LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 301 users in the forums

Justin Fields and his Steelers

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by DrippinGoldnRed805:
You can't compare oranges to apples stop with the comparison Trey Lance hasn't even played a whole season to even judge smh 🤦🏾‍♂️🤦🏾‍♂️ you fans are delusional for trying to compare their careers wait 5 years from now let's revisit this talk

5 years in the league or 5 years of playing time? Just want to know the parameters you set forth for when it's acceptable to compare players. I don't think saying Nick Bosa is great is delusional cause he hasn't played 5 years.
Originally posted by DrippinGoldnRed805:
You can't compare oranges to apples stop with the comparison Trey Lance hasn't even played a whole season to even judge smh 🤦🏾‍♂️🤦🏾‍♂️ you fans are delusional for trying to compare their careers wait 5 years from now let's revisit this talk

Que? Comparing QB to QB isn't apples to oranges. No one is waiting til 2045 or any other multi year timeframe to compare. You can compare and say what you have seen to date.

The fact TL hasn't played a whole season is two-fold. One, he has injury/durability issues. Two, he wasn't able to beat out even a busted up JG in 2021. Saying Fields is off to a better start is factual.. you can say that and also say the book isn't written on either of these guys yet
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Que? Comparing QB to QB isn't apples to oranges. No one is waiting til 2045 or any other multi year timeframe to compare. You can compare and say what you have seen to date.

The fact TL hasn't played a whole season is two-fold. One, he has injury/durability issues. Two, he wasn't able to beat out even a busted up JG in 2021. Saying Fields is off to a better start is factual.. you can say that and also say the book isn't written on either of these guys yet

One is a possibility, but not a given as of yet. Two is complete nonsense, and you know this. There was never a competition.

As far as off to a better start, the only reason its factual is because he has been playing. Fields has been terrible to start his NFL career. Terrible.
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:

One is a possibility, but not a given as of yet. Two is complete nonsense, and you know this. There was never a competition.

As far as off to a better start, the only reason its factual is because he has been playing. Fields has been terrible to start his NFL career. Terrible.

Why was there never a competition? It's factual to say he didn't beat out JG on the chart. He only started when JG was injured, year 1. My opinion to why you say there was no competition is KS knew what the result would be. TL was that raw/young.

Fields also sat to start and beat out Dalton year 1. Watching the games, Fields played very well at NE. I heard during the week I think Greeny saying no way he goes into NE vs Belichick and does anything. Bears stomped.

Check these team stats from last week:

CHI 45-243-2 (rushes, rush yds, rush TDs)
NE 19-70-1

That's domination. Fields plays a big role in this Bear run game. He's still non-functional as a drop back passer imo. He can give chunk plays in the pass game tho with backyard style football. They just gotta let him run, he can run very well, both for yds and to extend pass plays.
Bears are using him just like Kyle used Lance, funny
Why was there never a competition? It's factual to say he didn't beat out JG on the chart. He only started when JG was injured, year 1. My opinion to why you say there was no competition is KS knew what the result would be. TL was that raw/young.

Fields also sat to start and beat out Dalton year 1. Watching the games, Fields played very well at NE. I heard during the week I think Greeny saying no way he goes into NE vs Belichick and does anything. Bears stomped.

Check these team stats from last week:

CHI 45-243-2 (rushes, rush yds, rush TDs)
NE 19-70-1

That's domination. Fields plays a big role in this Bear run game. He's still non-functional as a drop back passer imo. He can give chunk plays in the pass game tho with backyard style football. They just gotta let him run, he can run very well, both for yds and to extend pass plays.

He's still a very poor passer with even worse awareness, but a good runner
I still think people should watch/listen to the breakdowns Dilfer does with a Chicago/Bears network that can be seen on YouTube.

Dilfer wasn't a very good NFL QB although he had a lengthy career. But he's a very bright guy and articulate when it comes to discussing the position and what a guy should and shouldn't be doing. I think he sees a lot of potential in Fields and graded him pretty well even after the Washington game. I know Warner has reservations but also sees potential. Both I think are bright guys when it comes to the position and the game.

Fields I suspect will be fine if and when they get him some help. But there's a lot of people who just look and say, "he's an Ohio State QB and we didn't draft him so he blows."
Originally posted by OhioNiner:
I still think people should watch/listen to the breakdowns Dilfer does with a Chicago/Bears network that can be seen on YouTube.

