LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 258 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by BleedsRedNGold:
Just great. Another one and done coordinator that will feed off of Kyle's success. Bitter sweet moment. I think he's a good one but he's head coach material which means we'll lose him after one or two seasons.

So in a year or two, assuming he does a good job, Wilks could get hired as HC of some team, we'll land two thirds, and be ready for another influx of fresh ideas on the defensive side of the ball. I think Kyle actually likes this scenario better than having a stalwart defensive coach for years.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

I agree. Dude is experienced, he's a leader, his players love him, and he seems to fit our culture perfectly.

DT Derrick Brown on Wilks after the season: "I'll speak for everybody in that locker room in saying we want Coach Wilks to be our next head coach. That's for sure," Brown said. "I think every single week we're gonna come in, he's gonna tell you exactly how it is. He doesn't sugarcoat nothing. He keeps it Plain Jane, per se. He lets you know exactly what's going on.

"You could be one of the best players, but you walk into that building on Monday, he's gonna tell you exactly how he felt about how you played. That level of clarity, that's exactly what we want."

Wilks was an integral part of Ron Rivera's Panthers teams that made four playoff appearances in five years with three NFC South titles and a trip to Super Bowl 50 in 2015, first serving as defensive backs coach before adopting assistant head coach and defensive coordinator duties.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/panthers-derrick-brown-says-everybody-on-team-wants-steve-wilks-as-next-head-coach
Welcome Steve Wilks to the 49ers
Originally posted by BleedsRedNGold:
Just great. Another one and done coordinator that will feed off of Kyle's success. Bitter sweet moment. I think he's a good one but he's head coach material which means we'll lose him after one or two seasons.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing but I'm still glad we got a top-notch guy for that position. I'd like to see us groom more "Demeco Ryans" type coaches on our staff but it seems like we just keep getting pillaged of our coaches each year.
Originally posted by thl408:
I like his experience and how CAR players had nice things to say about him.

Also a dedicated 4-3 guy too.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by 49er-from-Yavin-IV:
Originally posted by bmvanthiel:
If he does really well and becomes a head coach next year, do we get more comp picks then?

Yes.

The San Francisco 49CompPicks

Hell yeah. If Steve Wilks does well enough to get poached from our staff, then the draft picks will be a nice consolation prize.

I kind of hope he does well for us and stays a part of the organization.

Given his history if he does well, or more importantly given the owners' historical process, he may not become the hottest candidate on the market.
Originally posted by IGSXIII:
So in a year or two, assuming he does a good job, Wilks could get hired as HC of some team, we'll land two thirds, and be ready for another influx of fresh ideas on the defensive side of the ball. I think Kyle actually likes this scenario better than having a stalwart defensive coach for years.

They only get picks if he's around for two years.
I think this is a great hire. What I like best is that Wilks seems to be a "leader of men" which Ryans was as well.
Originally posted by 49er-from-Yavin-IV:
Originally posted by bmvanthiel:
If he does really well and becomes a head coach next year, do we get more comp picks then?

Yes.

No. He has to be in his position for at least two years.

Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by Heroism:
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Rock Paper Scissors for it

when my thread gets the Official flair next to the title

I started the DeMeco thread. This is a good omen.

You beat him by a New York minute.

My s**tty Wifi at my work
Glad he's an older dude. that's gonna help.
Incredible hire. Wilks will do great here!
I think when Shanahan / Lynch spoke about continuity they weren't only talking schematically, but they wanted a DC who would approach the process in a similar way that Saleh and Ryans did. Vic Fangio is a great DC, but he's a guy who sits in the booth away from the action. Wilks will be on the sideline like Saleh and Ryans. It's debatable what, if any, value this has to the defense. Schematics is obviously #1, but it's clear to me that the Niners consider character and process as a strong #2 or else they would not have allowed Vic Fangio to leave SF without a job.
  • thl408
Saleh was 'All gas, no breaks'.
Ryans was S.W.A.R.M. (Special work ethic and relentless mindset)
Wilks is....?
Share 49ersWebzone