as they're healthy quarterbacks. Mayfield plays well in rain and Lance's hands are too small to grip a wet ball

Honestly, I wouldn't be too upset with Mayfield starting a few games. Kyle could "get by" with him if need be.
  • dj43

I've always felt Mayfield needed a "stronger hand" in control of him. Kyle and his no-nonsense approach might be able to keep him focused and on task. He has the tools. He has the tools, he just needs to stay in control. My .02...

Saints have Jameis

Mr Att... WHERE YOU AT!?
Saints have Jameis

Mr Att... WHERE YOU AT!?
still on the team

they would have to eat all of his salary. would be better to keep him since they are already paying for him.
Saints have Jameis

Mr Att... WHERE YOU AT!?
still on the team

they would have to eat all of his salary. would be better to keep him since they are already paying for him.

it was funny also can't afford to cut him but they can afford a brand new Carr
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dj43:

I've always felt Mayfield needed a "stronger hand" in control of him. Kyle and his no-nonsense approach might be able to keep him focused and on task. He has the tools. He has the tools, he just needs to stay in control. My .02...

Maybe, but he's been in the league long enough that there will be diminishing returns with him. I could see him as a fit for TB. Or he returns to LAR as a good backup and eventual successor to Stafford. Both of those are likely better options than being QB2 -> QB3 once Purdy returns.
Saints have Jameis

Mr Att... WHERE YOU AT!?
still on the team

it was funny also can't afford to cut him but they can afford a brand new Carr
after Carr who will they have ?

that is the affordability part you are missing
Share 49ersWebzone