Dilfer wasn't a very good NFL QB although he had a lengthy career. But he's a very bright guy and articulate when it comes to discussing the position and what a guy should and shouldn't be doing. I think he sees a lot of potential in Fields and graded him pretty well even after the Washington game. I know Warner has reservations but also sees potential. Both I think are bright guys when it comes to the position and the game.

Fields I suspect will be fine if and when they get him some help. But there's a lot of people who just look and say, "he's an Ohio State QB and we didn't draft him so he blows."

He's a lot better than what Trey Lance has shown so far. It's not even close. Better runner, much faster, extends plays outside the pocket, better at backyard football, stronger arm, much more durable.

They both struggle from the pocket for now. But at least Fields has shown something. Instead of nothing.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
He's a lot better than what Trey Lance has shown so far. It's not even close. Better runner, much faster, extends plays outside the pocket, better at backyard football, stronger arm, much more durable.

They both struggle from the pocket for now. But at least Fields has shown something. Instead of nothing.

In Treys games so far Trey has been a lot better as a passer and it's not even close. Fields is a turnover machine, holds the ball too long and doesn't have the situational awareness that Trey has but hey, at least Fields is a better runner
[ Edited by elguapo on Oct 29, 2022 at 3:38 PM ]
Originally posted by elguapo:

In Treys games so far Trey has been a lot better as a passer and it's not even close. Fields is a turnover machine, holds the ball too long and doesn't have the situational awareness that Trey has but hey, at least Fields is a better runner

Trey hasn't shown anything at all. Fields has at least shown something. Also look at the teams they are on. The Bears have nothing like CMC, Kittle, Deebo, Aiyuk, E Mitchell, Trent Williams. Man the talent around him is far, far superior on the 49ers. I would expect Fields to be a completely different player here. Fields is throwing to scrubs like Dante Pettis. We've seen how bad he is first hand. With a scrub offensive line too. He doesn't have anything to work with there.

Trey hasn't shown anything at all. Fields has at least shown something. Also look at the teams they are on. The Bears have nothing like CMC, Kittle, Deebo, Aiyuk, E Mitchell, Trent Williams. Man the talent around him is far, far superior on the 49ers. I would expect Fields to be a completely different player here. Fields is throwing to scrubs like Dante Pettis. We've seen how bad he is first hand. With a scrub offensive line too. He doesn't have anything to work with there.

He also has alot less pressure in Chicago. And let's be honest, If he was the Niners QB you would be trashing him just as much as Trey. Because he is not average Jimmy.

Trey has already shown something, maybe you didn't watch the games he was in. You must've missed them and not seen any of chicagos games where they are HIDING Fields because he is a turnover machine and that has nothing to do with the players around him. His poor decision-making is on him taking unnecessary sacks throwing unnecessary interceptions and poor decisions, that is all him. That has nothing to do with the players around him.

Trey has already shown something, maybe you didn't watch the games he was in. You must've missed them and not seen any of chicagos games where they are HIDING Fields because he is a turnover machine and that has nothing to do with the players around him. His poor decision-making is on him taking unnecessary sacks throwing unnecessary interceptions and poor decisions, that is all him. That has nothing to do with the players around him.

Except of course the turnover machine just had a zero turnover game against what has been a very good Dallas defense.

And why would it have "nothing" to do with the players around him? When you're a young player at quarterback and expectations and hopes are high that you will be the face of the franchise it's actually fairly common for players like that to make mistakes in trying to do too much. I don't know why you (I think it was you) or whoever would think there is less pressure on him in Chicago. Sure the team isn't expected to do much. But they have only been looking for a consistent name brand QB for that organization than probably longer than the 46 years that I have been on this earth.

Yeah, that was a weird play. I thought Parsons gave himself up by laying on the ground. Still, Fields should have touched him.

Either way, he was 17-23 for 151 with 2 td's and 0 interceptions, 120 QBR against the best pass rush in the NFL. Another 8 carries for 60 yards and a touchdown. Not to mention two touchdown drops.

He's getting better every single week. I hate that we have Lapdance Lance but it is what it is.
Share 49ersWebzone